Wofford tonight

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I don't know anything about the Wofford team, so I checked online to see what I would find.

The mighty Terriers are 5-7. Notable losses to LSU (22), Colorado (15), Miami (17), TCU (9) & Kent State(7). Wins against Austin Peay & Coastal Carolina and three non-entities. They've played a tough schedule and won't be intimidated by a P5 opponent.

Eleven guys play double digit minutes, so I expect frequent substitutions and assume that means we will see full court or 3/4 court pressure (think Cleveland State & Mouse McFadden). Opponents have been scoring in the 70s most games.

More than 20 3 point attempts per game and shoot 43% from range. Every shooter is above 40% from three except Nathan Hoover (35%).
209 assists on 333 FGM, so expect ball movement and not a lot of one-on-one iso, Eric Garcia leads with 5.1 assists.
Only take 15 FT per game, which seems in line with a jump shooting team.

Top 3 guys all play about 27 - 30 mins per game
Fletcher Magee 6'4" soph guard. 16.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.5 apg. 60% of his FGA are 3 pointers (43% from 3)
Ryan Sawvell 6' 8" 215 senior. 11.3 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.8 apg 30% of his FGA are from 3 (48% from 3)
Eric Garcia 6'0" senior PG. 10.8 ppg, 5.2 apg 4:1 Assist-to-TO 25% of FGA are from 3 (49% from 3)

Only one guy above 6'8": Matthew Pegram 6'11". Averages 14 min per game. 2.4 rpg (1 per 5.5 mins) averages 1 foul per 4 minutes of PT. Lammers and Q should be a huge focus for us. Would be good to see AD & Sly get some time also.

Seems like the game plan will be to limit open 3s, dominate the boards (on both ends), take care of the ball and pound the ball in to Ben. Would be great to see Okogie take on Magee defensively and use his length and strength to make it tough for him to score. Corey on Garcia could be fun to watch on D also. My guess is the story of the game will be their ability to force tempo and turnovers and hit threes versus our inside game and athletic wings.

Hoping we come out with a convincing win, but it seems like it will be a tougher test than I imagined when I saw it on the schedule

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Gotta hope Okogie and tadrick have the athleticism advantage to make plays against this crew along with Lammers. Then like you said defend the 3 and hopefully make a few ourselves but more likely the advantage will be at the FT line

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We saw Fletcher Magee as a frosh against us and he was impressive then. He can REALLY shoot it. If he puts Okogie in foul trouble and we have to rotate CMatt Heath Heyward and Jax through the 3 wing spots we could be in trouble here. Q is probably going to be the slowest guy on the court tonight as well. Bam-Bam (eh....) should have a huge game given how many jumpers they take. 15-15-6 type night for him. Can we make 5-8 threes and put them away?

If Okogie plays 27 minutes and stays out of foul trouble we should win by 12 or so.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Happy we won. Really happy that Magee missed four wide open 3s in the last 4 minutes.

We dodged a mid-major bullet, but I saw some bright spots. Lammers played well (again). Okogie played really solid d on Magee and didn't foul. He used his feet and didn't reach. Tadric had a 3 minute burst in the first half that took us from down 6 (21-15) to up 6 (29-23) in a short period. Heath played the best I've seen in his time at Tech. It wasn't world-beating, but he didn't kill us either.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
First half we played with no movement at all. Second half somewhat better. Lammers was routinely having a cup of coffee waiting on folks who were supposed to be cutting off of him.

Three point defense was just OK But we were athletic enough against them to get to the rim.

Not sure if tadrick' minutes got cut for cramps or turnovers but I thought he played about the best I have seen him play.

Good win. Would have been a worse loss. On to murderers row

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Saw only the stats--really scary that we shot 52%Fgs, 45% 3s, 77% FTs and still only won by FOUR. -and their biggest guy was 6-8. They got 10 Off rebs and 1 guy was 6-9 from 3 for them.
We would be a force-------in the Southern conference-maybe.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
First half we played with no movement at all. Second half somewhat better. Lammers was routinely having a cup of coffee waiting on folks who were supposed to be cutting off of him.

Three point defense was just OK But we were athletic enough against them to get to the rim.

Not sure if tadrick' minutes got cut for cramps or turnovers but I thought he played about the best I have seen him play.

Good win. Would have been a worse loss. On to murderers row
In the postgame presser, @dtm1997 posted above, CJP says Tadric's hamstring and some exhaustion was bothering him in the second half.