Wofford Game Thoughts and Little Perspective

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Tevin was a tough kid, remember that shot he took against VT right before the interception a couple years ago?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Not too worried about hits to JT. Fast n quick...will be hard to pop in open field. And contrary to popular opinion..he's built fairly stout on that small frame.
He is that but so far ....the guys we play down the road may have something to do with him getting in open field.Yes he is built well but so are the DL and LBS.I will agree his speed and quickness are his big points on this offense and how well he plays sort of defines how well we do.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
he's definitely bigger than last year. and, he's slippery so someone popping him square is a little less likely unless he's blindsided. vad played scared in this O last year and didn't protect himself. he paid the price and became gunshy. JT will be fine if he plays his game and readies for hits or spins outta them completely.
I agree he is quick but nobody can continue to run this offense without taking licks.Nesbitt took many shots but he was big kid and Jaybo was too slow it seemed and TW did well adjusting to the pressure but folks are going to load up and come after him in the future.He is no Tracy but hell.........who is ? I do think he will make us a better team if he is healthy.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I agree that JT needs to get down as much as possible and not absorb big hits. I am not saying he is not tough, because I do not know that, but I do know that his body is not ideal to take huge hits. Joe Hamilton was built differently than JT in my opinion. I think it will be hard for PJ to call the midline option as often, even if it is there.
I agree Buzz..when we start playing guys who can put pressure on the pitch we can all agree that JT will be hammered .Joe to me ran a different type option and made his decision early so he had time to adjust to the DE.Gosh JN took hits and gave them too but JT is not built like a horse but he is fast and quick and must play well to make us go.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
In 1981 I watch unranked Tech beat #2 Alabama in Birmingham (24-21) the first game of the year (2nd game for Bama) Tech went on to lose the next 10 (being outscored 100-288 the rest of the season), Bama won the SEC with one tie and a loss in the Cotton Bowl to finish 9-2-1.
Remember that game.........around the courthouse we thought we had turned the corner and we had..........right into ten losses..........what a bad bad year.

I agree Buzz..when we start playing guys who can put pressure on the pitch we can all agree that JT will be hammered .Joe to me ran a different type option and made his decision early so he had time to adjust to the DE.Gosh JN took hits and gave them too but JT is not built like a horse but he is fast and quick and must play well to make us go.
As a practical matter, we can't really afford to enter into a war of attrition with anybody--at any position. Justin's quickness may allow him to avoid the clean, devastating hit most of the time. I am hoping that defenses begin to concern themselves with containing JT rather than trying to destroy him thus risking a big play by the quarterback. But I agree, JT on the keeper needs to become the exception rather than the rule. Maybe his passing will be successful enough that he doesn't end up gettin 25 carries a game like Tevin did, and like Vad sometimes did. I would like to see those pony A-backs we have run free with the pitch a lot, with JT keeping occasionally for a big, big gain.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I was pleasantly surprised by our OL pass blocking.I'm not sure that passing may not be our bigger OFF weapon this yr.We certainly did not blow powerful Woff off the field in running.
JT showed that can hit guys esp if they are #15.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As a practical matter, we can't really afford to enter into a war of attrition with anybody--at any position. Justin's quickness may allow him to avoid the clean, devastating hit most of the time. I am hoping that defenses begin to concern themselves with containing JT rather than trying to destroy him thus risking a big play by the quarterback. But I agree, JT on the keeper needs to become the exception rather than the rule. Maybe his passing will be successful enough that he doesn't end up gettin 25 carries a game like Tevin did, and like Vad sometimes did. I would like to see those pony A-backs we have run free with the pitch a lot, with JT keeping occasionally for a big, big gain.
I think we are going to see more teams try to mix up who the decide to take away. Wofford chose to cover the Bback almost every snap, most teams won't do that and I suspect we'll see our Bbacks prosper as long as our qb's are reading correctly.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I was pleasantly surprised by our OL pass blocking.I'm not sure that passing may not be our bigger OFF weapon this yr.We certainly did not blow powerful Woff off the field in running.
JT showed that can hit guys esp if they are #15.

IMO, if we continue to have a passing threat, it will open the floodgates for our offense.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
As I recall we did OK against NC in a heavy rain. Some reports from NOLA are predicting rain and therefore advantage to Tulane passing and disadvantage to GT running. What are your thoughts about the rain affecting the outcome?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
We have a solid 2 deep at qb. Not worried about the position. There's plenty of other positions to spend my worry chips.
Take your word for it but still wonder about the hits.......good kid and he wants to play qb as evident by leaving Bama.Need him to run this thing.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
My friend no one can remember but fourty years ago plus I used to coach defense in HS at Wrens and Louiville and Thomas Jefferson and when we read the films knowing we were playing a option team its clear you DESTROY the qb andmake him pitch early to give you time for corner to get to LOS.Many times we put DE two yds outside the offensive end or tack in a three points stance and told him to go right over the right cheek of the OL in front of him.When its done right the qb takes one step and BAM ....after a sereies of this the pitches usually were not very crisp and the offense suffered.Now JT can make you miss but not so sure he can do it all the time.....I hope he can cause we need him.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Why is it a forgone conclusion that JT won't be able to hold up for the season? He's no big bruiser, but there's plenty of examples of smallish QBs who play without missing a game as well as examples of big 'uns that go down. The legendary Nesbitt missed several games and in fact sustained a (college) career ending injury.

By the same token it seems to be conventional wisdom that QBs in Paul's system are more susceptible to injury, but the stats don't bear that out.

It has been a talking point since Vad left and Justin was presumed the starter. It's been brought up every single time JT has been mentioned this offseason and is based on nothing tangible. It's not going to go away.

The kid could play in 30 straight games, get hurt in the 31st, and people are going to stand up and scream "I TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN."