Wofford Game Thoughts and Little Perspective

Mack

Helluva Engineer
You cannot go to sleep on any team. There are Division II teams that would probably give some Div. 1 teams a scare. I still say the biggest factor is the depth. Scholly players on the better FCS would be starters on some of the lower level FBS teams.......If you had a choice between starting for Wofford and winning 8-10 games a year or starting for Tulane and wining 2-3 games a year, who would you pick. Winning is far more fun.
I will say this...I live in Wadley which is fifty or so miles from Statesboro and have a house there for school and many guys I commanded in the Air Wing are Eagle fans and if we think that they are not ready to WIN not play a good game but WIN then we have problems.They have been wanting this game for a while and they will give maximum effort.Better tighten up the chin strip EAGLES will be coming hard.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@alaguy blocking on permitter was awful, JT has no real speed in the run game, Snoddy's run was not very impressive, the OL had very poor pass protection. (this is sarcasm, for the sarcasm impaired)

Now I did think we have areas to improve like LB play, JT's 3/4th and short, and punt receptions. The hardest thing for me to overcome is the emotional expectation of ripping a team apart and having them in the game until 4th Q.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
@alaguy blocking on permitter was awful, JT has no real speed in the run game, Snoddy's run was not very impressive, the OL had very poor pass protection. (this is sarcasm, for the sarcasm impaired)

Now I did think we have areas to improve like LB play, JT's 3/4th and short, and punt receptions. The hardest thing for me to overcome is the emotional expectation of ripping a team apart and having them in the game until 4th Q.

IMO we need two returners for punts. It is too easy to kick away from one returner (Golden) and too many punts hit the ground, or too many risky catches because of last minute arrivals under the punts. We have talent for two returners and it is not like we often need 10 guys trying to block punts.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I
IMO we need two returners for punts. It is too easy to kick away from one returner (Golden) and too many punts hit the ground, or too many risky catches because of last minute arrivals under the punts. We have talent for two returners and it is not like we often need 10 guys trying to block punts.

Now that most teams set up a three man wall in front of a punter, that's actually not a bad idea since the numbers advantage tilt to the return team.

Use to be that the punter had a guy in front of him to take on the first defender down the field...a shield if you will. Now it's flipped to the punter.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I

Now that most teams set up a three man wall in front of a punter, that's actually not a bad idea since the numbers advantage tilt to the return team.

Use to be that the punter had a guy in front of him to take on the first defender down the field...a shield if you will. Now it's flipped to the punter.

With two returners your chances of handling a punt goes up, and if you do not handle it you cannot return it. It would be interesting to know how many (%) additional punts would be handled with a second returner and/or how many more would be returned (because of the blocker) vs fair caught.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'll post this here rather than starting another tread or looking for a better thread.

Hitting the open receivers!!!
One of the benefits of our scheme is that we can often get open receivers when D's commit extra folk to stopping the run. Two things impressed me with Justin: (1) he ended up completing over 70% of his passes and (2) he realized that he needed to make better throws on several 1st half incompletions.

Whether or not our OL maintains sufficient protection for keeping the completion percentage up, I appreciate his ability to see when he hasn't done what he needs too without being satisfied

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
In all the pros and cons, thoughts and analysis from the outcome of the game, if JT and the OL can consistently repeat the success they had on Saturday ...
Way too early to make comparisons, but it would be nice to have another Joe Hamilton on our hands.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Yeah when you play a team like this you stomp them early to keep the insurrection down. WE didnt do this Saturday and all most lost it.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Mack I understand the emotions during the game... I sure had some emotion. There was some good things and there was some things we need to improve.

I'll admit, I still don't know where we are at this point.

Animal02

Banned
Yeah when you play a team like this you stomp them early to keep the insurrection down. WE didnt do this Saturday and all most lost it.
We did not "almost lose" Yes they popped a huge play late in the 2nd to take the lead for a few seconds, we came right back and scored, and never looked back. Wofford was better than many expected.......likely because of the blowout against Elon last year.....but I suspect Wofford would blow out Elon as well.

Now Tulane, since the will have comparable depth (i.e. schollys) we need to put some points up and never let them in the game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We did not "almost lose" Yes they popped a huge play late in the 2nd to take the lead for a few seconds, we came right back and scored, and never looked back. Wofford was better than many expected.......likely because of the blowout against Elon last year.....but I suspect Wofford would blow out Elon as well.

Now Tulane, since the will have comparable depth (i.e. schollys) we need to put some points up and never let them in the game.

Wof beat Elon by 4 at home last year, fwiw.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
@Mack I understand the emotions during the game... I sure had some emotion. There was some good things and there was some things we need to improve.

Me either..........probably wont get a decent read until VT.one thing I am looking for is better rush defense though.........thanks for the cap its hot down he=

Me either need to improve quickly on the run defense and this kid can chuck i

Me either...........got to handle run better though on defense.......later dude.

Animal02

Banned
Me either..........probably wont get a decent read until VT.one thing I am looking for is better rush defense though.........thanks for the cap its hot down he=

I think if we see steady improvement over the next two games, we will know where we stand......if we see more of the same......it could be a longer year than anticipated.
We should have a better feel for VT after this weekend as well.

Wofford had one tackle for loss all day. We tackled them 6 times for loss.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Now Tulane, since the will have comparable depth (i.e. schollys) we need to put some points up and never let them in the game.[ /QUOTE] NIne minutes left and it was anybodys game.Will agree they came to play.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
We seem to speculate on how good or how bad the team will be way past what is reasonable from what we do know so far. The Wofford game increased my hope in some areas and concern in others. I am optimistic because the team is young and has a young quarterback that started his first game against Wofford so I think there can and will be pretty drastic improvement going forward. Of course time will tell but I don't think we will really won't know what we have till after VT and even then injuries or lack thereof to us or other teams can throw those predictions off.

JT aggressively runs this offence and that makes me pretty optimistic for the future. Other than run over linebackers, he has the skills to do everything the offense might need and should only get better. He doesn't look for a safe place to go down and I doubt he will be caught from behind running the option. If he makes mistakes it will be at full speed which is IMHO the only way to play the game. The O-line should also progress through the year. On the other hand I hope my defensive concerns diminish over the next couple games.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
JT has all of the physical skills needed to take our O to the next level IMO. His passing vs wofford showed me that the quick release info was legit. Plenty of arm strength / zip on the ball. Very good accuracy outside of first 3 overthrows. The accuracy will be better some games than others, is for all QBs. The rest remains relatively static. Only question I have about him at this point is decision making. That will be tested more vs the better teams. We shall see but I'm very big on JTs ability.