Wofford Game Thoughts and Little Perspective

thwgjacket

@thwgjacket I do not know if Wofford is better than Tulsa, big word in "might" be... one of the stats guys would have to look at strength of schedule and all that... I do know Wofford is much better than Elon and Presbyterian.
Yes they are much better than Elon and Presbyterian. I don't think that they are better than Tulsa but I would give you that they are probably better coached and more disciplined. Wofford has come a long way since the late 90's when they were Southern's whipping boy but they're not what I would consider an FCS power house. What they are is a team that doesn't make mistakes and knows how to hang on to the ball and keep a game close. They are a team that will use ball control and clock management to keep a game close so they have a shot late or at the very least the score is not indicative of how truly better the team they were facing was. Examples of this have been Clemson, South Carolina and now Tech.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I remember thinking after their wofford game in 2011 that Clemson was gonna suck and we'd beat em for sure. Was half right as they went on to lose to us but win the conference.

Animal02

Banned
In 1998 First game I watched GT lose 41 to 31 to a Boston College team that went 4 - 7. We then tied for 1st in ACC and beat Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl and finished 10th in the nation. You never know after the first game.

In 1981 I watch unranked Tech beat #2 Alabama in Birmingham (24-21) the first game of the year (2nd game for Bama) Tech went on to lose the next 10 (being outscored 100-288 the rest of the season), Bama won the SEC with one tie and a loss in the Cotton Bowl to finish 9-2-1.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I had no illusions about Wofford. Back in the '80s, I used to go down there - I was at USCe - specifically to watch the "Wofford Y". They ran the wishbone and did it to perfection. It was a joy to watch for someone who's as big a fan of option football as I am. Those outfits were avoided like the plague by all major college teams and for good reason.

They weren't that good last year, but they have a tradition of winning up there and they believe. Often that's all it takes to give anyone trouble.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not only that but JT completed 73% of his passes for 282 yards with 2tds and no ints!! When's the last time we had a passing line like that to go along with over 200 yards on the ground? 9 possessions 0 turnovers 1 missed fg and only 2 punts.... It wasn't a perfect game by no means but it's not as bad as people are making out.

2011 versus MTSU
Tevin was 5/8 202 yards and 2 TDs 0 INTs
Rushing: 382 yards
(Won 49-21)

Also 2011 versus W. Carolina
Tevin was 8/13 271 yards and 3 TDs 0 INTs
Rushing: 297 yards
(Won 63-21)

Tevin was on FIRE the first 6 games that year and lead the Nation in passing efficiency through those 6 games I believe.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
2011 versus MTSU
Tevin was 5/8 202 yards and 2 TDs 0 INTs
Rushing: 382 yards
(Won 49-21)

Also 2011 versus W. Carolina
Tevin was 8/13 271 yards and 3 TDs 0 INTs
Rushing: 297 yards
(Won 63-21)

Tevin was on FIRE the first 6 games that year and lead the Nation in passing efficiency through those 6 games I believe.
I was thinking about 2011, too. What the hell happened on the back end of that year?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Tevin got stuck inside his head before UVA game 2011, imo. Iirc, he tweeted about lofty personal ambition/recognition.

The haters are always blaming Johnson for scheduling FCS schools, but I read in a MYAJC article written since Saturday, that DRad scheduled Wofford in August, 2006, nearly 2 years before Johnson even arrived. In fact, I would think it safe to assume that, other than Alabama A&M last year, every FCS school we have played since Johnson arrived was scheduled either by Braine or DRad.

Animal02

Banned
The haters are always blaming Johnson for scheduling FCS schools, but I read in a MYAJC article written since Saturday, that DRad scheduled Wofford in August, 2006, nearly 2 years before Johnson even arrived. In fact, I would think it safe to assume that, other than Alabama A&M last year, every FCS school we have played since Johnson arrived was scheduled either by Braine or DRad.

As long as the playoff selection recognizes wins over FCS teams, scheduling them will not stop. The path to the playoffs will be going undefeated / winning the conference championship......especially outside of the SEC. Rarely will there be more than 3 undefeated teams after the conference championships....so why risk injury and a loss unnecessarily?

As long as the playoff selection recognizes wins over FCS teams, scheduling them will not stop. The path to the playoffs will be going undefeated / winning the conference championship......especially outside of the SEC. Rarely will there be more than 3 undefeated teams after the conference championships....so why risk injury and a loss unnecessarily?
Yeah, afraid you are right, but I still hate those games. I wish the ACC had gone to a 9-game schedule, and let ND take the place of one of the "regular" conference opponents each time they rotate onto a schedule.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Don't know which thread to put this in, but here's a fun fact. Even without the pass to Snoddy, JT would've led the nation in passer rating at 248.77. However, he would not've had the requisite 15 attempts for his stat to be included in the official stats.
I was wondering how that would have changed his rating. Thanks for posting that. A lot has been said here about that play being a risky pitch, but I don't see it being risky unless there's a danger of a pick or if JT crosses the LOS. If Snoddy drops it, incomplete pass.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Tulane
  • 2011 2 and 11
  • 2012 2 and 10
  • 2013 7 and 6
I would not sleep on any team playing the first time in a new stadium in front of a sold out crowd!!! But, I would say Wofford might very well be a better team overall than Tulsa.

GSU
  • 2011 11 and 3 and stayed in the Alabama game for a while
  • 2012 9 and 5 and stayed in the first half against UGA
  • 2013 7 and 4 and beat UF
  • 2014 played NCSU and was winning till the end of the 4th Q
Don't need to sleep on GSU either!!! I think GSU will be even more fired up to play GT than NCSU.

I assume that Tulsa is a typo....since you were talking about Tulane. And I would agree, Wofford very well may be a better overall team than Tulane.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering how that would have changed his rating. Thanks for posting that. A lot has been said here about that play being a risky pitch, but I don't see it being risky unless there's a danger of a pick or if JT crosses the LOS. If Snoddy drops it, incomplete pass.

After I posted they added an incomplete pass somewhere. Still #1 with Snoddy, maybe not without.

Animal02

Banned
Yeah, afraid you are right, but I still hate those games. I wish the ACC had gone to a 9-game schedule, and let ND take the place of one of the "regular" conference opponents each time they rotate onto a schedule.

I think a win against a FCS should not count toward the playoff, only for bowl eligibility.......let the lower 50% play the FCS to beef up their win totals.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
80% of Tech predictors guessed we would win by 30 pts MINIMUM.I wonder what is going to be said if we are 3-0 after first 3 games but we've won last 2 by 5 pts total ?

To me BY FAR ,the best positive out of this game was the passing success of JT--to Smelter . Then no real injuries.The rest was" hmmmmmmm" at best.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Did many of you really look at Wofford's history before the game. I admit I did not.
  • 2010 10 and 3
  • 2011 8 and 4
  • 2012 9 and 4
They had a down year in 2o13. They compete and are known to give FBS team issues. Yes, they have some new players, but I guess no one told them they cannot compete against a FBS team.

The first Wofford drive showed a solid GT defense that knew their job. The second Wofford drive was mainly 2 QB draw plays that yielded almost 40 yards combined. The other plays where stop pretty well. The defense has got to shore up the QB draw. The Wofford 5 minute drive stopped for a FG, the 1 minute GT offensive TD, and a 9 minutes Wofford drive really put pressure on a tired GT Defense in the 3rd and 4th Q.

There is a lot of emotion because of preconceived opinions about Wofford being a low talent unworthy opponent. If we beat GSU in the same way, how would you feel. Wofford is on the same level as GSU. This was no Elon or Presbyterian team. This was a 2012 MTSU type game where we won with a new QB and several freshman on defense!!!

Highlights
  • Smelter Rocked
  • JT showed he can pass well
  • JT showed he can run well
  • JT ran the counter option very well
  • No false starts
  • Snoddy had 2 great plays (way to show everyone young man)
  • Zenon had a hellava game!
  • No completed deep passes on GT Defense
  • The defensive freshman got experience and we got a win!
No the BB did not break out and Wofford was defending the middle well.
Yes 9 in the box gives the middle issues, but opens up the pass.

Some answered questions, some still to be answered questions, and don't forget we will still have a chance to improve.
You are spot on......when GSU played the terriers it was all ways a good game to watch..They are well coached and no doubt ready to play.This is no Elon or Bama A and T etc it is a good team that probably lost due to lack of depth not for effort.