Wofford Game Thoughts and Little Perspective

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did many of you really look at Wofford's history before the game. I admit I did not.
  • 2010 10 and 3
  • 2011 8 and 4
  • 2012 9 and 4
They had a down year in 2o13. They compete and are known to give FBS team issues. Yes, they have some new players, but I guess no one told them they cannot compete against a FBS team.

The first Wofford drive showed a solid GT defense that knew their job. The second Wofford drive was mainly 2 QB draw plays that yielded almost 40 yards combined. The other plays where stop pretty well. The defense has got to shore up the QB draw. The Wofford 5 minute drive stopped for a FG, the 1 minute GT offensive TD, and a 9 minutes Wofford drive really put pressure on a tired GT Defense in the 3rd and 4th Q.

There is a lot of emotion because of preconceived opinions about Wofford being a low talent unworthy opponent. If we beat GSU in the same way, how would you feel. Wofford is on the same level as GSU. This was no Elon or Presbyterian team. This was a 2012 MTSU type game where we won with a new QB and several freshman on defense!!!

Highlights
  • Smelter Rocked
  • JT showed he can pass well
  • JT showed he can run well
  • JT ran the counter option very well
  • No false starts
  • Snoddy had 2 great plays (way to show everyone young man)
  • Zenon had a hellava game!
  • No completed deep passes on GT Defense
  • The defensive freshman got experience and we got a win!
No the BB did not break out and Wofford was defending the middle well.
Yes 9 in the box gives the middle issues, but opens up the pass.

Some answered questions, some still to be answered questions, and don't forget we will still have a chance to improve.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Did many of you really look at Wofford's history before the game. I admit I did not.
  • 2010 10 and 3
  • 2011 8 and 4
  • 2012 9 and 4
They had a down year in 2o13. They compete and are known to give FBS team issues. Yes, they have some new players, but I guess no one told them they cannot compete against a FBS team.

The first Wofford drive showed a solid GT defense that knew their job. The second Wofford drive was mainly 2 QB draw plays that yielded almost 40 yards combined. The other plays where stop pretty well. The defense has got to shore up the QB draw. The Wofford 5 minute drive stopped for a FG, the 1 minute GT offensive TD, and a 9 minutes Wofford drive really put pressure on a tired GT Defense in the 3rd and 4th Q.

There is a lot of emotion because of preconceived opinions about Wofford being a low talent unworthy opponent. If we beat GSU in the same way, how would you feel. Wofford is on the same level as GSU. This was no Elon or Presbyterian team. This was a 2012 MTSU type game where we won with a new QB and several freshman on defense!!!

Highlights
  • Smelter Rocked
  • No false starts

Some answered questions, some still to be answered questions, and don't forget we will still have a chance to improve.
Always enjoy reading your posts. You have really good insight and make good points.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
BB's run for 90+ yards and 3 TD's against a team putting 10 in the box. I'll take that every week.
Not only that but JT completed 73% of his passes for 282 yards with 2tds and no ints!! When's the last time we had a passing line like that to go along with over 200 yards on the ground? 9 possessions 0 turnovers 1 missed fg and only 2 punts.... It wasn't a perfect game by no means but it's not as bad as people are making out.

Animal02

Banned
Not only that but JT completed 73% of his passes for 282 yards with 2tds and no ints!! When's the last time we had a passing line like that to go along with over 200 yards on the ground? 9 possessions 0 turnovers 1 missed fg and only 2 punts.... It wasn't a perfect game by no means but it's not as bad as people are making out.
I think the offense looked solid, yes a few missed reads, etc......but the 2nd half was very consistent. Defense needs some work, but we have two more "tune-up" games of increasing difficulty before the conference schedule starts. I don't think we tipped are hand to much either WRT plays......but the short passing to the side lines will make defenses think twice about stacking the box. Meanwhile on another site (that many of us here used to be active on.....the remaining doom and gloomers are predicting a 3 win season :rolleyes: )

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the offense looked solid, yes a few missed reads, etc......but the 2nd half was very consistent. Defense needs some work, but we have two more "tune-up" games of increasing difficulty before the conference schedule starts. I don't think we tipped are hand to much either WRT plays......but the short passing to the side lines will make defenses think twice about stacking the box. Meanwhile on another site (that many of us here used to be active on.....the remaining doom and gloomers are predicting a 3 win season :rolleyes: )
Lol! I was on that site as well, I'm not so sure that wofford isn't better than Tulane or Southern. They were a solid team that was ready to play. I'm actually very encouraged about where this team is headed, love our big play capability.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tulane
  • 2011 2 and 11
  • 2012 2 and 10
  • 2013 7 and 6
I would not sleep on any team playing the first time in a new stadium in front of a sold out crowd!!! But, I would say Wofford might very well be a better team overall than Tulsa.

GSU
  • 2011 11 and 3 and stayed in the Alabama game for a while
  • 2012 9 and 5 and stayed in the first half against UGA
  • 2013 7 and 4 and beat UF
  • 2014 played NCSU and was winning till the end of the 4th Q
Don't need to sleep on GSU either!!! I think GSU will be even more fired up to play GT than NCSU.

Animal02

Banned
You cannot go to sleep on any team. There are Division II teams that would probably give some Div. 1 teams a scare. I still say the biggest factor is the depth. Scholly players on the better FCS would be starters on some of the lower level FBS teams.......If you had a choice between starting for Wofford and winning 8-10 games a year or starting for Tulane and wining 2-3 games a year, who would you pick. Winning is far more fun.

thwgjacket

Tulane
  • 2011 2 and 11
  • 2012 2 and 10
  • 2013 7 and 6
I would not sleep on any team playing the first time in a new stadium in front of a sold out crowd!!! But, I would say Wofford might very well be a better team overall than Tulsa.

GSU
  • 2011 11 and 3 and stayed in the Alabama game for a while
  • 2012 9 and 5 and stayed in the first half against UGA
  • 2013 7 and 4 and beat UF
  • 2014 played NCSU and was winning till the end of the 4th Q
Don't need to sleep on GSU either!!! I think GSU will be even more fired up to play GT than NCSU.
Ok I'm with you on a lot of your points but let's throttle down when saying Wofford might be better overall than Tulsa. You're right, Wofford and many FCS teams are good enough to hang with the big boys on certain days. But Tulsa is a better team than Wofford.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
  • 2010 10 and 3
  • 2011 8 and 4
  • 2012 9 and 4

Highlights
  • Smelter Rocked
  • No false starts

One of the best synopsis of the game I've seen!

I asked this before but has Tech ever has a QB come out on his first start and put up the numbers JT did?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Don't know which thread to put this in, but here's a fun fact. Even without the pass to Snoddy, JT would've led the nation in passer rating at 248.77. However, he would not've had the requisite 15 attempts for his stat to be included in the official stats.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@thwgjacket I do not know if Wofford is better than Tulsa, big word in "might" be... one of the stats guys would have to look at strength of schedule and all that... I do know Wofford is much better than Elon and Presbyterian.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

I did. Saw them play The Citadel in 2012. Ayers is a quality coach. They run option and are used to defending it. I expected a fast moving clock from two rushing teams. In short, I expected the game we saw. I thought the score would be 34-38 to 10-14. The difference turned out to be the 92 yard run. The 50 plus score predictions were preposterous.

I still expect a 7-5 GT record, with 6-6 a possibility.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
In 1998 First game I watched GT lose 41 to 31 to a Boston College team that went 4 - 7. We then tied for 1st in ACC and beat Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl and finished 10th in the nation. You never know after the first game.

And all those passes were from under center. So much for not being able to pass without the shotgun or diamond.

Declinometer

Banned
  • 2010 10 and 3
  • 2011 8 and 4
  • 2012 9 and 4

Highlights
  • Smelter Rocked
  • No false starts

I stated before the game that Wofford played good football. They are always a tough out.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... let's get through September and see how things look. No sense in panicking now for not "blowing out a FCS team. (Granted, I don't think most folks on gtswarm are doing that.)