Stats Wk 10 Rankings AP and Diff PPD vsP5

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, here's a comparison of the rankings from AP and Differential Points/Drive vs Pwr 5 opposition. Teams like Temple and Memphis who haven't played more than 2 Pwr 5 opponents are excluded by method.

Again, I think that this comparison gives prima facie support for the validity of the DiffPPD v P5 approach to determining team strength and, by extension, the strength of the individual offensive and defensive units.

upload_2015-11-2_13-40-30.png

In the ACC, I encourage watching both CU and UNC in the up-coming weeks. Based on past performance, I predict them each winning-out. A 12-0 CU versus an 11-1 UNC seems to me to be a likely ACCCG.

As far as GT is concerned, we are currently #53 by this measure, #39 offense and #60 defense. Much has been said in other threads about the relative merits of the two sides of the ball, but I think the data clearly answers this question.

By past results, our defense is about where they've been in the past while our offense is much worse. So, saying that defense has given the offense plenty of opportunities to score is true--given the expectations built-up by past offensive performance. However, they've really only played shut-down D vs FSU.