1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Willie Fritz and the spread option

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by charles, Oct 9, 2019.

1. charles

charles Ramblin' Wreck

I am curious how would Willie Fritz fared with CPJ's players. Tulane is 4 and 1 so far this season and has won every place he has been

DaDodd, TechPreacher and UpperNorth like this.
  2. travgt01

travgt01 Helluva Engineer

He's a good coach. Can he cruit at a high level? Dunno. Would he leave us high and dry for a big 6 SEC program? Yes

7979 and TooTall like this.
  3. Jacket4Life9

Jacket4Life9 Helluva Engineer

I have followed his career since his days at Southern. Always thought he’d be a logical choice for us once CPJ left.

DaDodd, COJacket, Ash and 1 other person like this.
  4. Madison Grant

Madison Grant Helluva Engineer

9-15 his 1st two years at Tulane. Would our fans be patient?

brian22, rfripp68, Em_Jae20 and 8 others like this.
  5. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Helluva Engineer

Hard to say. I don't think anyone would have had an easy time this year. It also took him til year 3 to get anything going at Tulane and is only winning big in year 4, though I don't know what they had when he got there. Hypotheticals are harmless, but not particularly useful and I like the hire we made. Talent upgrade was the impetus behind TStan's plan and we will see how it works.

rfripp68, UgaBlows and UpperNorth like this.
  6. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

9-15? we’d be cheering with the juice crew.

7. Cam

Cam Helluva Engineer

I don't think we'd have the OL for his system either. Here's the size of his starting OL this year:
    Joey Claybrook - 6'6" 290 lbs
    Corey Dublin - 6'4" 300 lbs
    Christian Montano - 6'4" 300 lbs
    Keyshawn McLeod - 6'4" 305
    Ben Knutson - 6'9" 325 lbs

We don't have the length or size that it appears Fritz wants in his OL. Montano and Knutson are also both transfers, so Fritz also had to look around to fill some holes. We also would have the same personnel problems when it came to having no TEs and few true slot receivers. It's worth noting that the starting slot receiver and QB (considered "pro-style") for Tulane right now are also grad transfers from Oklahoma State and LSU, respectively. I think it's clear that CPJ's system is closer to Fritz's than Coach Pat's system, but I think Fritz would have had to work the transfer market a lot here like he did at Tulane to get the right pieces in place.

He's also pretty old at 59 years old and he's never been in charge of a P5 program before. The only head coaches that are older are either proven coaches that have been at their destinations awhile (Saban, Ferentz, Dantonio, Cutcliffe, Wittingham) or they're guys that programs rolled the dice on in order to spark some magic (Herm Edwards, Mack Brown, Les Miles, Lovie Smith). It's tough to say how he would have adapted, especially since Tulane took awhile to get running too. It just seems like a major red flag that despite his success he's not getting any chances to move up, and I think that ship has sailed for him.

rfripp68 and UpperNorth like this.
  8. Jacketman

Jacketman Ramblin' Wreck

I've watched every Tulane game this year, and Fritz doesn't run an offense like CPJ. He has the occasional option plays from under center, but those are only in short yardage/running out the clock scenarios. His offense has some option from the gun, but I would compare the base offense more like what Gus Malzahn ran at Auburn with Nick Marshall. Tulane throws the ball fairly often and has primarily shotgun running schemes that make Fritz's offense different from CPJ.

Also wanted to add that the Green Wave fan base was beginning to grow tired of Fritz until he barely made a bowl game last year. His offense was really awful until he changed QBs to one that could throw the ball a bit better(Justin McMillan), and it improved. Then, after last season, he hired Will Hall from Memphis to be his OC, and it has worked wonders this season.

rfripp68, slugboy, TheFlyest and 2 others like this.
  9. Madison Grant

Madison Grant Helluva Engineer

That's what I was thinking with the 9-15 comment. Talk about 'having the guts to fire a coach' 5 games into a season is SEC fan territory. Next you'll tell me we can hire Kendall Briles away from FSU in midseason and score 40 points a game with on OL that couldn't stop Citadel's pass rush.

91Wreck, UgaBlows and Jacketman like this.
  10. UgaBlows

UgaBlows Helluva Engineer

I wonder how Vince Lombardi would have made out with CPJ’s players? Also John Heisman, do y'all think he could have gotten it done?

11. vamosjackets

vamosjackets GT Athlete Featured Member

Willie Fritz record at GSU and beyond:
    9-3 2014
    8-4 2015
    Tulane:
    4-8 2016
    5-7 2017
    7-6 2018

Jeff Monken's record at GSU and beyond:
    10-5 (semi-finals) 2010
    11-3 (semi-finals) 2011
    10-4 (semi-finals) 2012
    7-4 2013
    Army:
    4-8 2014
    2-10 2015
    8-5 2016
    10-3 2017
    11-2 2018

If want a former GSU coach, why choose Willie Fritz?

gtpi, Mcnfan, TooTall and 6 others like this.
  12. TheFlyest

TheFlyest Helluva Engineer

It took awhile for Fritz to get going so meh, and I like Fritz I thought he’d be good for GT after CPJ.

I’m good with who GT has right now.

13. GTRambler

GTRambler Helluva Engineer

I’m not sure I’m good with who we have at GT right now, but I’m willing to give him 5 years to see what kind of a trend line he can put on the graph.

14. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

Can we let the dude get through 1 year before not-so-subtely plotting out replacements?

15. SteamWhistle

SteamWhistle Helluva Engineer

Nope

TheFlyest likes this.
  16. motynes

motynes Helluva Engineer

Fritz has been all right. Will Hall has been great as an OC. He will get a big step up after this year. He will eventually be a good HC somewhere. I’m a huge Will Hall fan. I think OM will go after him if Rich Rodriguez gets another shot as a HC.

Jacketman likes this.
  17. GTRanj2

GTRanj2 Helluva Engineer

I'm in the monken or bohannon boat for when the juice crew leaves (for whatever reason they leave).

18. armeck

armeck Jolly Good Fellow

Probably amazingly, since the team would be monsters compared to the teams they fielded way back then. :)

19. White_Gold

White_Gold GT Athlete

Amen

20. White_Gold

White_Gold GT Athlete

No, thank you.