Will the WR's be better in 2014?

How will the WR's perform compared to 2013?

• Better

Votes: 65 81.3%
  • Same

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Worse

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have a slightly different take on Vad. It may be splitting hairs, but I'll put it out there. I think his 46% completion rate and the increased interceptions had many contributing factors. He has a very strong arm, and can throw a beautiful ball, both with touch and zip. From this non-expert's view point, what I saw was a QB who locked onto his primary receiver and often times never went through a progression. He also, at times, tried to force the ball into bad situations, which is a sign of a young QB. I also saw a guy running for his life. I think our O-Line did more to stimey our passing game than Vad did. These two conditions (as well as others) prevented Vad from being successful. I think they fed into each other.

All this being said, a more experienced QB and better line play will help the receivers look better; an inexperienced QB and ineffective line play will make the receivers look bad. It remains to be seen what type of passing QB JT or TB will be, but I'm cautiously optimistic the line play will be better, at least in pass protection. JT tried to force several throws when given time last year, so we'll see how he's grown. I have no feel for Byerly other than the Spring Game, where he looked poised.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have a slightly different take on Vad. It may be splitting hairs, but I'll put it out there. I think his 46% completion rate and the increased interceptions had many contributing factors. He has a very strong arm, and can throw a beautiful ball, both with touch and zip. From this non-expert's view point, what I saw was a QB who locked onto his primary receiver and often times never went through a progression. He also, at times, tried to force the ball into bad situations, which is a sign of a young QB. I also saw a guy running for his life. I think our O-Line did more to stimey our passing game than Vad did. These two conditions (as well as others) prevented Vad from being successful. I think they fed into each other.

All this being said, a more experienced QB and better line play will help the receivers look better; an inexperienced QB and ineffective line play will make the receivers look bad. It remains to be seen what type of passing QB JT or TB will be, but I'm cautiously optimistic the line play will be better, at least in pass protection. JT tried to force several throws when given time last year, so we'll see how he's grown. I have no feel for Byerly other than the Spring Game, where he looked poised.
I think you are pretty much spot on. When Vad locked on to the correct receiver AND he stepped into his throws he was a very good passer. However, he did this on a very inconsistent basis. Seeing the field was a huge weakness.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Whether or not the WR's improve is entirely up to the GCG and the B Back. If we improve up the middle so that the opposing linebackers and safeties have to stay home, then our WR's will look good. If our WR's improve their blocking, then that also makes the B Back more effective, which will in turn improve the passing game. The more I watch this offense, the better I appreciate its complexities and inter-dependencies. That is why it is taking so long for the QB's to look like they've 'got it'. 'It' has about a dozen moving parts. If ten of them work together, then it's damn near unstoppable even with lesser ability athletes running it. I think the last few years, we've had 6-8 parts working together. I think it is more dependent on team chemistry than any other football offense. 'It' comes close to basketball in that sense. That has magnified the harm of the OL injuries and the turnover at WR the last two or three years. The Senior class that just left was never able to get that chemistry even though they played a lot of football together. In their defense, they never had much help from the Defense and Special Teams. We will be senior heavy at the skill positions this year. Maybe they can start some chemistry.

"It" also means that when those parts come together, there is a higher probability of catching lightning in a bottle, and that is what's required for that special season that get's us #5. We were talented in '90, but they also had chemistry beginning in the middle of '89. It was like a switch was flipped. They expected miracles, and they got them. We get ten moving parts of the offense, an improving defense, and Buttkicking on the Special Teams, and the miracle drought we've been in will end. Are things lining up? It's for damn sure that next year's schedule presents us with the opportunity (or need) to strow some miracles.