Will the super onside kick return for this year?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
If I remember right, we recovered 3 onside kicks last year out of 3(?) attempted. We had Jude Kelley kick an angled bouncer at a sharp angle to the sideline with someone sprinting to grab the ball just as it went out of bounds (at least once, it was Carter). Do you think we will see this style of targeted onside kick again this year?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We shoudl only onside kick.

Screw it we can't lose worse.

(for those of you that took that serious... yes we can in fact lose worse)

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see us make use of the pooch kick on occasion against opponents where we're outmatched like we did against UGA in 2014. Imagine kicking off the season against Clemson with a little pooch kick that takes the return team by surprise, takes a hectic bounce when they fail to catch it in mid-air, and we recover it already within field goal range. It'd be a real punch in the mouth.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
USF, 2018. 49-38 loss in a game where GT had 600 yards of offense, 419 on the ground. 8 penalties for 80 yards, 3 turnovers, and 2 TDs allowed on kick returns.

But hey, that was a well coached team :X3:

Oh i forgot about that one. IIRC we change dup our entire Kickoff Coverage team after that game. And im pretty sure there was an internal demotion for who was handling it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Was it USF that ran back two kickoffs for TD's against us before Collins. Those were back breakers in a game we could have won.
ugh. i drove from Pensacola to see the game with a buddy.

Gt scored and had true freshmen on the kick off team. They had an Olympic sprinter. It was not even close on the second return.

Best thing in that game was the fight by our offense and a brief rain cloud.

I heard no one spoke a word on the team plane back to atl.