Will the QB position be better this year?

Will the QB position be better this year?

• Better

Votes: 71 67.6%
  • Same

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Worse

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Fumbles are one thing for JT and it is a legitimate concern, however I think a general mindset to force every play was his biggest downfall. He just simply took too many chances forcing pitches and passes into risky situations. Good QBs know when a play is over or isn't there at all. He just needs to learn that. I am optimistic he will.
JT drove me a bit nuts last year. A world of potential IMO but reckless with the ball. Risky pitches often worked but a scary habit to fall into. More importantly he too often carried the ball like mike vick...that makes me insane. Both are easily correctable.

The loaf of brad carry and in the grasp pitches are great when nothing bad happens... unfortunately the odds of fumbling go up dramatically with those traits. I'm sure that the coaching staff is reminding JT that ball security is imperative.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Last season, we only lost 11 fumbles - tied for lowest over last 6 seasons (by comparison, we lost 20 fumbles in both 2008 and 2010).

However, between 2008 and 2012, we averaged 7 interceptions (never more than 8, never less than 6).

But check this out: last year, we only attempted 203 passes (only the service academies and New Mexico attempted fewer) but threw a whopping 13 interceptions - that's more INTs than 66 other teams. I don't like the stat of total INTs per team since the number of attempts ranges from 150 to 750 so I calculate my own stat: the average number of attempts per interception - the inverse of interception ratio - basically, how many passes are you going to throw before you throw a pick.

For all of the BCS, 80% of the teams are between 24 and 57.

The absolute worst team in the BCS threw a pick every 16 attempts: Georgia Tech.

This may *ahem* explain the disconnect between VL and CPJ about our run/pass ratio.

Just want to give a slight comparison;
Cmp Att Pct Yards Y/A TD INT Rate
108 188 57.4 1342 7.1 7 13 115.9
82 180 45.6 1562 8.67 11 10 127.5

one went 5-6 the other 7-6
Who had the better season? Who has the most potential?
I don't think we can easily draw conclusions based just on the manipulation of numbers.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just want to give a slight comparison;
Cmp Att Pct Yards Y/A TD INT Rate
108 188 57.4 1342 7.1 7 13 115.9
82 180 45.6 1562 8.67 11 10 127.5

one went 5-6 the other 7-6
Who had the better season? Who has the most potential?
I don't think we can easily draw conclusions based just on the manipulation of numbers.
How in the hell do you compare a team stat (wins/losses) with individual stats (qb specific) and try to draw a logical conclusion?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
His point was that you can't draw a conclusion by comparing numbers and I, for one, think he did a fine job of proving exactly that. :D
Anyone who's taken a middle school science course (at least one that I've taught, that is) knows you can't draw valid conclusions from data unless you've isolated an independent variable. Now even the qb specific stats are affected by players not the qb. Heck, the schedules are not exact and even if they were, the rosters wouldn't be and then home field advantage has a effect as well. Point being, you can't isolate an independent variable, it's impossible. However, it's much better to use data that involves the fewest variables when making comparisons. Alt1 went from the fewest variables to the most in one hop.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a slightly different question.
Will the QB hype be better this year than the QB hype last year???

I'm curious to hear some answers since at this point, all we have is hope/hype.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The point is that numbers alone don't tell the story. You can manipulate stats to mean whatever you wish them to mean but it doesn't mean its a complete or accurate picture.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Last season, we only lost 11 fumbles - tied for lowest over last 6 seasons (by comparison, we lost 20 fumbles in both 2008 and 2010).

However, between 2008 and 2012, we averaged 7 interceptions (never more than 8, never less than 6).

But check this out: last year, we only attempted 203 passes (only the service academies and New Mexico attempted fewer) but threw a whopping 13 interceptions - that's more INTs than 66 other teams. I don't like the stat of total INTs per team since the number of attempts ranges from 150 to 750 so I calculate my own stat: the average number of attempts per interception - the inverse of interception ratio - basically, how many passes are you going to throw before you throw a pick.

For all of the BCS, 80% of the teams are between 24 and 57.

The absolute worst team in the BCS threw a pick every 16 attempts: Georgia Tech.

This may *ahem* explain the disconnect between VL and CPJ about our run/pass ratio

Vad *only* threw 11 picks last season from 197 attempts (if you include the Ole Miss game). His INT ratio is 1 per 17.91 pass attempts. Not that it's that much better, but in the spirit of accuracy in regards to the "disconnect", that's what it is.

JT threw 2 picks last season from 17 attempts. His ratio is 1 per 8.5 passes.

Byerly had 0 INTs from 4 pass attempts.

I think the 14th INT came from that really bad Deandre Smelter WR pass.