Will the QB position be better this year?

Will the QB position be better this year?

• Better

Votes: 71 67.6%
  • Same

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Worse

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
With almost nothing to go on, I'll guess slightly better.
Thomas and Byerly will be less effective as passers but much better as runners.

Smelter in his second year will make them look like better passers than they otherwise might.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I think they will be better. That does not mean they will be as good as we all want them to be. The biggest reason for improvement I see is that JT and Byerly both seem to buy into the system much more than our guy did last year. Also, as @Ibeeballin mentioned above, our schedule sets up much more favorably this season.

I will be very surprised if either of the two main competitors for the QB position live up to expectations next season, but I think they will be at least slightly better than 2013.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree with @Ibeeballin both that it's not really a simple question and regarding the schedule (I get that the question is simple in the sense of only three choices, but there are a lot of intangibles).

I'm looking primarily at two things with JT: the way he ran the option during the 2nd qtr against UVA and the quickness of his release passing the ball. I'm hoping that improved ability at making option-reads will take some pressure off the OL. It doesn't look, as of now, that we're getting a clear indication of that happening this Spring, but I'm hopeful that the way our season opens will help. Last season's schedule was brutal. @stylee, I hate to say it but I actually agree with @dressedcheeseside about our passing game. I think Justin is going to end up having better numbers in the passing game than Vad.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
The end result will be about the same or slightly worse but I base that not entirely on QB ability but rather on our piss poor offensive line play.

sl1m75

Georgia Tech Fan
The end result will be about the same or slightly worse but I base that not entirely on QB ability but rather on our piss poor offensive line play.

Think our QB play will be better as a whole (running TO, passing, etc). But like Sebastian says if the OL doesn't improve it really doesn't matter who is back there...Joe Hamilton himself would running for his life with the way they blocked last year!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Defenses pinned their ears back and came after us harder last year than they have in any other. The most successful defenses pretty much blitzed every play whether run or pass. I'm not so sure blitzing JT will be a great strategy. If he breaks contain he is gone. He can be a bit of a magician getting away from people. I anticipate more tame defenses for that reason and / or TB making really quick decisive reads which can burn a blitz too. They saw indecisiveness from Vad and poor MESH execution. That plays right into the hands of a blitz.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am very worried about our offensive line. I say the QB will be better because I think Vad did not give 100% deep in the season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Defenses pinned their ears back and came after us harder last year than they have in any other. The most successful defenses pretty much blitzed every play whether run or pass. I'm not so sure blitzing JT will be a great strategy. If he breaks contain he is gone. He can be a bit of a magician getting away from people. I anticipate more tame defenses for that reason and / or TB making really quick decisive reads which can burn a blitz too. They saw indecisiveness from Vad and poor MESH execution. That plays right into the hands of a blitz.

But JT will get nicked up / slowed down by the hits when he is the starter. The desire may be there but the engine room probably won't be able to deliver. (I was on cycling teams, you can only do what your body allows in the final analysis for speed.)

I still think Vad was our best QB starter last year and he got nicked up. Plus the hits he took seem to have messed with his mind. TW also got nicked up and lost speed and power. It's part of the game. So when JT starts and gets the body blows, the speed will suffer IMHO.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We have a first-year starter. Whether TB or JT win the starting position, I think both will play. That will cut down on the game reps for both of them, and retard their development individually (I still think it should be done that way). They've both been in the program for the same amount of time and each have different strengths from each other and from Vad. So, that being said, I think each will struggle at times this year, but the offense will be mostly effective, , most of the time.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

or JT can fumble.