Will one of our QB's step up like JN did?

midga fan

Georgia Tech Fan
Was watching replay of second half of 2008 ugag game . Then watched highlights of vt game 2009. Nesbit was better than i remembered. He wasn't as fast as some but he was fast enough and quick enough and did a very good job of running the option offense and he was tough and committed. It also reminded me what a pleasure it is to watch PJ's offense when it is rolling.
My question, do y'all think JT or Byerly or Jordan will be able to run the offense effectively enough to get close to that kind of production and will they have enough weapons around them to be effective?
I sure would like to see something like that again. I personally have faith in PJ and think it will happen. Not sure which QB will step up, but I'm pretty excited about the prospects.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I definitely think this offense will take a big step forward this year. Will it be like JN running over people...IMO no..on the other hand it will be different with JT running the offense as in faster and more explosive plays I think. Look for Laskey to run for 1,000 this year. He will be our battering ram when we need it. With JT running the TO offense look for defenses to respect our perimeter offense. Good season ahead of us I feel with hopefully no major injuries.

midga fan

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks I agree. We tend to think of JNas just running over people but when I look back I think he did a better job of running the offense than I thought. Many times he read the defense and made the right decision which of course included him running when appropriate. But I think you are right JT has a different skill set which I am excited about as well.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Byerly is more of a Josh type of hard nosed runner. JT is more of a fast seam and cut person. Both have good but different skills. One skill gives you constant positive yards and the other will have some variability with a home run threat on any play. I think MJ is more of a hard runner.

My preference is the tough runner that can take the punishment and dish out the punishment. Someone that could take the ball away from the defender after a fumble.

I believe both/all three will have better completion percentage than Vad and should be more comfortable on the pitch than Vad. I expect to see real 3TO this year.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
MJ should redshirt this year. If he has to play I think we will be in trouble. It's not that he's bad or anything just whenever you have to play freshmen at certain positions, especially at QB, it will probably be a long and frustrating year. let's hope one (TB,JT) steps up and is 'the guy" this year at QB.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Was watching replay of second half of 2008 ugag game . Then watched highlights of vt game 2009. Nesbit was better than i remembered. He wasn't as fast as some but he was fast enough and quick enough and did a very good job of running the option offense and he was tough and committed. It also reminded me what a pleasure it is to watch PJ's offense when it is rolling.
My question, do y'all think JT or Byerly or Jordan will be able to run the offense effectively enough to get close to that kind of production and will they have enough weapons around them to be effective?
I sure would like to see something like that again. I personally have faith in PJ and think it will happen. Not sure which QB will step up, but I'm pretty excited about the prospects.

Good post. I watched some Nesbit 2008, 9 yesterday too and had the same thought. One thing JT shares with JN imo is commitment to the play. I was amazed by how often JN pitched right before getting hit. He really made the defender commit to him before pitching. Big risk big reward

I also watched the 2008 MissSt game and remembered how well Jaybo did as a trFr. Big plays by @Ibeeballin in that game too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I may need to duck after saying this, but if Tevin had a defense during his career here, we would have looked at him in the same vein as Nesbitt. We probably were a 9-10 win team during the 2011 and 2012 seasons but our defense & special teams were putrid. Tevin had some pretty clutch plays for us, unfortunately, he had some pretty bad moments that erased those plays. You give Tevin even last year's defense and the complexion of our program may be different right now.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Good post. I watched some Nesbit 2008, 9 yesterday too and had the same thought. One thing JT shares with JN imo is commitment to the play. I was amazed by how often JN pitched right before getting hit. He really made the defender commit to him before pitching. Big risk big reward

I also watched the 2008 MissSt game and remembered how well Jaybo did as a trFr. Big plays by @Ibeeballin in that game too.

Oh man that 2008 Miss State game. I was hungover as crap. I win tickets at Moes earlier in the week but we came to Athens Friday night before. Drank until like 4 and then I got up at like 9 and drove back to Atlanta. Sat out in the hot sun hungover. OMG. It was awful.

Great win though. Ibeeballin did have a great game that game. So did Michael Johnson. We blocked the two kicks that game? It was fun.

midga fan

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't really disagree about Tevin. I will say he was committed to the offense and was a pretty tough guy which you have to be. He wasn't afraid to run. He did have some bad plays that over shadow things he did, but you make a good point, if he would have even had a decent defense we would have won a lot of the games we lost.
I really think TR is going to have the defense at least to decent or better and if one these QB's do step up we could have a pretty good year. We just can't take anyone lightly even the ones we think should be easy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I may need to duck after saying this, but if Tevin had a defense during his career here, we would have looked at him in the same vein as Nesbitt. We probably were a 9-10 win team during the 2011 and 2012 seasons but our defense & special teams were putrid. Tevin had some pretty clutch plays for us, unfortunately, he had some pretty bad moments that erased those plays. You give Tevin even last year's defense and the complexion of our program may be different right now.
Or forget defense and just give him JD at Bback, RJ and AA at Aback and DT at wr. Imagine that, if you will.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I definitely think this offense will take a big step forward this year. Will it be like JN running over people...IMO no..on the other hand it will be different with JT running the offense as in faster and more explosive plays I think. Look for Laskey to run for 1,000 this year. He will be our battering ram when we need it. With JT running the TO offense look for defenses to respect our perimeter offense. Good season ahead of us I feel with hopefully no major injuries.

How many said the same thing this time last year as we were waiting for Vad to replace TW?

Now we are preparing to run a more simple version vs 2013 ( boring? ), and still have the dismal OL coach.

Lot needs to be proved now.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
How many said the same thing this time last year as we were waiting for Vad to replace TW?

Now we are preparing to run a more simple version vs 2013 ( boring? ), and still have the dismal OL coach.

Lot needs to be proved now.

Who said more simple?

sideways fan

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't really disagree about Tevin. I will say he was committed to the offense and was a pretty tough guy which you have to be. He wasn't afraid to run. He did have some bad plays that over shadow things he did, but you make a good point, if he would have even had a decent defense we would have won a lot of the games we lost.
I really think TR is going to have the defense at least to decent or better and if one these QB's do step up we could have a pretty good year. We just can't take anyone lightly even the ones we think should be easy.

Watching Tevin made you appreciate the reads and understanding he bought to the game. That said, he was a game manager when this offense has to have a game breaker at quarterback. Otherwise, you face what Virginia Tech, Miami, and others were doing which was make the quarterback keep the ball. I really think that we will have a quarterback committed to the system who has bought into what we are trying to do. There is no doubt in my mind that Vad essentially tuned out after the start of last year. Unlike some, I am not concerned about quarterback as much as the problems that continue on the line. We still do not have tackles that are athletic enough for this offense. It is really hard to find tackles to fit this scheme because they have to be able to play in space so much. We missed Morgan Bailey last year for this reason.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Nesbitt didn't look so good the first half of 2010 before the injury (although he and the whole team started looking a LOT better in the VT game before the infamous injury). My point is that the supporting cast, and the strength of the opponent's defense has a WHOLE lot to do with how good a QB looks.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nesbitt didn't look so good the first half of 2010 before the injury (although he and the whole team started looking a LOT better in the VT game before the infamous injury). My point is that the supporting cast, and the strength of the opponent's defense has a WHOLE lot to do with how good a QB looks.

2010 was a team psych issue not talent, imo.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

2010 was a team psych issue not talent, imo.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
My point is that the supporting cast, and the strength of the opponent's defense has a WHOLE lot to do with how good a QB looks.

+1000

Logan Thomas is a great example. Had a great first year starting with a veteran talented receiving corps, senior laden OL, and great RB PLAY. And he feasted on our D.

Will any of our quarterbacks this year have Jon Dwyer or Anthony Allen lining up behind him? Will they have Demaryius Thomas or Tyler Melton blocking downfield? I think we miss Coach Bohannon more than we know.