will matthews remain with team?

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sure he's incredibly frustrated. I think he has tremendous upside as a self-confident player who is not shy about shooting. However, he seems consistently confused and out of position on offense and defense. And his defensive stance, awareness and close outs need major work. I'm not surprised he doesn't play; he jeopardizes games at this point. If he could figure it out and get a sniff quicker on his drives I think he becomes big contributor. Hope he sticks with program.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't seem likely if he's retweeting things mid game. Pastner seems to have a history of losing a lot of players to transfer for whatever reason...

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From the public comments made, although CJP had a lot of kids leave at Memphis, I'm not sure this is a Pastner thing if C-Matt leaves.

Hopefully, he figures things out & this becomes a learning experience at the beginning of a successful GT career.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think we should be careful not to draw too many comparisons to the Memphis situation. Apples to oranges w.r.t. the player transfer thing. As has been discussed ad nauseum, the situation at MEM is just different than here. Not judging better/worse, just saying we're 2 different places in a lot of ways.

I mean, the Nichols kid (allegedly) fell out of favor at MEM (allegedly) due (allegedly) to *ahem* pharmaceutical sales/use. Sure he transferred out but, if true, ... I mean, is that on the coach?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we should be careful not to draw too many comparisons to the Memphis situation. Apples to oranges w.r.t. the player transfer thing. As has been discussed ad nauseum, the situation at MEM is just different than here. Not judging better/worse, just saying we're 2 different places in a lot of ways.

I mean, the Nichols kid (allegedly) fell out of favor at MEM (allegedly) due (allegedly) to *ahem* pharmaceutical sales/use. Sure he transferred out but, if true, ... I mean, is that on the coach?

Agree with this. I'm not saying we won't see our share of transfers over time, but if we do, the reasons will be different.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

And then got booted from UVA for selling weed

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I posted below in the Notre Dame topic however thought it would be appropriate here...

I've had that same feeling. A lot has been made about CJP's reactions when CMatt misses a defensive assignment. I hope CMatt is up to the challenge to improve. At the same time, he could be looking at incoming recruits and wonder where he might fit in on the depth chart going forward.