Will GT win 10+ games next season?

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Emphatically yes ... If and only if the guys keep the sense of family, trust, brotherhood, love and playing for each other that they had last year.

I think they will, from everything I've read. The leaders who have graduated are being replaced with the next group of leaders, who seem to have the same attitudes and set the same examples as their predecessors. Key of course is JeT.

I'm optimistic for 10 wins.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
2 big keys...we need (again) to avoid injuries, esp. @ DT, BB, WR, and AB where we are thin. And D has to continue forcing TO's and continues its improvement in getting stops shown in last half of the past season.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What he said.

Unfortunately, having been a GT fan for a long time, I remember the 1991 season, as well as the 1999 season. Both times we were coming off unexpectedly brilliant years, with rousing success, and had very high hopes starting the next year. Both times we failed to win 10 games. We did OK, but certainly not up to the level of the prior year, and were quickly off the national radar screens as we ran through a Top 25, but certainly not a Top 10 type season.

So, if we do it this coming year, it will (sad to say) be the first time in my lifetime that we have done so. And I'm old. So that's not encouraging.

I think it all has to do with team chemistry.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think it all starts with talent in key positions, primarily qb. The qb is vital, he is a performance multiplier across the offense. His ability to execute all elements of the offense on a high level puts incredible pressure on a defense. It forces them to play us honestly which makes everybody's job easier. It also forces them to gamble and if read correctly can be daggers for our offense.

The next key component, imo, is a dominant DL. If you don't have that, you need to at least have a competent one or be very opportunistic on defense, which we were last year.

Next on my wishlist would be a deep and talented OL. It looks like we have that right now even though we just graduated our most dominant O Lineman in decades.

So it looks like we have 2.5 of the big 3 of the DCS book on success at GT in this system. Looks pretty good to me and it looks good going beyond this season, too. A nice little run is definately possible. Anything beyond that depends on how our recent recruiting pans out in those critical areas and, of course, avoiding the injury bug.

Animal02

Banned
It all comes down to a few bounces of the ball. I really believe that had we not had the lucky bounces in the Pitt game, the season would have ended entirely different. As it was, after two tough close losses, the ball bounced the right way that set in motion the rest of a fantastic season.

Had the D.J White forced fumble near goal line gone out of bounds before it crossed the goal line, the season may have turned out completely different. Fractions of inches, fractions of seconds can make such a difference. Emotions and momentum are huge factors in a game played by 19-22 y.o.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What he said.

Unfortunately, having been a GT fan for a long time, I remember the 1991 season, as well as the 1999 season. Both times we were coming off unexpectedly brilliant years, with rousing success, and had very high hopes starting the next year. Both times we failed to win 10 games. We did OK, but certainly not up to the level of the prior year, and were quickly off the national radar screens as we ran through a Top 25, but certainly not a Top 10 type season.

So, if we do it this coming year, it will (sad to say) be the first time in my lifetime that we have done so. And I'm old. So that's not encouraging.

I think it all has to do with team chemistry.
I agree with this--and I am old as well. I was alive in the early fifties but still too young to be aware of that prodigious run. For Tech, 10+ is rare. Hard to figure that Va Tech, TCU and programs like that have more 10+ win seasons in the last twenty years than we do in our 100 year history. Ten wins is a lofty goal given our history, and the schedule next year. But one thing is a certainty for me. Whatever happens in 2015 will not negate 2014.

Animal02

Banned
I agree with this--and I am old as well. I was alive in the early fifties but still too young to be aware of that prodigious run. For Tech, 10+ is rare. Hard to figure that Va Tech, TCU and programs like that have more 10+ win seasons in the last twenty years than we do in our 100 year history. Ten wins is a lofty goal given our history, and the schedule next year. But one thing is a certainty for me. Whatever happens in 2015 will not negate 2014.

The 10 win season runs are a new phenomenon. It is only in the recent past that the season has been extended. FOr most of college football history, 11 games was a season limit.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I"ve said it before...GT is set up to have 9+ wins the next 2-3 years...especially the next 2 years with JT at the helm.

Then we have the other ingredient: Depth on the lines. Our OL is probably the deepest I can remember it being since I've been a GT fan. Our DE group is also the deepest I can remember it being. We're going to lose Gotsis and JHD at DT in 2016, but Gamble will return.

Then our skill positions have more speed there than I can remember.

Lots of our talent in those spots are young.

The X-factor in all of this is CPJ. If a bigger school comes a knocking or if possibly (though a long shot) the NFL. I think it would be hard for CPJ to walk away from what he's built. The chamber is full of bullets, and it took him 7 years to get the roster the way he wanted it.

Also have to keep in mind staff turnover. The more success we have, the more other schools will want to emulate it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
last year we started poorly but still got wins ( hey justin Thomas is good) and finished strong 4of5 against quality teams (hey justin Thomas is very good).

This year we start as a good team . The ol could be as good as the old ucla teams that used to ram the ball down people's throats .

This year we do start strong , have a few let downs and still get 10 wins against tougher schedule. We end season with - a several more justin Thomas - hey that guy is very good. The 10 win team is viewed as very good going into next .
This whole season we will be declared the underdog - chip, should, nailed down.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, I think it is definitely possible, but I still believe because of our defensive deficiencies, mainly on the D line, we will have an uphill battle, but if they can be opportune and force turnovers, sure, 10+ is definitely possible again. Some of you may see this as "negative", but I like to call it realistic. Our schedule is VERY tough next year.

NOTE: We also have to stay very healthy at key spots, where the depth is not there yet...

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Well I hate to be redundant I think the strength of schedule is little overblown. This schedule has brand strength rather team strength with a little case of some folks don't want to fully dive in the GT pool.

For those who really follow CFB I have an exercise for you. Swap names with each opponents and tell me if your feelings don't when see that factory up top. Start with ND, how strong would you think Tech would be coming off a 7-6 season with a turnover prone QB and team extremely inconsistent?

What if we had FSU roster? Losing probably the no.1 overall QB in the upcoming draft while replacing him with McGuire who looked very Cole Stoudtish in his start or RS Fr. Not to mention losing 7-8 on O and D.

What about Clemson? Stud QB coming off an ACL tear and no returning OLineman to protect him to get it to his playmakers (good luck). Also lose Chad Morris and arguably the best DLine we have faced since LSU '08 or VT '11.

What about UGA? No QB. No WRs One-dimensional. Defense is still suspect and may be worse

Now take any of those 4 names and add GT roster to it. I'm pretty sure the question will not be will we win 10 but more along the lines of CFP

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
http://isportsweb.com/2015/03/26/has-georgia-tech-football-turned-the-corner/

Has Georgia Tech become the type of program that can now reload and win double digit games consistently? Perhaps the time has come whereby this team can match its success from last season and raise the bar by showing the pundits this team is not a one time fluke.
Reads to me like a required paper in an MBA course. It is a question best posed should we win 10 or more in 2015, and then we will have a better gauge on whether a corner has been turned. Meanwhile, maybe toting a paper bag around will help with hyperventilating. I too remember 2010 and following years and the apparently enormously bad team chemistry that doomed the seasons. We should play 'em one game at a time and do everything we can to help the team win. (I can do other cliches on demand.) That being said, I am optimistic.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
If the D keeps improving we have a shot at ten regular season wins. Thomas is the perfect option Qb and our Oline is loaded! Johnson has to beat the mutts in Atlanta this year!