Will Griffin and Gray be the best pair of safeties under Johnson?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm trying to think back.

2012 had Jamea Thomas and Isaiah Johnson as juniors

2008 had Mario Edwards and Jarrard Tarrant.

Thoughts?

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
In terms of run support, I think they may be. However, I'd have to agree with 33jacket that Burnett alone probably gave us the best safety play under PJ.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Do they have a shot this year? Sure, but they will have a long way to go imo. Gray will need to start making some big time plays and griffin a little better in coverage.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I'm trying to think back.

2012 had Jamea Thomas and Isaiah Johnson as juniors

2008 had Mario Edwards and Jarrard Tarrant.

Thoughts?

Well, just my uninformed opinion but if you are talking about open field tackling, then Jemea Thomas is your man. For over all ability the Mario Edwards/ Morgan Burnett duo was probably the best just because Burnett was so good at pass coverage and anticipation. No offense, Mario you were pretty good too. I am sure there are others on this board who can give a more reasoned opinion. With the line play, we have had in the Johnson era at times it would not have mattered if we had D. Sanders in his prime back there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought Gray took a step back last year. Seemed like he had less range, and took too many false steps. Definitely played better the last few games, but overall it was an uneven year for him. I look for him to have a big rebound year...LOTS of talent there. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Gray a hybrid OLB/DB role especially against spread sets.

Griffin played better as the year went on. To me, he was the most consistent defensive player we had. Plays bigger than he looks, and seemed to be in all the right places in some big games. If he improves upon his seasons last year, he's an All-ACC guy.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Gray is solid, but he didn't strike me as a difference maker in '16. I'm confident he'll have a better junior season though!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I thought Gray took a step back last year. Seemed like he had less range, and took too many false steps. Definitely played better the last few games, but overall it was an uneven year for him. I look for him to have a big rebound year...LOTS of talent there. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Gray a hybrid OLB/DB role especially against spread sets.

Griffin played better as the year went on. To me, he was the most consistent defensive player we had. Plays bigger than he looks, and seemed to be in all the right places in some big games. If he improves upon his seasons last year, he's an All-ACC guy.

I love the way Corey Griffin plays, but I just worry that he's liable to catch a BS targeting call that could change a game. I remember him getting one in 2015 I think that made a difference in that game (can't remember the specifics, but I am pretty sure it happened). He's definitely puts a bit of fear in WRs coming across the middle.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I love the way Corey Griffin plays, but I just worry that he's liable to catch a BS targeting call that could change a game. I remember him getting one in 2015 I think that made a difference in that game (can't remember the specifics, but I am pretty sure it happened). He's definitely puts a bit of fear in WRs coming across the middle.
Duke game, homecoming. OMG!!!!