Will Clemson be more aggressive than BC and Vanderbilt?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sure they will line up like them but on snap will they move FORCE THE BALL OUT OF JT' s HANDS. Instead of waiting for jt to come to the unblocked defender will they attack to force the early pitch.?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
They will be. Question is can we make em pay. This is what made 2014 great. And 2015 a disaster.

If our players have stars in their eyes it willbe a long night. They better not be too geeked up

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Clemson will be bringing it, we will need to mix-in the pass to slow them down.

I think we need to be very physical, stay focused and keep them honest with some success passing.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If we block well, doing that would be a disaster for them. If we don't, well …

But what I said about Watson goes for us: the key to beating Tech is to keep JT from running. He can wreck a game in nothing flat if he gets loose more then once or twice. Let's hope he does.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
One trick Clem likes to use is a delay by the DE. Their ends are athletic enough they can wait for the mesh to complete, then tackle whoever ended up with the ball. That's one reason we end up running midline against them so much.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Last year they brought a lot of pressure in a variety of ways. When we tried to go play action they just kept coming trying to get to JT before he could get the ball out. I would expect more of the same unless we can make them pay early. Clemson's biggest asset last year was their speed on defense. I know they lost a lot of players, but they still have a lot of speed and talent. We need some solid execution all day long from the O to win this one.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
One trick Clem likes to use is a delay by the DE. Their ends are athletic enough they can wait for the mesh to complete, then tackle whoever ended up with the ball. That's one reason we end up running midline against them so much.
I thought we ran midline on them because they usually have a DT we can't block.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree we ran midline because we could not block the tackle. Laughed my tail off in 11 when we midlined and their DT murdered the bback at the goal line but the problem was he didn't have the ball. He was one upset dlineman. Last year Clemson blitzed cornerbacks several times blowing up the option.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In 14 Fsu, uga, MSU did not attack like we saw in 15.

Clemson will do what ever it takes to get us behind schedule until we show them we can at will pass effectively and burn them occasionally.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree we ran midline because we could not block the tackle. Laughed my tail off in 11 when we midlined and their DT murdered the bback at the goal line but the problem was he didn't have the ball. He was one upset dlineman. Last year Clemson blitzed cornerbacks several times blowing up the option.
I remember that play vividly. It was like "Woo Hoo.... wait, what.... oh, sh**!"

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As is for most games, this one is gonna be won or lost in the trenches. Both teams are deep on the lines and will be rotating guys in and out. If we can't get a few stops, our D is gonna get gassed and it won't matter how deep we are. Same goes for our O. We can't afford 3 and outs. We have to keep Clem's D out there and wear them down and keep their high powered O cold and nervous on the sidelines.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
On offense for us my biggest worry is that we have not really had that much success in all games with bback blowing up the middle ---even vs mercer.Look at the stats for bback.When in last game ,350lb Shamire gets stood up by a 290 lb DT , I worry.Between not making the block and incorrect blocking assignment,I'm worry that we will struggle. Can't run up middle ,can't run outside vs fast teams.Maybe we can burn them on pass plays.
They will be coming,count on it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........ Clemson will do what ever it takes to get us behind schedule until we show them we can at will pass effectively and burn them occasionally.

100% agree. They are going to test our pass blocking and see if JT can complete passes with pressure. If we stop the pass rush, JT throws under pressure and the receivers are open, we'll be fine. We haven't been able to do that since 2014 or earlier against talented teams.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am of the opinion right now that if just execute we will be able to move the ball on anybody. BC has every bit of the defense that we can expect from any team on the schedule including the tigers. We didn't execute very well against them but we showed that we won't be stymied either. On offense, this game tomorrow will be more about us than them IMHO. If we play well and pick up the right guys, we will be right there. The last significant piece is blocking in space, especially the skill guys, but the OL too in spots.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Sure they will line up like them but on snap will they move FORCE THE BALL OUT OF JT' s HANDS. Instead of waiting for jt to come to the unblocked defender will they attack to force the early pitch.?

In a presser from Dabo (sorry, no link, bur it was in a post on one of the primary GT boards), he said a few times that they have to disrupt the line of scrimmage. I interpret that to mean they will look more like VT with pre-snap movement and crashing the gaps. I hope we have a counter move ready for that.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I think you can count on it. They will play fast and aggressive. Let's see how it pans out. If we can get it to the fourth quarter we can win. If it is a blowout more than likely they will be doing the "blowing out" so to speak. I think we can beat them but I would not bet on any college game and especially not Tech and Clemson.