Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Same

Votes: 39 47.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 26 31.3%

• Total voters

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not optimisti c for a good season from our A-Backs. I don't have a real rational explanation for why, but Ialso understand that the floor is high for this position in terms of production while the ceiling is relatively low.

I don't think blocking will be where it needs to be.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Perkins has the best chance to have a blocking and running breakout this year.

I see so much ability in Andrews, but all I hear from coaches is he cannot block.

I was looking forward to Donavon playing AB. He looked like a blocker and a runner with no fear.

Myles is going to have a tough time if he cannot block.

Days has always been someone I have been rooting for due to his excellent blocking. I have almost given up on his running. Last spring game he ran with power. In games he leaves his feet to much. His vision and change of direction is not enough and he should depend on his power more. Stay on your feet and make people pay for being in your way to the TD.

Hill is the most balanced, but does not have the timing of Godhigh. I am greatfull he is still on the team.

Leggate seems to have the size, but we will not know till we see him play.

Boston and Zenon have had some great plays for us. They need to show no fear. I think that is thier biggest hold back.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Unless Dennis Andrews steps up and fills the void that Robbie left, I don't see how this position could be as effective. I don't think anyone has markedly improved from last year.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have not been as productive at this position since Monken left. I think Lamar Owens is not getting the most out of this group. We have an abundance of resources dedicated to this position and our return on investment is very small. I would like to see someone else take this group over and see if indeed, like the offensive line, we might gain more with a different man coaching this group.

I will pleasently surprised if we are better than last year. We probably will be about the same.

Go Jackets!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
We have not been as productive at this position since Monken left. I think Lamar Owens is not getting the most out of this group. We have an abundance of resources dedicated to this position and our return on investment is very small. I would like to see someone else take this group over and see if indeed, like the offensive line, we might gain more with a different man coaching this group.

I will pleasently surprised if we are better than last year. We probably will be about the same.

Go Jackets!
I'm thinking you're talking about blocking rather than running. It seems to me we've been as good or better running and catching with Orwin and Robbie as we were with Roddy and Allen.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the overall production will be the same as last year. We will miss Godhigh, but I think the system will produce as it has in the past.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Godhigh is a big loss. He was excellent in every phase. I've got to go with worse. I think when we need a big play this year, we're not going to be looking for an AB to make it. I do think the system will still be a productive system but I think the yards will be redistributed ... I'm thinking/hoping there will be a decrease in AB stats but an increase in BB and QB stats.

I'm also wondering how the passing game is going to fare going from Vad to Thomas/Byerly, and how that will affect AB and WR production.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I agree about the redistribution from Aback to other positions this year. Unless Autry is as good as advertised or Andrews comes through we will be looking rough on the edges. Deon Hill and Charles Perkins are the X factors. If they can stay healthy I believe they get a majority of the carries early on.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I agree about the redistribution from Aback to other positions this year. Unless Autry is as good as advertised or Andrews comes through we will be looking rough on the edges. Deon Hill and Charles Perkins are the X factors. If they can stay healthy I believe they get a majority of the carries early on.
Days will be on the field more than any other AB this year. We need Andrews to step up and be the runner we all think he can be.

So much depends on Perkins and Hill being healthy and ready to go. Days is probably the best blocker at the position and I still say Dennis Andrews will be the one who takes the lead if either Perkins or Hill are less than 100%. Snoddy's the wild card . Color me cautiously optimistic at this point in time.
We have really seen nothing from the returning backs that gives us any reason to think there will be the playmaking ability of a Robbie Godhigh on the field this year. Until we see it, we can't realistically expect any of our stable of backs has innate, game-changing ability. Since I have tagged him as my break-out player of the year, I am hoping that Perkins has some kind of epiphanal experience, either handling snakes or speaking in tongues, or both, and comes out as the reincarnation of Robert Lavette.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I love the new term "game changers" that everyone is using now. The GT fans that are praising Godhigh now were the same ones complaining about him last year all because he didn't have the "measurables". For all the CPJ haters and complainers about recruiting I say "see ya later" The future is bright at GT and it starts this year!

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I love the new term "game changers" that everyone is using now. The GT fans that are praising Godhigh now were the same ones complaining about him last year all because he didn't have the "measurables". For all the CPJ haters and complainers about recruiting I say "see ya later" The future is bright at GT and it starts this year!

Who was complaining about Godhigh last year? Can't imagine anyone complaining about him after the UNC game in 2012.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes, I remember many moaning about our talents and dismissing Godhigh at the least and overlooking him at the best.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I was one who felt pessimistic about Robbie being named a starter 2 years ago before the season started. I'd say 95% of the message board folks felt that way. Many people thought it was an indictment on our recruiting (especially at AB) that a walk-on of Robbie's stature could beat all of them out. It was also said that it was primarily because he was the best blocker, so that too made everyone's expectations of him pretty low. So, I also felt that there would be a big drop in production once Orwin was gone.

Robbie Godhigh proved me and 95% of message board folk DEAD A-- WRONG. And, I love him for that. He's a friggin' inspiration.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I remember when scored the first TD that year. Made 3 VT guys miss. My pretty much exact thoughts in this pretty much exact order were: "Did I just see that? Man, was he just lucky on that one, or were those VT guys just that bad on that one play? Could he really be that good? Maybe there is a good reason why he's starting. Wow, that was awesome. Go Jackets!"

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
If all the AB's learn how to block then we will be fine. However, no one will have a season like Godhigh at AB this season unless Myles Autry kills it.

I don't see Myles Autry coming in and killing it except maybe on special teams. I would look to Dennis Andrews to become the new playmaker imo.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I loved Orwin Smith. Robby made me forget about him.
I hope one of these guys this year make me forget about Robby.
I honestly believe that Robbie has set the mark very high for any other Aback to match. His inate ability to stay on his feet and change speeds on a dime to avoid tacklers is what you NEED to be productive there. All the pass catching he did and great blocking was just icing on the cake. Anybody who watched film of him should give him a shot in the NFL. A team like philly would be perfect for him. Has so many talents its unbelievable... just on the small side.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I remember when scored the first TD that year. Made 3 VT guys miss. My pretty much exact thoughts in this pretty much exact order were: "Did I just see that? Man, was he just lucky on that one, or were those VT guys just that bad on that one play? Could he really be that good? Maybe there is a good reason why he's starting. Wow, that was awesome. Go Jackets!"
+1