Wildest 2 minutes of football - ever

slugboy

Staff member
You have to watch it You Tube, but it's worth it!

KC has the best QB in football and the Bills have a really smart scheme. The rest of the playoffs will be hard pressed to have conference championships or a super bowl as good as just yesterday’s games

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
"NFL overtime rules stink vs. Just play defense" has been the debate of Twitter.

I think everyone expected that whoever won the OT coin toss was going to win by virtue of scoring a TD. It's unfortunate in some ways, but at least the OT rules are improved over where they were several years ago.

Also just saw this weird stat, an interesting nugget amidst all the crazy stats from yesterday's game:
While he played two nearly flawless games, one perfect streak for Allen came to an end on Sunday night. The coin toss.

Amazingly, Allen had been a perfect 9-0 this season calling heads or tails. Against the Chiefs, Allen went 0-2.

slugboy

Staff member
He had to have just KNOWN he had won the game when he found Davis with 13 seconds remaining.

Question: Why did the Bills KO into the endzone? I would have kept the ball in play and run some time.
I also thought "squib kick that and run some time off". I'd rather have the ball in someone's hands OTHER than Mahomes.

When Buffalo went for 1 at the end, I also thought "hmm, go for two?"

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A couple thoughts on squib vs. not squib:

1) There's a school of thought that kickoff return is most dangerous at that point in the game with the amount of time. Not sure whether I agree or disagree, just a thought that it can be an unsettled situation very quickly.

2) Not sure the kickoff was the issue. The issue was the defense. Give Mahomes as much credit for yesterday's performance as you want. Allowing for all the accolades, I would assert that any NFL QB could've made the passes that were called with < 13 seconds. Play 1: Tyreek Hill, wide open, catch the ball and run as fast as you can. Play 2: Kelce 1-on-1 and open pretty much immediately.

To me the first play-call was clever. The second was fine. Both were terrible, unprepared defense. The Bills obviously wanted to prevent a bomb, and the Chiefs proved it wasn't necessary.

My guess: I think if Hill hadn't housed the TD with 1 minute to go, there might have been less give in the D, but the Bills were dealing with one type of PTSD, and by overindexing against it, caused a second traumatic event.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I watched more NFL this weekend than I have in the past 15 years. Seriously. I think, given the way the league manages parity, that might make me drift further in that direction. I like a sport that levels the playing field and understands the benefits of doing so. And the product was compelling. Way moreso than what I have seen in the college football playoffs.

As a traditionalist, I also like the fact that the Packers, 49'ers, Chiefs, Bills, etc. look exactly like they did (in terms of uniforms) when I was a young child. That is a very, very minor point in comparison to #1 but worth mentioning. I think that is the very essence of branding.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I also thought "squib kick that and run some time off". I'd rather have the ball in someone's hands OTHER than Mahomes.

When Buffalo went for 1 at the end, I also thought "hmm, go for two?"
Was Hill back returning? Because I wouldn't have kicked to him at that point. Buffalo couldn't tackle him

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The Bills should have just tackled the Chiefs receivers shortly after the snap every play on the last drive. 5 yard penalty every time, but seconds tick off. They wouldn't have time to get into field goal range.

slugboy

Staff member
Was Hill back returning? Because I wouldn't have kicked to him at that point. Buffalo couldn't tackle him
If you squib the kick, it's probably a less dangerous upback that gets the ball. He'd have to get it back to Hill or the other return man.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you remember, uga pooched the KO to us in 2014 and we started the drive on our 43. It took just one play to get into FG range and Butker nailed it. I think there are valid arguments both ways.

Also, deep for KC was not Hill, but Byron Pringle.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Exhibit A that the squib kick isn't really a sure thing either. I was at this game next to some obnoxious Bears fans who just let us have it after the Bears scored. Boy they left in a hurry at the end.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The Bills have the #1 defense in the NFL. And, the #1 pass defense.

But, Mahomes was almost perfect last night.
Someone else has addressed this already but I thought the defensive calls were terrible.

Also agree with you that a squib kick might have been preferable. You definitely would want a kick that is hard to corral hoping a receiver touches it so the clock runs as he is trying to get his bearings. Kicking teams would need to be gunners and speedsters. Could have reduced those 13 seconds to 9 seconds. Then on defense I would want enough defensive backs that you could jam receivers at the line to slow their route running while still having a prevent formation.