Wild Mutt Formation

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Watching UGAg yesterday, they were using a running back to take the snap, and then a jet sweep or zone read off of it. This is nothing we haven't seen before. The QB lines up as a WR in a 1x2 set.

Given our D how would you defend it?

I think I would fire the corner assigned to cover the QB (lined up as the WR) as well as gap blitz with the MLB and OLB opposite the motion side. The motion side LB would blitz the motion side edge. The free safety drops to clean up the run or jump the route of QB.

I have not seen a defense play it this way, but my thinking is to bring more than they can block, and bait a throw to the QB in the event of a pass. The QB is less likely to be the target of the throw and less likely to win a contested pass. At least this is my thnking. Of course if we lose contain the play would be huge, but that is the chance I would take with our personnel on D. It may force a bad pass or decision by the RB playing QB.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Can't wait to see what kind of trickery they have in store for us this year. They like to talk about our gimmicky offense how they play grown man football but they are always the one running fake FGs, punts and random onside kicks.