Why the 2015 Defense Will Be Improved

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
While we still have questions about the eligibility of JHD, the improvement of Kallon at DT, and who steps up at SDE, we have solidified the other positions with solid performance and depth.

Coaching has kicked in as evidenced by much improved overall tackling, all out hustle and no quit effort, and strategic rotation to develop quality depth. Conditioning is also very good as evidenced by low numbers of injuries and players like Freeman and Gotsis who are still strong in the fourth quarter.

The back five could use a little more speed in coverage at S and better tackling everywhere, even though there has been significant improvement. The quality depth at these positions is strong and has been tested against good competition. CB is especially experienced and deep. Safeties are well experienced as well and newcomers such as JJohnson and Kagawa could add even more help.

Lbs Harrell, Macordes, Hankins, and especially Davis are a solid group with likely help coming from Alford, Jackson and especially Lewis. If a couple of these LBs step up their game to help Davis this could be a real team strength.

WDE is very strong with Freeman, Simmons, and Whitehead.

SDE needs one or two of Stargel, Chungong, or Merriweather to step up. Gamble is solid help depending on JHD eligibility. If Simmons continues to improve he could move over like late in the OB.

DT is still the question (with JHD unknown) but Gotsis is very good and Kallon and Gamble have shown improvement. Henderson may help in a backup role (again depending on JHD). IF JHD is eligible this position could become a team strength. If not we likely are no worse than 2014.

I really like to watch this defense play and if we see significant improvement, as I project we will, we could be in for another special season.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I see no reason why there shouldn't be improvement. We have more depth this season and JHD will be a huge help if he can play. Last season we had a lot of bounces go our way for once. (INT's & Fumbles). Maybe it's just me but every 3rd and long last season felt like a guaranteed 1st down for the opposing team. If we can stop the run and get some pressure on the QB the secondary has the talent to make plays.

GT_Johnnybodkin

Jolly Good Fellow
Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 12.31.24 AM.png

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
After rewatching Ga So. there's no question in my mind that we improved on defense throughout last season. As the season went on our fundamentals--angles, tackling, assignments--got much better throughout the year. Isiah in particular was playing lights out by the end of the year.

So to me even if we assume personnel/talent is exactly the same level I would still expect we'll be a better defense overall. However I see talent increasing. We lose Nealy, Isiah, & Green. But to counter that we get a year more of Freeman (should improve off tr-fr year), Gotsis, Gamble & Rook-Chungong (still developing), and possibly Hunt Days. Simmons will be improving, as will Merriweather & Stargell. St. Amour is a possible pass rush guy if we are still hurting. Hunt we will have to see on.

At LB PJ Davis has improved and is playing even faster and definitely smarter. Macordes improved and showed some rush skills when healthy. Harrell is good against the run though a little stiff against the pass. Nealy was good against the pass and was all about turnovers. He will be missed. However Davis & Macordes improving and a capable guy in Harrell who will hit you soften the blow. And there are guys like T. Lewis, Jackson who look ready to get in the rotation. Don't sleep on Vic Alexander and Brant Mitchell who look like college ready bodies.

At S Isiah leaves a big hole. Golden has been a big play/turnover guy who uses ability and film study to make big things happen. However physicality and open field tackling are areas he needs to work on. Demond Smith has played a bunch and is physical in the run game. He will need to step up and have a big season. Promising guys like Kagawa, Corey Griffin, and J. Johnson do provide some good depth.

At corner we should be better. White is a stalwart big play guy and leader who grew a lot last year. Milton developed some last year and has the ability and athleticism to make big things happen. He just needs to continue to get better. Depth here is looking better with the Austin twins having gotten experience and Lynn Griffin has promise. Step Durham is a guy who can develop into a good corner as well.

On to the intangibles:

It was cool to see that even in the GSU game when we got carved up completely there was no quit in that group....on offense or defense. A pattern we were to see over and over against VT, Duke & UNC in defeat, UGA, against FSU, etc. DJ White's strip of Conner embodied the whole season. When you NEVER QUIT and play your guts out miracles and near miracles happen.

Another intangible is turnovers. Roof coaches the heck out of turnovers and his defensive strategy is geared towards stopping the run and making a team drive the entire field--then looking for sacks/fumbles, penalties, imcompletions, and picks. All the while hitting hard and playing to the whistle. With smart players like Golden, White, Nealy, & Johnson who get in the film room and learn to diagnose and anticipate plays it's a great strategy for stealing possessions. We'll need some guys to step up in the race for this season's Turnover Titan.

Putting it all together I see an improved front 7 (particularly if we get Hunt elligible), improved corners, and will guess that safety will be about equal. Guys understand what they are doing with Roof better and have a much better understanding of fundamentals going into the year. If they work hard to get better each day and embody the no-quit spirit of last year there is no question in my mind they will be a better unit. A lot of work needs to be done between now and then--but it's good work and should be fun to do under Coach Roof and Coach Sisk.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After rewatching Ga So. there's no question in my mind that we improved on defense throughout last season. As the season went on our fundamentals--angles, tackling, assignments--got much better throughout the year. Isiah in particular was playing lights out by the end of the year.

So to me even if we assume personnel/talent is exactly the same level I would still expect we'll be a better defense overall. However I see talent increasing. We lose Nealy, Isiah, & Green. But to counter that we get a year more of Freeman (should improve off tr-fr year), Gotsis, Gamble & Rook-Chungong (still developing), and possibly Hunt Days. Simmons will be improving, as will Merriweather & Stargell. St. Amour is a possible pass rush guy if we are still hurting. Hunt we will have to see on.

At LB PJ Davis has improved and is playing even faster and definitely smarter. Macordes improved and showed some rush skills when healthy. Harrell is good against the run though a little stiff against the pass. Nealy was good against the pass and was all about turnovers. He will be missed. However Davis & Macordes improving and a capable guy in Harrell who will hit you soften the blow. And there are guys like T. Lewis, Jackson who look ready to get in the rotation. Don't sleep on Vic Alexander and Brant Mitchell who look like college ready bodies.

At S Isiah leaves a big hole. Golden has been a big play/turnover guy who uses ability and film study to make big things happen. However physicality and open field tackling are areas he needs to work on. Demond Smith has played a bunch and is physical in the run game. He will need to step up and have a big season. Promising guys like Kagawa, Corey Griffin, and J. Johnson do provide some good depth.

At corner we should be better. White is a stalwart big play guy and leader who grew a lot last year. Milton developed some last year and has the ability and athleticism to make big things happen. He just needs to continue to get better. Depth here is looking better with the Austin twins having gotten experience and Lynn Griffin has promise. Step Durham is a guy who can develop into a good corner as well.

On to the intangibles:

It was cool to see that even in the GSU game when we got carved up completely there was no quit in that group....on offense or defense. A pattern we were to see over and over against VT, Duke & UNC in defeat, UGA, against FSU, etc. DJ White's strip of Conner embodied the whole season. When you NEVER QUIT and play your guts out miracles and near miracles happen.

Another intangible is turnovers. Roof coaches the heck out of turnovers and his defensive strategy is geared towards stopping the run and making a team drive the entire field--then looking for sacks/fumbles, penalties, imcompletions, and picks. All the while hitting hard and playing to the whistle. With smart players like Golden, White, Nealy, & Johnson who get in the film room and learn to diagnose and anticipate plays it's a great strategy for stealing possessions. We'll need some guys to step up in the race for this season's Turnover Titan.

Putting it all together I see an improved front 7 (particularly if we get Hunt elligible), improved corners, and will guess that safety will be about equal. Guys understand what they are doing with Roof better and have a much better understanding of fundamentals going into the year. If they work hard to get better each day and embody the no-quit spirit of last year there is no question in my mind they will be a better unit. A lot of work needs to be done between now and then--but it's good work and should be fun to do under Coach Roof and Coach Sisk.
I pretty much agree with all of this, but I will say, it will be hard to duplicate our success with TOs regardless of how improved we are. I will be just as happy if we field more punts next season in the place of TOs, but it sure would be great to get both!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

On to the intangibles:

Yep, agree that the defense will be better. You left out Whitehead in the equation. I think his high motor and karate like hand action will be a great change of pace for the sack attack.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer

On to the intangibles:

Great read! Aren't you a former player? If so I sure would like to know your name with the great reads we get from you! Sincerely, me

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
No not a GT player...played D-3 ball on a playoff team in late 80s ( 20 spots for at the time 350 schools). Defense was nationally ranked and D-coordinator was amazing.

Mostly just a huge GT fan and really appreciate the work the players put in on and off the field. My father was a stands physician and took me to games every Saturday. Grew up hating awful behaving inbreds in red and black, knowing the fight song, and eating as many Hickory House BBQ sanwiches from the pressbox as I could wolf down (7 was my record, 9 if you cound 2nd half...that hurt me though).

Love to follow the Jackets and when I get a head full of coffee sometimes I post way too long posts (that dont say anything the OP didnt already say LOL).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I pretty much agree with all of this, but I will say, it will be hard to duplicate our success with TOs regardless of how improved we are. I will be just as happy if we field more punts next season in the place of TOs, but it sure would be great to get both!

We can do as well in turnovers next year if we keep knocking the ball out and defending passes. You are right that many teams do well one year becasue they get a high percentage of recoveries of the balls they have the other team put on the ground. That part is luck -- geting more than 50% of the balls on the ground. But the other parts are more in the D's control - knocking the ball out and defending passes. Here's what I posted before on that ..... https://gtswarm.com/threads/turnovers-why-we-were-so-good-in-2014.6150/

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The biggest improvement I wanna see is in pass coverage by the LB's, especially in zone on 3rd down.
Agreed, although a lot of our problem was getting to the qb. It's hard to cover a guy for a long time, and it's easy when in zone for a qb to find a lane when he has forever to throw.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I t
I know, that's why I said agreed. I was just saying a lot of it was because we did not get to the qb.
I think we can agree that improvement is needed in both areas. I'm inclined to believe the pass rush will be much better. I doubt that will be the case with zone coverage.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
No not a GT player...played D-3 ball on a playoff team in late 80s ( 20 spots for at the time 350 schools). Defense was nationally ranked and D-coordinator was amazing.

Mostly just a huge GT fan and really appreciate the work the players put in on and off the field. My father was a stands physician and took me to games every Saturday. Grew up hating awful behaving inbreds in red and black, knowing the fight song, and eating as many Hickory House BBQ sanwiches from the pressbox as I could wolf down (7 was my record, 9 if you cound 2nd half...that hurt me though).

Love to follow the Jackets and when I get a head full of coffee sometimes I post way too long posts (that dont say anything the OP didnt already say LOL).
You do great keep it up!!!

I see no reason why there shouldn't be improvement. We have more depth this season and JHD will be a huge help if he can play. Last season we had a lot of bounces go our way for once. (INT's & Fumbles). Maybe it's just me but every 3rd and long last season felt like a guaranteed 1st down for the opposing team. If we can stop the run and get some pressure on the QB the secondary has the talent to make plays.
We will be hard pressed to improve upon or even equal last year's take-away numbers, but I think we will still be on he plus side. Our defense has the advantage of playing much less than half the game given the time of possession numbers we get from our offense. We may have to live with the reality that Justin Thomas is going to have an increase in quick scores, that might put our defense on the field more often. But I think we can all deal that.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We will be hard pressed to improve upon or even equal last year's take-away numbers, but I think we will still be on he plus side. Our defense has the advantage of playing much less than half the game given the time of possession numbers we get from our offense. We may have to live with the reality that Justin Thomas is going to have an increase in quick scores, that might put our defense on the field more often. But I think we can all deal that.

If there are more possessions per game, we should get more turnovers.