Why punt? Ever.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
i think there’s also just so much nuance in regards to the flow of the game, the way your opponents offense is playing the way your defense is playing, the weather etc.

just like poker or any other gamble it’s more about being selectively aggressive vs just having some balls to the wall strategy.

although i wouldn’t complain if more coaches wanna be like the guy at presbyterian and just go for it every time
Bobby Dodd said to never go for a field goal inside the ten yd line. Statistically, you'll score half the time inside the 10, so tack on the extra point, and it's scoring 7 vs. scoring 6. Was he right? Who knows? But that's what he said.

JacketFan137

Banned
Bobby Dodd said to never go for a field goal inside the ten yd line. Statistically, you'll score half the time inside the 10, so tack on the extra point, and it's scoring 7 vs. scoring 6. Was he right? Who knows? But that's what he said.
yeah i think it’s a good philosophy but obviously sometimes the numbers don’t add up.

4th quarter 1:30 on the clock and you’re up 7 you’re not going for it on 4th and goal from the 8.

short yardage i’m always going for it though. loved paul going for it, i’m a huge ravens fan and i support harbaugh going on 4th and short too

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
It's the off-season, so what the hey.
  • If you never punt, you have four downs to get 10 yards.
  • If you never punt, your play-calling changes.
  • If you never punt, and you're deep in your own territory, your offense is highly motivated to convert that fourth down.
  • If you never punt, you will convert a few fourth downs, score a few more points, and thereby off-set the extra points the other team scores when you turn the ball over in bad field position.
😐

What? You want to continue arguing about locking threads?

Have fun.
I love Brandon Staley for this reason

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
Dodd also had a good defense and offenses were more conservative, particularly inside their own 10. He figured if he didn't make it on fourth, it would be 3 and punt for the other team and he was again in field goal range.
Bob
THWG