Why is Thacker still employed?

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be surprised if he hired a new DC, his "I'm regarded as an elite DC" comment made it sound like he's taking personal ownership of the job and willing to put his reputation on the line that the defense improves significantly. Hiring a new DC but not letting him run his defense would be odd, but I don't think Collins has the connections for a home run hire type DC that he could totally trust, based on the other recent hires.
Like I mentioned, the replacement is supposedly a dedicated ST coach and not a new DC. DC role would fall to Collins. I don’t mind that but only if he gives complete control of offense to CCL so Colllins isn’t pulled in two directions.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Plan A was likely to hire a new DC with Thacker as LB coach. CGC looked for a new DC, couldn’t find anyone good willing to jump on the sinking ship, so he went with Plan B: Thacker as DC and new LB coach.

CGC didn’t know if he could get a new DC so he was intentionally vague about Thacker’s new role in the post season press conference.
This makes the most sense

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It somewhat makes sense if Geoff is going to be the main guy in charge of the defense next year. I also doubt there were many options out there willing to come into a bad situation for relatively meager pay.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Thacker may also be interviewing for jobs it is easier to get a new job if you still have your old one. I firmly believe he'd probably be a really good FCS DC.

Jmonty71

Banned
Someone close to the program please explain why a coach involved in one of the worst defenses in Tech history is still around.
My theory? For Collins to have a "fall guy" for the end of next season, when we have another losing season. He fires Thacker, as a sacrifice for the fans. But, that's my theory. Lord knows, he sure didn't earn to come back, this next season.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My theory? For Collins to have a "fall guy" for the end of next season, when we have another losing season. He fires Thacker, as a sacrifice for the fans. But, that's my theory. Lord knows, he sure didn't earn to come back, this next season.
I think we’re past that point, and if Collins doesn’t know that, Todd Stansbury isn’t doing a very good job of communicating expectations. If the intel from the 247 podcast is correct, I would guess that Collins is waiting to see who he can get as a special teams coach and letting Thacker weigh his options and decide whether he’d rather stay as an analyst or get a job elsewhere.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Plan A was likely to hire a new DC with Thacker as LB coach. CGC looked for a new DC, couldn’t find anyone good willing to jump on the sinking ship, so he went with Plan B: Thacker as DC and new LB coach.

CGC didn’t know if he could get a new DC so he was intentionally vague about Thacker’s new role in the post season press conference.
This sounds like a reasonable explanation. His best hope is that a much improved offense will make the defense look better in time of possession and better field position.

slugboy

Staff member
This sounds like a reasonable explanation. His best hope is that a much improved offense will make the defense look better in time of possession and better field position.
Stansbury talked about “finding 10 points” (hope I’m not misquoting). You won’t find enough points just on offense to have a successful season. If you do, either Long is a HC here or somewhere else after next season.
Going bowling needs across the board improvements in offense and defense. Not only can’t he put all his eggs in one basket, but he needs more than one basket to come through.

His best hope is that Long can manage the offense entirely while Collins turns around the defense. If I see Collins spend any time on offense, I’m worried.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury talked about “finding 10 points” (hope I’m not misquoting). You won’t find enough points just on offense to have a successful season. If you do, either Long is a HC here or somewhere else after next season.
Going bowling needs across the board improvements in offense and defense. Not only can’t he put all his eggs in one basket, but he needs more than one basket to come through.

His best hope is that Long can manage the offense entirely while Collins turns around the defense. If I see Collins spend any time on offense, I’m worried.
Question: Who will manage the game day stuff (timeouts, etc.) while on offense?

slugboy

Staff member
Question: Who will manage the game day stuff (timeouts, etc.) while on offense?
I don’t KNOW, but I’d like to see Long calling all the plays and Weinke up in the box.
The HC usually owns the timeouts—nature of the beast

Oh, this write up from FTRS looks good to me. Believe it or not, there’s a great chart in the comments

Edit: Doh! Now with the link

To be clear, I want Collins to turn this around. I feel like it’s a multi-year project due in a less than a year, and he’s eighteen months or more behind, so I’m pessimistic. Yes, it’s a hard project, but he’s missed every milestone so far.

Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
247 posted a podcast today (it’s free, I do not have a subscription) and they mentioned they had heard Thacker was on his way out either somewhere else or to an off the field position. They also mentioned that open spot would probably go to a dedicated Special Teams coach. Don’t know how “in the know” they are but sounded like they were connected to the inner circle of GTAA.

On the Tech fball website, he is still listed as LB coach /DC as of yesterday.The guy from Val st is also listed as LB coach. --amazing but considering --that Gibbs is listed with the new recruits--just wow-hmmmm

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The HC usually owns the timeouts—nature of the beast
It strikes me that if the HC is calling the timeouts, he should be pretty well attentive to the offense while it has the ball at all times. He isn't going to have time to pay attention to the defense if he's also DC.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It strikes me that if the HC is calling the timeouts, he should be pretty well attentive to the offense while it has the ball at all times. He isn't going to have time to pay attention to the defense if he's also DC.
I think the HC and Coordinators are talking to each other constantly during the game. Timeout calls are probably a joint decision. At least, they should be.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think the HC and Coordinators are talking to each other constantly during the game. Timeout calls are probably a joint decision. At least, they should be.
So, the OC is constantly talking to the head coach, who is also the DC. Seems to me it would divert the DC/HC's attention away from his defensive coordinating responsibilities. I don't see how he couldn't be heavily involved in what's going on with the offense, and at the same time adequately coordinate the defense. I don't see how this is going to work very well with a DC/HC. Just seems to me we need a separate DC and not a DC/HC. In practices it could certainly be done, but it seems it would create problems on game day, on the sideline. We don't need any more of those.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that finding a DC to accept a position at this time is problematic. Having CGC as the de facto DC might work well during practices and recruiting, but his inability to handle in game management is questionable and would only be more taxed if trying to handle the DC job during a close game.

The number of time outs called for both the offense and defense getting calls in must be reduced this year. If a new OC and CGC taking over the defense helps this phase of the game I am all for it.

Deleted member 4873

Lots of wild speculation from people who are guessing and really don’t know anything about the answer to the question. I know I don’t and you don’t either.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it going to be a much improved offense with the losses we’ve taken to the transfer portal and graduation?

I think it’s a much better coaching situation on offense, but unless Weinke has some magic “improved decision making” powder for Sims, it seems like we’ll be at parity or worse.