Why is spring game at 7:29 PM?

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
It's because of 8/29 date (kickoff time hasn't been set). CGC trying to keep focus on opening game.

For the Friday vs Saturday date, CGC has explained one of the selling points to recruits is the city. No better way to show off ATL than under the lights. So if he says there's something that will help recruiting, I'm happy to show up on a Friday night.

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
Got it. Thanks. Still seems odd. Wish the game was on Saturday to begin with for more potential fans
I hear ya, but we're supposedly going to have like 200 recruits attending....that wouldn't be the case if it were on a Sat competing against other big boy spring games.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I read an interview where Coach says that all meetings that would start at X:30 start at X:29 to help people remember the time better, and they apparently do something simillar for meetings starting on the hour.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear ya, but we're supposedly going to have like 200 recruits attending....that wouldn't be the case if it were on a Sat competing against other big boy spring games.
Well actually we are one of the last Spring games left. So there really aren't any "big boys" left. I think Uvag, Maryland, Colorado, and Washington are about all that's left. If they want to play under the lights why don't they play on Saturday night? I believe there will be a nightfall on Saturday also.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
How many teams haven’t played their spring game yet? Seems like most have already finished up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's because of 8/29 date (kickoff time hasn't been set). CGC trying to keep focus on opening game.

For the Friday vs Saturday date, CGC has explained one of the selling points to recruits is the city. No better way to show off ATL than under the lights. So if he says there's something that will help recruiting, I'm happy to show up on a Friday night.
Saturday night is dark too.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Could this have something to do with it?

upload_2019-4-24_9-28-26.png

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I read an interview where Coach says that all meetings that would start at X:30 start at X:29 to help people remember the time better, and they apparently do something simillar for meetings starting on the hour.

It's an old coaching trick. Glanville used it in 1968 for our FROG team.... Every practice started at 3:29, 3:34, etc. Every meeting at 11:29, 2:44, etc. Every bus to the airport at 6:29, etc. Much easier to remember than top/bottom of the hour, especially when you're dealing with 18-22 year old players.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I think CGC is channeling his inner Bill Bowerman from the Steve Prefontaine movie "Without Limits".

“7:27 provokes the question, ‘Why 7:27?’ and everybody gets here at 7:27 to find out why.”
– Bill Bowerman

And yes I am aware it's not the exact same but dang it, it's close.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Because we have a coach that understands the power of marketing, and how little decisions can have big effects. Kinda like how we are all talking about a start time of a game, and its the exact date of our 1st game and the number of all-time wins the program has.

Great decision coach.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
CGC said it in an interview that it was because we play Clemson on the 29th. He wants that number stuck in their heads and remembering what we are working towards. Every team meeting, practice, etc. that starts at the bottom of the hour starts at x:29 because of it. Also, it's 7:29 because the 7 represents the 7 home games we have this year. So every top of the hour meeting also starts at x:07.