Why Geoff Collins's Georgia Tech Rebuild Starts With a Rebrand

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes! Pretty sure it was Rocket Ismael carrying the ball on that play/return. I used to always state both reasons we should have been concensus champs.
Yes, it was the rocket.

After I posted this I watched a replay with a camera angle on the "clip" that I had never seen before. From that angle it certainly looks like a clip. Oddly, when I watched the game live the replays that night were very dubious looking on the clip. So I guess it could of been called either way.

But main point still stands, the only undefeated team in the country (Tech) had extremely bad luck to end up tied for a national championship.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was just thinking of the fanbase size and the type of fans that support those teams compared to ours. That's why I don't think we will ever be at that level, our fanbase will never be that size and our fans will never be as rabid. I won't be happy with only 8-9 win seasons, like I said in the prior post I would be happy with 10+ wins. But I'm just trying to be realistic and don't think it's possible to get on the same level money-wise as Bama and UGA but if we can get to the middle of the pack (at least) instead of 13th in the ACC I think that could make a huge difference.

Stanford is a special case, it sounds like their school is much more open to the idea of using their money for athletics whereas we like to keep most of our donations for the academic side so we can't really compare ourselves to them. But if that changes and we can start an endowment like they have, I agree that should be the model we go after.

Stanfords money comes from boosters who created the endowment, not directly from the school. As for 10+ wins, we won't see that routinely unless we are willing to spend for it. Again, it comes back to money. The schools that win big routinely are all flush with cash. We tried cheating the system with CPJs offense, to modest success, but even he couldn't get us there consistently. If we're gonna go toe to toe with the big boys for the same recruits to run similar offenses, we're going to have to keep up in the arms race that is NCAA Football.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
8-9 wins as a standard with occasional bursts of greatness is pretty much what any program not named Alabama or Clemson is ever really able to achieve. If we're winning 8-9 games routinely, we'll absolutely be generating the energy and momentum needed to break out with elite seasons when things go well. I can easily see Collins getting us to the level VT was at during Beamer's heyday with just a little luck.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
8-9 wins as a standard with occasional bursts of greatness is pretty much what any program not named Alabama or Clemson is ever really able to achieve. If we're winning 8-9 games routinely, we'll absolutely be generating the energy and momentum needed to break out with elite seasons when things go well. I can easily see Collins getting us to the level VT was at during Beamer's heyday with just a little luck.

VT averaged 10 wins a year under Beamer from 1999-2011.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I mean, the hated mutts have averaged 9.78 wins a year this whole century. They won 10,11,12 games a lot...I think we can average 8-9 a year with an occasional great year, but the mutts pretty much averaged around 11 wins a year with an occasional 8 win season which dipped their average down. There is a lot more nuance in those programs not named Alabama or Clemson then you let on. Hell, Alabama has only one won three more games than UGA since 2000 and that’s counting their vacated wins.

I guess you’ll have to define what a great year is. If it’s national championships, yes Bama is alone, but if you count the 11-3 OB type seasons we had in 2014 as great, UGA has had about 14 great years in 20 years.

I think we can be a consistent top 25 team soon, but I’m not sure we can realistically get to the point where Alabam and Clemson are the only teams obviously better than us that soon, if ever.

I sometimes think some of our fans don’t realize we have a f***ing giant in our own backyard we have to slay first. I hate them too, but as much as we joke about their national championship drought, they arguably have been the most consistent program not to win one in the last two decades.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Does anybody else love the new billboard marketing campaign? Drove by one this evening (unfortunately it flipped before I could see who it was welcoming! Jamious maybe?)...let's say you're a 14yo future college football star -- how could you be driving with mom or dad down I-85, see that, and NOT imagine your own face on that GT billboard broadcasted next to the Midtown or Downtown skyline???

Not sure if other programs do this, but regardless, really high quality stuff from GTAA and the Georgia Tech FB social media/marketing team. Check any of our signings' Twitters today and they are just floored by the billboards.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Does anybody else love the new billboard marketing campaign? Drove by one this evening (unfortunately it flipped before I could see who it was welcoming! Jamious maybe?)...let's say you're a 14yo future college football star -- how could you be driving with mom or dad down I-85, see that, and NOT imagine your own face on that GT billboard broadcasted next to the Midtown or Downtown skyline???

Not sure if other programs do this, but regardless, really high quality stuff from GTAA and the Georgia Tech FB social media/marketing team. Check any of our signings' Twitters today and they are just floored by the billboards.

I think Athens vocational has done this in the past minus the city skyline.