Why does the 4 letter network hate Tech?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I just finished watching the ACC preview show on ESPN. It should have been titled the Clemson/FSU hype show. Not a single mention of Tech during a hour long broadcast. Okay, I get Tech's not the favorite to win their division or the conference championship. But to be completely ignored?

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
To be fair, Tech did go 7-7 last year. We know that they closed strongly and are a better team than the record indicates, but that's too subtle for cable television, it seems. Winning solves this problem.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, Tech did go 7-7 last year. We know that they closed strongly and are a better team than the record indicates, but that's too subtle for cable television, it seems. Winning solves this problem.

No argument, but then they go on and triumph the usual Coastal teams, you know.....................NC, UM and VT. All the blockbusters from last year ;)

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

AE, nah not subtle at all. I was just commenting on my perception. Year after year we hear how great FSU and Clemson are yet they manage to fall on their collective faces year after year. Now going into this year I agree that both of those teams have a shot to be very good, if not excellent, teams. My point is real simple, in an hour long show Tech was not mentioned once.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
AE, nah not subtle at all. I was just commenting on my perception. Year after year we hear how great FSU and Clemson are yet they manage to fall on their collective faces year after year. Now going into this year I agree that both of those teams have a shot to be very good, if not excellent, teams. My point is real simple, in an hour long show Tech was not mentioned once.

I agree with you. I was just saying that ESPN would not be alone in judging the state of our program based on record only. I was more highlighting some of the stuff we see about CPJ on a hot seat in other forums. I wasn't responding against your point. Sorry for the confusion.

ToddM

Guys ESPN isn't a fan of any Georgia based team especially any in the City of Atlanta. The only thing I can guess at is CNN is based here. They don't give the Falcons much love either.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The ACC preview on ESPNU only showed four teams. They were F$U, Clemson, VT, and UNC. I'm not sure why UNC and VT got any love, they had a worse record than Tech. It was a pathetic broadcast. Watching that show was a major waste of my precious time. If Tech wins, they will get coverage. I was sitting thinking the ACC and the rest of America will soon know the name Vad Lee very soon. Doesn't GT have the most ACC wins of any conf team in the last 8 years. It seems like Tech is always picked to finish middle of the pack and they always end contending for the conf crown. This is the year Tech makes a lot of positive noise in the ACC and nationally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have to do something dramatic to get any attention like winning the National Championship. Even then the media will portray our success as a fluke and try to discredit any and all success. I know you will say that is paranoia but I have been around Tech football since 1949 and except for a brief few years of Dodd's 1950's run, Tech gets very little positive press. If you recall in 1990 Colorado who was given the Missouri game and the bowl game against Norte Dame was proclaimed to be the much superior football team. I guess some voters in the old UPI found enough of a conscious to vote us number one. If you want respect you have to take it, even when you earn it some will not acknowledge the fact.

Go Jackets!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
When anyone brings up Colorado circa 1990 I simply remind them, common opponent Nebraska. Tech won 45-21, Colorado won 27-12. Add to that the 5th down game (Mizzou) and the imaginary penalty (ND) I have no problem discounting the CU "championship". I would have loved for there to have been a head to head, Tech would have done to CU exactly what they did to Nebraska.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
We have to do something dramatic to get any attention like winning the National Championship. Even then the media will portray our success as a fluke and try to discredit any and all success. I know you will say that is paranoia but I have been around Tech football since 1949 and except for a brief few years of Dodd's 1950's run, Tech gets very little positive press. If you recall in 1990 Colorado who was given the Missouri game and the bowl game against Norte Dame was proclaimed to be the much superior football team. I guess some voters in the old UPI found enough of a conscious to vote us number one. If you want respect you have to take it, even when you earn it some will not acknowledge the fact.

Go Jackets!

Couldn't agree more !!!