Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I look at it this way.
RA is not interested in being a partner with a P5 school. They are not bidding.
Nike is not making much of an effort because they have alot of schools around us already so we really add no value to them.
UA and Adidas are the 2 that see value and a chance to expand. One of them is likely to get the contract. I don't expect a huge number but i expect a good number. Also keep in mind that the $ value is not the only thing being looked at. Stanbury has said they want someone who can be a good partner. That means more stuff for the S-A's, it means help with Marketing, it means developing programs for the AA.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Not sure if you are beginning to agree or just don't want to admit it makes a difference. But it's clear that someone other than Russell will help in at least a small way. Russell is backing off anyway so whoever we go with will provide an opportunity for some excitement that can't help but be positive.

It will be interesting maybe I will be wrong, I just do not see a basketball player who already has an agent and is tied up with a shoe company coming to Georgia Tech...Maybe we will get someone, but on an annual basis I just do not see it.

There are a ton of schools who have deals with Nike/UA/Adidas and their basketball programs are not that great.....

I could be wrong but I am thinking GT is wanting a certain student athletes and Todd has a vision or working plan to brand and market GT to those type of student athletes... I have not heard anywhere that GT is going to target the one and done athletes...

GTFLETCH

Banned
I look at it this way.
RA is not interested in being a partner with a P5 school. They are not bidding.
Nike is not making much of an effort because they have alot of schools around us already so we really add no value to them.
UA and Adidas are the 2 that see value and a chance to expand. One of them is likely to get the contract. I don't expect a huge number but i expect a good number. Also keep in mind that the $ value is not the only thing being looked at. Stanbury has said they want someone who can be a good partner. That means more stuff for the S-A's, it means help with Marketing, it means developing programs for the AA.
I agree 100 percent with this post!!

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
You're having a different discussion though. No one is saying, if we fix the uniforms, that's all we need to do.

And furthermore, IMHO the academic hurdles you allude to aren't as daunting in bball as they are in fball. I think we can dabble in the 1-and-doners without going full-Kentucky or w/e.

I'd rather stay away from the 1&done.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The 1-and-done was the downfall of Bobby Cremins. He never recovered from losing Marbury after Year 1. He grabbed Kevin Morris late in the process thinking Marbury would be there at least 2 years. We never had the dominant PG again under CBC. In the ACC, to be successful, you had to have a great PG.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The 1-and-done was the downfall of Bobby Cremins. He never recovered from losing Marbury after Year 1. He grabbed Kevin Morris late in the process thinking Marbury would be there at least 2 years. We never had the dominant PG again under CBC. In the ACC, to be successful, you had to have a great PG.

I'd say gaining Morris contributed more to his downfall than losing Marbury.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd say gaining Morris contributed more to his downfall than losing Marbury.

Kevin was a good kid. Just wasn't on same level as Marbury, when considering he was also NYC player of the year.

His departure, along with Gary Saunders, stunted our NYC pipeline for years.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I'd pay $200.00 for this jacket.
IMG_0654.JPG

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Kevin was a good kid. Just wasn't on same level as Marbury, when considering he was also NYC player of the year.

His departure, along with Gary Saunders, stunted our NYC pipeline for years.

He was good though. Suffered from being the man following the legend.

Also, Morris begot Spivey who was decidedly not a good kid (I'll throw an 'allegedly' in there for legal purposes).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He was good though. Suffered from being the man following the legend.

Also, Morris begot Spivey who was decidedly not a good kid (I'll throw an 'allegedly' in there for legal purposes).

It came down to Spivey & Doug Gottlieb for our PG spot that year.

Spivey was allegedly not a good kid and his post GT incidents certainly allege that.

I'd only pay about $150 for Okogie's jacket, but that's because it's about going rate for Nike techfleece on sale, which is what I'd wait for.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Someone made a comment a few pages ago about Adidas boost technology (I believe it was ibeeballin ) and how great of a shoe it is. I bought my first pair yesterday. The ultra boost. Unreal! They're the most comfortable shoe I've owned yet. And I have damn near 100 pair of shoes. UA to me just doesn't have it when it comes to footwear. On the court and field yea, but everyday shoes, it's not close.