Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Please don't!!! However we have folks throwing darts, I mean fellas... we have people on this thread thinking GT will get 8 to 10M per year from Nike, UA or Adidas...

While I understand the value of switching from RA to Nike, Adidas, or UA, that will not solve the equation, we need to recruit players who want to do school, which puts us behind UNC, Duke, Kansas every year!! Doesn't mean we can't overcome the poor CBG years, but it does mean that we need more than just Nike, Adidas, or UA to overcome the CBG years!!

I'll tel you, I didn't read this. I know what it says. We all do.

Let's just wait. I have a pretty good grasp on your point

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
You're having a different discussion though. No one is saying, if we fix the uniforms, that's all we need to do.

And furthermore, IMHO the academic hurdles you allude to aren't as daunting in bball as they are in fball. I think we can dabble in the 1-and-doners without going full-Kentucky or w/e.
One addendum I believe, under apr it matters if guys leave in good standing. Bball rolls over two semesters, so back in the day one and dones would only care about staying eligible in fall and then stop going to class in spring semester. But now coaches have to plea with those kids to finish spring semester.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Please don't!!! However we have folks throwing darts, I mean fellas... we have people on this thread thinking GT will get 8 to 10M per year from Nike, UA or Adidas...

While I understand the value of switching from RA to Nike, Adidas, or UA, that will not solve the equation, we need to recruit players who want to do school, which puts us behind UNC, Duke, Kansas every year!! Doesn't mean we can't overcome the poor CBG years, but it does mean that we need more than just Nike, Adidas, or UA to overcome the CBG years!!

Hey I said 5-7 and I don't know if anyone else said anything more... not having Russell will help. It's not the epitome of being good, it's just taking away one of our flaws. I'm not sure how old you are, but Russell is kind of embarrassing to 18-30ish year olds. I wouldn't get caught in public wearing Russell gear, okay maybe to the gym, but even then idk. Maybe I'm vain for 25, but so are 18-22 year olds. If not having Russell helps us land 3-4 more solid recruits in football and 1-2 more good recruit in basketball it will make a huge difference, and I can easily see that much impact.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Hey I said 5-7 and I don't know if anyone else said anything more... not having Russell will help. It's not the epitome of being good, it's just taking away one of our flaws. I'm not sure how old you are, but Russell is kind of embarrassing to 18-30ish year olds. I wouldn't get caught in public wearing Russell gear, okay maybe to the gym, but even then idk. Maybe I'm vain for 25, but so are 18-22 year olds. If not having Russell helps us land 3-4 more solid recruits in football and 1-2 more good recruit in basketball it will make a huge difference, and I can easily see that much impact.
First others on this board have said way more than 5-7M...

Second I do agree with your point about RA, however I am not so sure we will get 3 to 4 more recruits to commit because of the new deal. I do think kids will not be able to use the excuse when eliminateing GT "they with RA, I wanna play at a school with a swoosh".... They will have to say another reason.

GTFLETCH

Banned

Yes and by switching to a different company we will be honoring those student athletes who have chosen to come to Georgia Tech and do School and sports.. No more will other coaches be able to play on "bashing of our uniforms" as a reason for them not to commit to us.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
First others on this board have said way more than 5-7M...

Second I do agree with your point about RA, however I am not so sure we will get 3 to 4 more recruits to commit because of the new deal. I do think kids will not be able to use the excuse when eliminateing GT "they with RA, I wanna play at a school with a swoosh".... They will have to say another reason.

Given your interpreted lack of influence by the shoe companies I'd like for you to explain to me the Robert Carter Junior situation.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Read this article from last fall. it may do the best job of explaining the influence of AAU and shoe companies in college basketball recruiting and how pervasive it has become. The coaches comments are very enlightening.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...sketball-recruiting-isnt-getting-any-cleaner/

First off, 2 out of every 5 coaches say cheating is worse now than 5 yrs ago, and 86% say same or worse.

"Cheating has become more sophisticated because of shoe companies and agents. I'm not sure how much cash in bags is being dropped off. But people are still getting taken care of. I think 99 percent of the top-tier prospects have agents and/or shoe companies involved."

"I think now you have the sneaker companies and the AAU coaches wheeling and dealing, and the club coaches are getting paid to steer kids. Whether it's an agent or a shoe company behind it, somebody is paying somebody. It's been going on forever. Guys are making money off these kids and where they go to college."

Coaches told us the biggest difference between now and five years ago is that agents and shoe companies are influencing the decisions of elite prospects more than ever. Most coaches insist about 80 percent of the nation's top 10 players, in any given year, are already tied to an agent before they ever even step on a college campus because agents are often deeply connected to some of the top summer programs.

Hypothetically speaking, of course, an agent might guide a prospect over which he has influence to a school that employs a coach he trusts with the understanding that the coach will protect the asset. Meantime, it's rarely a coincidence when a prospect who spends his summers playing for a Nike-funded team ends up on visits to Nike-sponsored schools. Same goes for kids with Under Armour connections. Same goes for kids tied to Adidas.

Switching from Russell doesn't solve all of our problems, but it takes away one of our weaknesses. Every school has positives and negatives, but you don't need to add to that by being the only P5 school that has a contract with a company that has no play in college basketball recruiting. I think if GT's coaches had their way they would likely want Nike - as they are the deepest of the 3 shoe companies in the AAU scene. But they will be happy with anything that is not Russell.

Second candid coaches article on which shoe company ranks where. Alot of interesting coaches comments in this one.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-influence-in-college-basketball-than-adidas/

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
One addendum I believe, under apr it matters if guys leave in good standing. Bball rolls over two semesters, so back in the day one and dones would only care about staying eligible in fall and then stop going to class in spring semester. But now coaches have to plea with those kids to finish spring semester.

That's old news. IIUC very few of those kids leave in bad standing. It appears coaches have successfully folded that into the recruitment. IOW, non-issue. 'Like' that @GTFLETCH .

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Switching from Russell doesn't solve all of our problems, but it takes away one of our weaknesses. Every school has positives and negatives, but you don't need to add to that by being the only P5 school that has a contract with a company that has no play in college basketball recruiting. I think if GT's coaches had their way they would likely want Nike - as they are the deepest of the 3 shoe companies in the AAU scene. But they will be happy with anything that is not Russell.

Preach.

All due respect, if anyone doesn't think this has an impact on recruiting, you have to do your research.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree, would not spend a dime on anything russell. Wouldnt wana be seen in it either

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't care what people think of the maker of my clothes. It's all about fit. I actually have a woven GT 1/4 zip by RA on the way that I ordered 2 nights ago. We will see how it goes.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Im a big Nike guy, but i feel like they arent rlly an option so i say whoever of Adidas/UA offer most money

GTFLETCH

Banned
80 percent of the nation's top 10 players, (8 out of 10) in any given year, are already tied to an agent before they ever even step on a college campus because agents are often deeply connected to some of the top summer programs..

So I think Georgia Tech is not trying to recruit a top ten player who is tied to an agent as that player would probably not want to show up to class.... Thus switching to Nike/UA/Adidas will not help us with what this article is talking about anyway...

However by switching from RA to Nike/UA/Adidas it will take away a negative that students who commit to GT have to listen to.

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We tried to recruit 2 top 10 kids in the class of 2017 - Wendell Carter and Collin Sexton.
We are still recruiting Top 25 MJ Walker (who is a UA kid).

GT will recruit some of these kids. Not all of them, but they will pick some they think they have a chance with, especially local kids.

GTFLETCH

Banned

I do see the point and if we come to the place were all three companies are offering around the same $$ amount we should go with Nike, however between Nike, Adidas, and UA we need to take the one that is offering the most $$ per year until Todd can shake the donor tree a little more!

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
So I think Georgia Tech is not trying to recruit a top ten player who is tied to an agent as that player would probably not want to show up to class.... Thus switching to Nike/UA/Adidas will not help us with what this article is talking about anyway...

However by switching from RA to Nike/UA/Adidas it will take away a negative that students who commit to GT have to listen to.

Not sure if you are beginning to agree or just don't want to admit it makes a difference. But it's clear that someone other than Russell will help in at least a small way. Russell is backing off anyway so whoever we go with will provide an opportunity for some excitement that can't help but be positive.