Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
IMG_0573.JPG

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Honestly. They can't fit worse than champion tshirts

Champion sweats are great.
Tshirts are about 8 inches short, ride up the back, collar is about 2x too big. It's like they only employ UGA engineers and designers

GTFLETCH

Banned
FWIW, the basketball staff would be opposed to any RA deal regardless of the money amount because it is a big negative in basketball recruiting.

Does anyone really think that changing to Nike, Adidas or UA will necessarily get us better recruits or get recruits to come to Georgia Tech?? GT has been with Russell Athletic since 1992.... I can list all of the Basketball players who have come to GT from 1992 to present and that did not seem to stop them....

I think that by switching brands it will decrease the "laughing factor" amongest fans that see Nike, Adidas and UA as a better product. However I do not see how going to Nike/UA or Adidas will increase basketball recruiting. I think people may be disappointed in the "new deal" if they think somehow we will land better recruiting classes.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone really think that changing to Nike or UA will necessarily get us better recruits or get recruits to come to Georgia Tech?? Geoegia Tech has been with Russell Athletic since 1992.... I can list all of the Basketball players who have come to GT from 1992 to present....

I think thatby switching brands it will decrease the "laughing factor" amongest fans that see Nike, Adidas and UA as a better product. However I do not see how going to Nike will increase basketball recruiting. I think people may be disappointed in the "new deal" if they think somehow we will land better recruiting classes.

I won't rehash this entire thread, but you simply underestimate the power of branding on these kids. And we need every advantage we can get. Yes, it will help.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The new contract will help with basketball recruiting.
The three major brands - Nike, UA, and Adidas run almost all the major AAU programs and compared to even 10 yrs ago they exert alot more influence on where kids go. Especially the top kids who they would prefer to go to a school that they have a deal with (doesn't always happen - but how do you think Diamond Stone ignored 2 home state schools and ended up at MD - it wasn't by accident).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The three major brands - Nike, UA, and Adidas run almost all the major AAU programs and compared to even 10 yrs ago they exert alot more influence on where kids go. Especially the top kids who they would prefer to go to a school that they have a deal with (doesn't always happen - but how do you think Diamond Stone ignored 2 home state schools and ended up at MD - it wasn't by accident).

Yeah, it's really gotten out of hand IMHO. Unfortunately, you gotta play the game or end up swimming one-handed upstream a la Fox and the dogs. Sure, you can make it but why hamstring yourself.

GTFLETCH

Banned

So why is Boston College so bad?? Why is Washington State so bad?? I mean if being associated with Nike, UA or Adidas is all it takes?? I think there is a lot more that goes into it!!!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So why is Boston College so bad?? Why is Washington State so bad?? I mean if being associated with Nike, UA or Adidas is all it takes?? I think there is a lot more that goes into it!!!

Obviously there is more to it than just the apparel company but it is a big piece of the game now.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I'm going to start a new thread titled "WHY DID WE EVER LEAVE RA?!"
Please don't!!! However we have folks throwing darts, I mean fellas... we have people on this thread thinking GT will get 8 to 10M per year from Nike, UA or Adidas...

While I understand the value of switching from RA to Nike, Adidas, or UA, that will not solve the equation, we need to recruit players who want to do school, which puts us behind UNC, Duke, Kansas every year!! Doesn't mean we can't overcome the poor CBG years, but it does mean that we need more than just Nike, Adidas, or UA to overcome the CBG years!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Please don't!!! However we have folks throwing darts, I mean fellas... we have people on this thread thinking GT will get 8 to 10M per year from Nike, UA or Adidas...

While I understand the value of switching from RA to Nike, Adidas, or UA, that will not solve the equation, we need to recruit players who want to do school, which puts us behind UNC, Duke, Kansas every year!! Doesn't mean we can't overcome the poor CBG years, but it does mean that we need more than just Nike, Adidas, or UA to overcome the CBG years!!

You're having a different discussion though. No one is saying, if we fix the uniforms, that's all we need to do.

And furthermore, IMHO the academic hurdles you allude to aren't as daunting in bball as they are in fball. I think we can dabble in the 1-and-doners without going full-Kentucky or w/e.

GTFLETCH

Banned
You're having a different discussion though. No one is saying, if we fix the uniforms, that's all we need to do.

And furthermore, IMHO the academic hurdles you allude to aren't as daunting in bball as they are in fball. I think we can dabble in the 1-and-doners without going full-Kentucky or w/e.
Then why haven't we???