Why did Juanyeh Thomas fall down ...

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
after he scooped up Miami’s fumbled punt near the goal line?

All Juanyeh had to do was waltz into the end zone for an easy touchdown!

I just couldn’t believe he quickly fell — or “slid down” — after securing the ball. He wasn’t touched.

Can anyone explain this one play? Our team ended up kicking a field goal after this happened.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Unless the rule has changed, the ball cannot be advanced on a muffed punt.
Muffed punt - Wikipedia
In the case of a fumble, the ball is live and can be returned by the team that recovers the ball. In the case of a muffed punt, it is possible for the punting team to recover the ball and continue the drive, but at least in NCAA and NFL rules, they cannot advance the ball on that same play.

Didn't find the official rule at first glance but someone can confirm.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
The punt was muffed at the 10. Even if Juanyeh had scooped the ball up inside the goal line, it still would not have counted as a touchdown anyway, according to the rule. Or is that right?? I’m a bit confused in exactly where the ball should be spotted in this scenario.

Did Juanyeh pick up the ball on the 10? If so, then maybe that’s why the ball was spotted there.

Will need to watch replay to confirm.

Last edited:
The punt was muffed at the 10. Even if Juanyeh had scooped the ball up inside the goal line, it still would not have counted as a touchdown anyway, according to the rule. Or is that right?? I’m a bit confused in exactly where the ball should be spotted in this scenario.

Did Juanyeh pick up the ball on the 10? If so, then maybe that’s why the ball was spotted there.

Will need to watch replay to confirm.
I have watched the replay, and yes, he picked it up on the 10 (looked closer to the 11, actually). So apparently, based on what others are saying, that's why it was spotted there. He slid down on about the 5.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
OK, thanks! Soooo, I guess if the ball had happened to bounce all the way back into the end zone and Juanyeh had happened to pick up the ball there, it would have been ruled a touchdown.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A little speculation on my part but maybe he also wasn’t 100% sure if it was touched. So going down ensures worst case it would be around the 5 for Miami instead of a touch back if he had run into the end zone.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That rule has existed for many, many years, in fact, maybe for decades and decades. I would have thought everyone knew muffed punts could not be advanced once the possession is made. Anyway, another great reason for sites like this, to educate and amaze. :)
But it’s ok to advance muffed punts on the front end (dropped snaps, blocked punts, snaps over head of punter, etc...). Weird.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Interesting, I thought the fair catch was part of it. I did not know it was for any muffed punt
Cannot advance a muffed punt but if possession is obtained (which it was not) you can advance it. JT downed it so there would be no opportunity for him to turn it over since he had obtained possession. Note how White downed the 2014 UGA interception to win the game. He went down so there was no opportunity for him to fumble it back to UGA. Very smart play by both players who obviously knew the rules and the in the moment circumstances.