Why Did Georgia Tech Football Leave the SEC?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for a remarkable compilation of links regarding Tech and the SEC. After reading all of them, and when the dust all settles, regardless of what one may think of the decision, and what history shows, and his subsequent career as the athletic director -- mixed results, but overall not anything outstanding -- Dodd's character was unassailable, and his coaching career almost unequaled. Regardless of one's opinion on today's coaching, or that of the recent past, stacked up against Dodd it is a daunting position for any coach. Thanks for compiling all this. Particularly in times like this, we need reminders that once we had heroic and principled men. It brings hope.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I noticed two things there: first, there was no mention of the Darwin Holt hit on Chick Granning, and two, Bama sure ran the option a lot.
I think the Bear tried to avoid that whole controversy since at about the same time there was another situation with UGAG AD Wallace Butts and Look Magazine where Look Magazine said that Wallace Butts told Bear Bryant all of UGAG's plays going into the 1961 Alabama-UGAG game which Alabama won 32-6.

I think the Bear tried to avoid that whole controversy since at about the same time there was another situation with UGAG AD Wallace Butts and Look Magazine where Look Magazine said that Wallace Butts told Bear Bryant all of UGAG's plays going into the 1961 Alabama-UGAG game which Alabama won 32-6.
Actually Bear's comments after the game were eseentially, no big deal.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Bear Bryant thought it was just another play and that the Atlanta press was trying to destroy Darwin Holt who he thought was a good kid:rolleyes:
In the scheme of things Holt probably was a good kid. I have no idea what happened in his later life, but in this instance he was just playing the way he was taught to play. Bryant's reputation was not unearned.