Whose the coach of the lb?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have real issues with lb play and we have a very talented lb recruit.

From watching the sideline huddles believe that Andy Mc has moved from lb coach 3 years ago, secondary coach 2 years ago and by end of last year to safety coach. That's on twitter handle.

I really don't know who has handled lb coaching last year and what the plan is for 17. Is roof going to do that and dc?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

From watching the sideline huddles believe that Andy Mc has moved from lb coach 3 years ago, secondary coach 2 years ago and by end of last year to safety coach. That's on twitter handle.

I really don't know who has handled lb coaching last year and what the plan is for 17. Is roof going to do that and dc?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer

Yes

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Is is CTR

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Roof and MC switched last year I believe. I think roof was safety coach and MC was LB untill last year. and imo you can tell I think they should switch back jmo.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't Roof an All American linebacker in his day?
I don't know about All American but when he hit people they generally went backwards on the way to going down. He was a founding member of the Black Watch defense and between him, Pat Swilling, Mark Hogan, Jim Anderson, and that dude that played rover (Can't remember his name but he always played like his hair was on fire) running or having the football against that crowd was like kicking over a fire ant mound. Not likely to be a pleasant experience to say the least.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't know about All American but when he hit people they generally went backwards on the way to going down. He was a founding member of the Black Watch defense and between him, Pat Swilling, Mark Hogan, Jim Anderson, and that dude that played rover (Can't remember his name but he always played like his hair was on fire) running or having the football against that crowd was like kicking over a fire ant mound. Not likely to be a pleasant experience to say the least.

In the Tennessee game, he practically was the defense--he played sideline to sideline. Thought Johnny Majors was going to take him out of the game personally

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Edit: Cleve Pounds was the player whose name escaped me. Props to Ken Parker, Ivery Lee, Glynn Spencer and Donnie Chisom among others as well. Tough teams that were outstanding in their day. Memorable wins over Georgia and Michigan State in the All America Bowl as well as a fantastic game against Tennessee.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In big games seems like we need roof to be making overall adjustments to defense verses being a position coach while offense is on field. Will see in fall. Go jackets.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Cleve Pounds was one of the hardest hitters I ever saw at Tech. He really brought it to the runner. He tackled at full speed and it jarred the runner backwards. Was a sight to see 2 good athletes hitting head-on at full speed. He usually won the encounter.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
"Tech's 1984–1985 teams featured the "Black Watch" defense. The Black Watch defense was created by defensive coordinator Don Lindsey and featured linebackers Ted Roof and Jim Anderson, safety Mark Hogan, and lineman Pat Swilling.[38][39] The elite defensive players were awarded black stripes down the center of their helmets and black GT emblems on the side of their helmets.[39] Curry's leadership and ability to build a winning program sparked interest from the Crimson Tide and Alabama hired Curry away from Tech in 1986. After Curry's departure, Tech hired the talented Maryland Terrapins Coach Bobby Ross, who departed a Maryland athletic program in turmoil after the Len Bias tragedy."

Link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_football

I have been hoping that the D could find something similar to the vaunted 'Black Watch D' to begin identifying themselves with. Our O very easily builds identities each season since CPJ has been here and we see that with things like 'The Perfect Option', etc. The D however really NEVER gets an identity as a whole, it is mainly a focus upon individuals and their efforts. If we want to win the ACC and be in the discussion for an NC both the O and the D need identities IMO. In places like Bama or other Blue Chip factory programs, the program itself does this or due to the high amount of talent on the roster from which each player gets and gives the needed support. For us it is different because we have NEITHER of these aspects. So that is the challenge in my eyes that could truly unite the D and the team.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
"Tech's 1984–1985 teams featured the "Black Watch" defense. The Black Watch defense was created by defensive coordinator Don Lindsey and featured linebackers Ted Roof and Jim Anderson, safety Mark Hogan, and lineman Pat Swilling.[38][39] The elite defensive players were awarded black stripes down the center of their helmets and black GT emblems on the side of their helmets.[39] Curry's leadership and ability to build a winning program sparked interest from the Crimson Tide and Alabama hired Curry away from Tech in 1986. After Curry's departure, Tech hired the talented Maryland Terrapins Coach Bobby Ross, who departed a Maryland athletic program in turmoil after the Len Bias tragedy."

Link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_football

I have been hoping that the D could find something similar to the vaunted 'Black Watch D' to begin identifying themselves with. Our O very easily builds identities each season since CPJ has been here and we see that with things like 'The Perfect Option', etc. The D however really NEVER gets an identity as a whole, it is mainly a focus upon individuals and their efforts. If we want to win the ACC and be in the discussion for an NC both the O and the D need identities IMO. In places like Bama or other Blue Chip factory programs, the program itself does this or due to the high amount of talent on the roster from which each player gets and gives the needed support. For us it is different because we have NEITHER of these aspects. So that is the challenge in my eyes that could truly unite the D and the team.
The Black Watch was a good idea only because we had the players that fit the bill. It didn't last when those players left.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
The Black Watch was a good idea only because we had the players that fit the bill. It didn't last when those players left.

@dressedcheeseside, I agree with your statement. If the athletes are not in the program an idea or a nickname will wither on the vine and that definitely happened from 86-89. Do you feel the right level and kind of athletes are coming to the program now though to support an idea like that for the D?
Just feel for this team to compete it needs an identity on the D.