Who's next???

Who is the next GT player to announce he's returning?

• José

Votes: 44 45.4%
  • Michael

Votes: 49 50.5%
  • Moses

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I mean it seems like Moses will be the last one to announce.

I was torn between Devoe and Jose, but I think there may be people in Devoe's ear telling him that he is better than what he has gotten from our fanbase and the league. I can't say I disagree with those people. People on here love to dog him and it seems like our fans like to run their mouths about how he doesn't "look bought in" or "Drives too frequently" or "Doesn't shoot enough" or whatever the next imagined chink in his armor is.

I hope they all come back, we win the whole thing next season and they all sign big honking contracts in the NBA after they accomplish everything they have dreamed of.

Let's GOOOOO!!!!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO Mike and Jose are waiting on different things. I think Mike probably expects to be back this year and is more doing just due diligence. IMO you don't put out the statement that he did if you are expecting news that will lead you to leave. Just my take. I don't think what Jose gets back from the NBA will really change much for him. I think he's just getting information. I could really see him waiting until after Moses makes a decision, and that could be the tipping point. If Moses says he wants to come back then based on Jose's personality I think it would be hard for Jose to walk away and not do what he can to make sure Moses gets that opportunity that he missed this year. So I would expect Mike's decision before Jose's.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
IMO Mike and Jose are waiting on different things. I think Mike probably expects to be back this year and is more doing just due diligence. IMO you don't put out the statement that he did if you are expecting news that will lead you to leave. Just my take. I don't think what Jose gets back from the NBA will really change much for him. I think he's just getting information. I could really see him waiting until after Moses makes a decision, and that could be the tipping point. If Moses says he wants to come back then based on Jose's personality I think it would be hard for Jose to walk away and not do what he can to make sure Moses gets that opportunity that he missed this year. So I would expect Mike's decision before Jose's.
See now you have gone and got me conflicted with my vote. Haha, we shall see, lets just hope they all come back in whatever order they want.

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
Moses will take the longest to decide. I think he waits until the last possibly day to decide.

Michael will decide once he hears from the NBA in the next week or two.

I think with Jose having a child he may look overseas. He will already have his Ga Tech degree. If the NBA doesn't work for him and the overseas money isn't coming then he returns.

Deleted member 2897

We might finally play more than 7 people next year! One less thing to hear complaining about. 🤣

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I would love for us to play 10 guys per game similar to FSU. We will have the players to do so now.

Going 10 deep is nearly impossible in a meaningful way, and even FSU doesn't do that. They went about 9 deep last year.

IMO I doubt we would often go more than 7 or 8 deep next year regardless but I could see those 7 or 8 coming from a group of 9.

Jose, Mike, Usher, Moses will play for sure if they are all back. IMO Deebo likely will as well. Too good a fit with that group to not. I think Moore would likely play most games as well simply because of his versatility being able to come in when any of Mike, Deebo, or Ush comes out. Otherwise, I could see Kyle, Bubba, and the best big also see fairly consistent play depending on what the match up needs.

slugboy

Staff member
If everyone returns, you have (ok, this isn’t that accurate just looking at it, but it’s a starting point...)
  1. PG: Jose, Tristan Maxwell, Kyle Sturdivant, Bubba Parham
  2. SG: Devoe, Bubba Parham, Sturdivant, Maxwell, Dallan Coleman?, Miles Kelly?
  3. G/F: Usher, Khalid, Bubba, Jalon Moore, Kelly?, Coleman?
  4. PF: Moses, Khalid, Howard, Meka, Usher, Jalon Moore?
  5. C: Howard, Saba, Moses, ??Meka??
I’m assuming Moses moves into his natural “4” for part of the time, but we could see him at the 5 most of the time and Usher or Khalid at the 4 like this year.

Even lacking a grad transfer center, we have a shot at getting three players time at the 5. I think Meka is probably too small right now for the 5.

Moses is going to get his minutes, but we might actually give him two or three minutes of rest in a half. The main factors limiting how deep we go on the bench are chemistry and the +/- on the court (you can give up a little offense if you make up for it on defense, but you gotta make up for it in defense or rebounds).

I’m hoping that Saba and Howard find 5 minutes each, at least, with more in the early season.

Edit: stupid spellcheck

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If everyone returns, you have (ok, this isn’t that accurate just looking at it, but it’s a starting point...)
  1. PG: Jose, Tristan Maxwell, Kyle Sturdivant, Bubba Parham
  2. SG: Devoe, Bubba Parham, Sturdivant, Maxwell, Dallan Coleman?, Miles Kelly?
  3. G/F: Usher, Khalid, Bubba, Jalon Moore, Kelly?, Coleman?
  4. PF: Moses, Khalid, Howard, Meka, Usher, Jalon Moore?
  5. C: Howard, Saba, Moses, ??Meka??
I’m assuming Moses moves into his natural “4” for part of the time, but we could see him at the 5 most of the time and Usher or Khalid at the 4 like this year.

Even lacking a grad transfer center, we have a shot at getting three players time at the 5. I think Meka is probably too small right now for the 5.

Moses is going to get his minutes, but we might actually give him two or three minutes of rest in a half. The main factors limiting how deep we go on the bench are chemistry and the +/- on the court (you can give up a little offense if you make up for it on defense, but you gotta make up for it in defense or rebounds).

I’m hoping that Saba and Howard find 5 minutes each, at least, with more in the early season.

Edit: stupid spellcheck
I suspect if everyone comes back we will lose someone else. People want to play.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I suspect if everyone comes back we will lose someone else. People want to play.

I am preparing myself for that. However when I think who would likely leave I'm not coming up with anyone. If anyone had just a disagreement with the staff in terms of direction I would have thought they already would have entered the portal.

Kyle could leave with him not getting the time he probably envisioned coming in if both Bubba and Jose return. That being said, he would still pretty much be guaranteed the starting spot after next year and have two years left.

Moore could to try and play a bigger role, but overall, to really get a more significant role he'd have to improve offensively, and if he does that he's in a good position now.

Meka/Maxwell could with less time available next year than they were expecting, but with both coming off injuries and the playing time that would look to be available after next year it wouldn't make much sense. They would almost certainly have to go down a level and with the number of players in the portal it would be hard for them to find a great spot.

Howard/Saba could, but like the others I'm not sure why they would. They'd have to go down a level, and there would still be plenty of time after next year for both. Maybe if one sees the other as being clearly ahead, but I think that would more likely happen after next year than this one.

DD - well. yeah.

GT_EE78

Banned
Kessler
with only one spot to give the transfer center could go fast.
I'm sure CJP would love the option to play Jordan/Moses at either 3/4 or 4/5

Moses will take the longest to decide. I think he waits until the last possibly day to decide.

Michael will decide once he hears from the NBA in the next week or two.

I think with Jose having a child he may look overseas. He will already have his Ga Tech degree. If the NBA doesn't work for him and the overseas money isn't coming then he returns.
Jose will almost have to look overseas, but I am thinking that his gf will not be all that excited about taking their infant child and leaving the country.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope Josh works on one key thing. Being able to better manage an 8+ player rotation. I think that’s the wave of the sport, particularly for a “get old, stay old” philosophy. He likes to play 7, but that’s a glaring oversight and contradictory approach to a program he’s trying to build IMO. You’ve got to encourage new recruits they can get some time, and also give them some time to build up some reps. Also, if Meka would not have been injured, and Maxwell would have been ready, he could have been 8-10 players deep. He said he doesn’t know how Leonard Hamilton does it. Pastner is young enough to add this ability to his coaching skill set - in-game management of 8-10 players. C’mon, Josh! You’re gonna have that much talent in uniform this year!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am preparing myself for that. However when I think who would likely leave I'm not coming up with anyone. If anyone had just a disagreement with the staff in terms of direction I would have thought they already would have entered the portal.

Kyle could leave with him not getting the time he probably envisioned coming in if both Bubba and Jose return. That being said, he would still pretty much be guaranteed the starting spot after next year and have two years left.

Moore could to try and play a bigger role, but overall, to really get a more significant role he'd have to improve offensively, and if he does that he's in a good position now.

Meka/Maxwell could with less time available next year than they were expecting, but with both coming off injuries and the playing time that would look to be available after next year it wouldn't make much sense. They would almost certainly have to go down a level and with the number of players in the portal it would be hard for them to find a great spot.

Howard/Saba could, but like the others I'm not sure why they would. They'd have to go down a level, and there would still be plenty of time after next year for both. Maybe if one sees the other as being clearly ahead, but I think that would more likely happen after next year than this one.

DD - well. yeah.
We are still a long ways from this outcome but if we want to play the game here would be my thoughts.

If everyone returns here is who I would think might be most likely to transfer.

Maxwell might be my #1. It sounds like he is in a very similar place as Moses at the end of his FR year. The staff sees the huge potential, but need him to commit to the work to get there in at a college level. So does he want to or not and is he willing to wait another year and really work without likely much if any court time.

Next would probably be Moore. If everyone came back and the FR coming in I could see his role reduced a little. He would still be likely to get playing time but he has gone from being a likely starter as a Sr to reserve min. He may decide he wants to look elsewhere where he could have a bigger role. On the other side if he is close to graduating it may be worthwhile to stick it out

Saba might be third just because like Meka/Howard his min would be negatively impacted if both Moses and Usher come back. The other factor though is he has a strong relationship with the coaching staff and is from overseas, so making a change right now may not be something that is comfortable.

For Meka it is his hometown school. He has a good friend on the team as a walk-on. Also, Pastner has said he would have played if not injured so that positive reinforcement might be enough,

Howard I would be surprised to see leave. He was getting at least some min at the end of the year and would likely think he might earn more next year. He is local and he has already used his free transfer, so if he left he would have to sit a year.

DD - I think he stays. One more year and he probably has a GT degree.

Let's just hope we end up in the situation where we actually have to consider these things. Still have 3 players who have to decide to return to make this a real talking issue.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I hope Josh works on one key thing. Being able to better manage an 8+ player rotation. I think that’s the wave of the sport, particularly for a “get old, stay old” philosophy. He likes to play 7, but that’s a glaring oversight and contradictory approach to a program he’s trying to build IM

True 9 man rotations aren't going to happen. The minutes just aren't there and if you don't believe me go back through FSU's games, in particular the games that were closer or their losses (more on this in a sec). They may have had 9 or even 10 players they felt comfortable going to, but they usually had 8 man rotations and sometimes less. The reality is while players want to play, that's not just true of young players. Starters want to play big time minutes. It's a balancing act and 9 and 10 man rotations just aren't going to be sustainable.

IMO people greatly overexaggerate what the get old stay old philosophy means. It doesn't mean always having 3 seniors or 5 upperclassmen. It means consistently having a core of uperclassmen to lean on. Sometimes that may just be 3 starters and the rest of the rotation is sophs and freshman. But if those 3 upperclassmen are playing 30+ minutes, then you are still old, at least as far as the philosophy goes. And you can maintain that even with a 7 man rotation.

The reality though is that Pastner is doing a big rebuilding job. Yes, even in year 5 there are still aspects that he is building up. One of those is the fact that winning begets winning and that is especially true of depth. For two major reasons, at least, that I can see. One is that it's a lot easier to look like a deep team when you win every other game by 15+. You can play 7 or 8 in more competitive games and then go 9-10 in games you are in no danger of losing after the half. This year we rarely had those opportunities, and after the start of the year the staff was probably gun shy about going deeper in the bench early (especially with Meka and Maxwell being hurt). The second, and the one that is just starting to be a factor for us hopefully, is that it's a lot easier to convince players to have development years where they don't play big roles if they believe they will be competing for championships when their time comes. That's even more true if you can bring in players when they expect that to be the case so they aren't shocked or as likely to be frustrated with low minutes.