Who'd Volunteer for This?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Talk about a class organization.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...h-butch-jones-called-player-traitor/80851232/

So apparently a Vol player stepped up and helped a young female acquaintance who had just been sexually assaulted (allegedly). Stand up guy, right? Not if your name is Butch Jones and the alleged perp is another Vol player.

University of Tennessee football coachButch Jones told one of his players he “betrayed the team” after the wide receiver helped a woman who said she was raped by two other football players, according to anew legal filing in a sweeping lawsuit filed by six women against Tennessee.

IIUC, shortly after that, the player was attacked on 2 seperate occassions to the point where Jones had to instruct the team to leave him alone.

Orta later told police that where he came from, “people got shot” for such betrayals, according to the lawsuit. Williams also told police Orta put a “hit” out on Bowles for his role in helping the alleged victim, according to the lawsuit, which cited a Knoxville Police Department incident report.

Wait, so the guy told police "people got shot" for this? Smdh.

Kid ultimately transferred. I hope all the guilty parties get what's coming to them.

How can any parent justify entrusting their son to this bunch?

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
...that's not including how stand up Butch Jones is with his recruiting commits. Tadarryl Marshall can vouch for Butch Jones.

Seriously, why any SA would want to go to UT right now is beyond me.

This is what I was thinking as I read that. My favorite quote:

Butch Jones said:
"I will fight all of these false attacks on my character, and I know that once this process has been completed, my reputation will be affirmed."

Isn't that what he should be worried most about?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
How could you send your daughter there? Unfortunately, this is par for the course for Tennessee. It's called the Fulmer Cup for a reason.

I wouldn't feel good about my son or daughter going there. What happens if your son runs afoul of a football player? He'd be at the mercy of a big orange gang with a blank check from leadership to mete out justice as they see fit apparently.

In fairness to TN (as if they deserve fairness), this is probably not terribly different on many major campuses. However, TN's leadership appears to be handling this as poorly as possible. Jones has already garnered a less-than-stellar rep as it is (as @GTJackets alludes to), adding his (alleged) handling of this situation on top of that rep is just too much. How can you justify that being the face of your university?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think the scariest thing is the idea that they'd rather beat up a guy then help a girl who was abused/raped.

Yep, shows what they're made of. Those are the types of guys that coach has assembled.

What's even scarier is the people on Facebook who are expressing support for UT and this coach. It's sad to read the comments - sadder still are the comments from women.

Indeed.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yep, shows what they're made of. Those are the types of guys that coach has assembled.

Indeed.

I agree with this, but I think that there's such a thing as right and wrong. On the flip side, you could say that he's doing what he thinks is best for him and his family (i.e. the football team).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree with this, but I think that there's such a thing as right and wrong. On the flip side, you could say that he's doing what he thinks is best for him and his family (i.e. the football team).

I guess. On the other flip side, you could say him getting rid of bad guys could be best for his 'family'.

Man what's the deal with the state of Tennessee. Between this scandal and all that's happened at Vandy over the last few years (accented by the "We don't need your permission" slogan, how tone deaf can you be), I wouldn't pass through that state if I were a woman.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man what's the deal with the state of Tennessee. Between this scandal and all that's happened at Vandy over the last few years (accented by the "We don't need your permission" slogan, how tone deaf can you be), I wouldn't pass through that state if I were a woman.

It's a shame. Chattanooga is a really nice little city, and Nashville is really booming and a great place to visit.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I guess. On the other flip side, you could say him getting rid of bad guys could be best for his 'family'.

Fwiw, I don't think it's the state of Tennessee as much as it is the state of SEC.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure how much more of this Butch can survive.

http://wate.com/2016/03/30/coach-bu...e-bowles-the-day-a-j-johnson-accused-of-rape/

Hart also said that coaches and staff don’t interact with the investigative process. Instead, there is one liaison who handles communication. However, the amended lawsuit also adds that University of Tennessee Chancellor Jimmy Cheek asks to be briefed on case facts before he appoints hearing judges, while accusing administrators and the athletic department of covering up sexual assaults to preserve player eligibility.

However, the 46 phone calls Coach Butch Jones made directly after the rape was reported paint a much different picture. They show a coach that is directly involved in the investigative process and not stepping back to let a school liaison handle communication.

http://deadspin.com/report-cops-cal...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
One thing the records do, per the Tennesseean, is line up with the timeline given by former player Drae Bowles, who said Jones called him a traitor andlater said he was beaten up by fellow players for helping the woman. But they also show multiple calls between Jones and law enforcement, including the police chief, hours before police searched the apartment where the woman said she was raped, the Tennesseean reports.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff