Who was the best DC in Coach Johnson’s tenure?

Who was the best DC in Coach Johnson’s tenure?

• Dave Wommack

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Al Groh

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Ted Roof

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Nate Woody

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Charles Kelly

Votes: 39 44.3%

• Total voters

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I believe the guy to finish with the best DFEI was CTR in 2015. Finished at #61.

The vaunted 2008 defense that was stacked with NFL players finished at 71 DFEI

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Womack and Roof had their years. 08 for Wommack, 13 and 14 for Roof. Groh was terrible, Kelly was probably the best but was DC for only half of the season, and Woody wasn't awesome, but okay, and he was only here for one year.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Dave Wommack
Wommack spent the 2008 and 2009 seasons as defensive coordinator at Georgia Tech, helping lead the Yellow Jackets to the 2009 ACC Championship and a trip to the Orange Bowl. Georgia Tech’s defense was ranked No. 28 in the nation his first year at the school when the Yellow Jackets were ACC Coastal Division co-champions and appeared in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. He coached three defensive players that went on to play in the NFL, including defensive back Morgan Burnett, defensive end Derrick Morgan and defensive lineman Michael Johnson.

Al Groh
Groh to switch Georgia Tech from a 4-3 to 3-4 alignment, and the transition has been ragged, even though the Yellow Jackets start nine upperclassmen on defense. Fired during the 2012 season when the Yellow Jackets had one of the nation's worst-ranked defenses — 89th in points allowed (30.2), 90th in total defense (431 yards per game) and 103rd in third-down efficiency.

Ted Roof
A four-year letterwinner and three-year starter at linebacker for head coach Bill Curry at Georgia Tech from 1982-85. He was named freshman All-American in 1982, was a first-team all-ACC honoree as a senior in 1985 and remains one of the school’s all-time leading tacklers with 417 career stops, which still ranks seventh in program history. Had a up and down five-year tenure at Tech as DC. During the five years at Georgia Tech, the Yellow Jackets showed marked defensive improvement, ranking third in the ACC in 2017 in total defense versus ACC competition. The Jackets ranked second in the league in third down defense vs. league competition (11th in the FBS), and 17th nationally in first downs allowed. In 2015, Tech ranked sixth nationally in fewest first downs allowed and fielded the nation’s most-improved third-down defense. Ranked sixth nationally in fewest first downs allowed and fielding the nation’s most-improved third-down defense in 2015; Forced 29 turnovers (on an NCAA Division I FBS-best 26 percent of their opponents’ possessions) in 2014; Converted 21 of the 29 takeaways in 2014 into points, including a school- record six defensive touchdowns; In the past five years, his defense has boasted nine all-ACC selections and four NFL draft picks.

Nate Woody
It’s no secret that tackling has been an issue for Tech this year. The two big areas where the defense has improved from last year is in forcing turnovers and in swarming to the ball.

Charles Kelly
He was elevated to defensive coordinator for the Yellow Jackets in the sixth game of the 2012 season when Georgia Tech had a 2-4 record. Kelly helped GT finish out the season 5-3, including a Sun Bowl victory over Southern California where Kelly’s defense held the high-powered Trojans’ offense to just 205 yards and seven points. In 2011, Kelly’s defensive backs led a pass defense that finished No. 2 in the ACC. In 2009, Kelly’s unit helped Georgia Tech win the ACC Championship and go to the Orange Bowl, finishing 11-3. Kelly served as the Yellow Jackets’ special teams coordinator in 2006 and 2007, leading GT’s kick return defense to No. 2 in the country in 2007. Kelly coached punter Durant Brooks to the Ray Guy Award in 2007.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Charles Kelly wasn't here long enough as a DC to judge, but he was successful for a game. Womack was the most successful at getting pressure on the QB, but only while he had the horses on the DL. Once he lost that DL with Walker, Richard, Johnson, Morgan, et al. he didn't show as well.

So, I need a choice, NONE OF THE ABOVE added to the list.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Womack and Roof had their years. 08 for Wommack, 13 and 14 for Roof. Groh was terrible, Kelly was probably the best but was DC for only half of the season, and Woody wasn't awesome, but okay, and he was only here for one year.

Statistically, 2015 was Roof's best year. If we had half our usual offense that year, we beat UGA at home.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Statistically, 2015 was Roof's best year. If we had half our usual offense that year, we beat UGA at home.
Oh absolutely, that ugag team was almost as miserable as ours was. A normal CPJ offense wins that game by 20+. I just thought it was hard to include the D of a 3-9 team, and I still have nightmares from the UNC game that year, but they were a decent unit.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Pretty Good Look and Podcast with Coach Johnson (Summer 2016 when AD TStan was hired)
Link
https://www.myajc.com/blog/jeff-sch...nish-better-than-dogs/TP8OaxmaL2RTxxbbXpUwCO/

Podcast Link (Zack Kline & Jeff Schultz)
http://od-cmg.streamguys1.com/atlan...342__b604ce11853d85441c859bd183d935c5c3b2d950

Talks about the DC
On Dave W... Great In 08, in 2009 the Kids complained about him... So CPJ offered to keep him on staff but change him to position Coach.. He left after that

On Al Groh... Al is a Brillant mind, who didn't have all day to teach the kids his scheme... When it was not working CPJ tried to suggest some things however Coach Groh would not have it... He was locked in his ways

Charles Kelly-
CPJ Loves him.... Had he not gotten the FSU DC job, He would have been the DC...

Ted Roof-
Going into 2016... CPJ liked CTR thought he was doing a good job...

Last edited:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
In all fairness to these guys, I think one of the narratives of the Johnson years has to be the impact his unique offense had on the defense. There are some decent coaches on that list that have had a moderate amount of success elsewhere.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Help me out. I have seen this reference a couple of times but can find no source for it. Has Woody been fired already? (I assume he had a 2-year deal, given that Johnson was thinking of the grand bounce before he hired him.)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Help me out. I have seen this reference a couple of times but can find no source for it. Has Woody been fired already? (I assume he had a 2-year deal, given that Johnson was thinking of the grand bounce before he hired him.)
CGC hasn't said anything about staff. It is just assumed that a defensive HC is going to go with a DC that runs his scheme.