Who Surprisingly Steps Up From Spring To Fall?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Last season my surprises from the Spring Game to the Fall games were:
Days
Joe
Chamberlain
Burden
Snoddy
There were other great first time starting performances (such as Jet5, Freeman, CGriffin), but not real surprises.

What are your top 7 choices to surprise us from the 2015 Spring Game to the ND game in the Fall?

My list is:
Allen
JJohnson
Lewis
Willis
Searcy
Jeune
Klock

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have faith in my man Shamire Devine to step up from good backup, to the premier road grading offensive guard in the ACC. He's going to continue the All-ACC OG line from Uzzi to Mason and now to Devine.
That would be huge. No pun intended, but it's still funny. ;)

The whole team if you ask me. I'm ready to GT football take it to the next level and that's only going to happen if each player elevates their game. We have a long ways to go as team if want to be holding that NC trophy up.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Brown or Devine would be my best guesses. Didn't hear much positive about them this spring.
Corey Griffin could come back strong in the fall and take a starting safety position.
Marcordes was hurt so didn't get much pub, but he could be a playmaker ... same could be said of Hankins.
Whoever starts at nickel (L.Griffin, Austin, ?) will be a key and we haven't heard many accolades about the 3 in contention.
Some freshmen will come in and make a surprise impact.
Henderson could end up overtaking that 3rd DT spot and allow Gamble to take over at SDE.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
I have faith in my man Shamire Devine to step up from good backup, to the premier road grading offensive guard in the ACC. He's going to continue the All-ACC OG line from Uzzi to Mason and now to Devine.
He did say at one point in an interview he wasn't trying to be cocky, but he thinks he can be better than mason. If he's going to do so this then it starts this offseason. I really am hoping for this man to tear it up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He did say at one point in an interview he wasn't trying to be cocky, but he thinks he can be better than mason. If he's going to do so this then it starts this offseason. I really am hoping for this man to tear it up.

Mason is not in Devine's league in terms of physical potential. Devine has all the physical tools to be an elite caliber OL. In terms of elite physical tools for his position, he's probably in Calvin Johnson's league...that's saying a lot. Coaches have a saying for guys like that "He can be as good as he wants to be." He said the same thing about Waller...and we're kinda seeing it play out in the draft process for Darren. Had Darren taken his physical gifts as seriously and worked on his craft like Calvin, Demaryius, Stephen Hill, and Smelter did during their careers, we might be talking about how GT will have a first round draft pick this year. That Waller is getting mentioned on potential alone after a very modest career here tells you how much more productivity he could have had for us.

I think Devine is absolutely in that category. If he works at his craft, and makes use of the resources GT has to get his body in peak physical condition for his position, his ceiling is as high as any athlete we've had here.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Mason is not in Devine's league in terms of physical potential. Devine has all the physical tools to be an elite caliber OL. In terms of elite physical tools for his position, he's probably in Calvin Johnson's league...that's saying a lot. Coaches have a saying for guys like that "He can be as good as he wants to be." He said the same thing about Waller...and we're kinda seeing it play out in the draft process for Darren. Had Darren taken his physical gifts as seriously and worked on his craft like Calvin, Demaryius, Stephen Hill, and Smelter did during their careers, we might be talking about how GT will have a first round draft pick this year. That Waller is getting mentioned on potential alone after a very modest career here tells you how much more productivity he could have had for us.

I think Devine is absolutely in that category. If he works at his craft, and makes use of the resources GT has to get his body in peak physical condition for his position, his ceiling is as high as any athlete we've had here.
I agree, but it doesn't matter how much potential someone has if they don't have the work ethic and dedication to realize it. It may simply be that the kid has no passion for the game. Passion spawns the dedication necessary to do what you have to do in the off season. Michael Jordan wasn't only one of the most gifted athletes in a generation, he was also one of the most tireless workers. The two together breed success, one is not enough.

I was the opposite, no matter how many hours I spent shooting baskets in my driveway as a kid, I wasn't going to be taller, jump higher, run faster or gain quicker muscle motion.