Who is your most pleasant surprise among the incoming freshmen so far?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Shouldn't we ask this question after we've at least played a game, and probably more like 6? Considering I doubt many of us are privy to practices, and pre-season reports can often be very misleading in terms of who will actually be contributing come game time.
I don't think there's anything wrong with asking this question now. Doesn't prevent it from being revisited after game 6, thus the reference to "so far" in my title. And yes, I know none of us has seen any of them play. As I stated, regarding Dotson, "from interviews". No, I don't think it's especially misleading, unless you think the coaches and players who have been asked their opinions are lying and giving praise to those who aren't doing as well and withholding praise from those who are, which seems kind of dumb.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
I actually hope none of them get to play because the rest of our boys are so good they can't get into the lineup!
I agree 100% about the player being good enough to play but they can't get into the lineup! Because you have coaches that show favoritism and promise those players that they recruited definite playing time as FRESHMAN. True freshman should earn their spots not promised to them!! If they are good enough fine play them but coaches take away from the older guys because of the promises during recruiting !!!! Politics should not be in college ball!!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100% about the player being good enough to play but they can't get into the lineup! Because you have coaches that show favoritism and promise those players that they recruited definite playing time as FRESHMAN. True freshman should earn their spots not promised to them!! If they are good enough fine play them but coaches take away from the older guys because of the promises during recruiting !!!! Politics should not be in college ball!!
Say what???

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
LOL @gt365! Do you seriously believe Paul Johnson is the kind of head coach to pull a stunt like this? In all honesty, CPJ would be the very last person in the country I'd suspect of doing so.

Well, at least now I think it's safe to say this offseason can go to hell. Ready for some football.
Wasn't talking about CPJ!

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Searcy if we a counting Red-Shirts from last year.
True Freshmen - Christian Philpott as he was having a great camp until he got hurt.

I was super excited for Marshall and Philpott when they signed. I've been trying to find out more about Philpott, but only heard that he was hurt and was supposed to return this week.

Where did you hear about his great camp? Awesome news if true

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I am not surprised at Stewart and M Marshall, I expected nothing less. They were my two can't miss guys.
My pleasant surprise so far, based on player interviews, etc, is Glanton. Did not expect any help from him this year. And we may get none. But positive reports from practice so far.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there's anything wrong with asking this question now. Doesn't prevent it from being revisited after game 6, thus the reference to "so far" in my title. And yes, I know none of us has seen any of them play. As I stated, regarding Dotson, "from interviews". No, I don't think it's especially misleading, unless you think the coaches and players who have been asked their opinions are lying and giving praise to those who aren't doing as well and withholding praise from those who are, which seems kind of dumb.

You can ask it any time you want but none of the answers mean anything because nobody has seen them play, and even the coaches haven't seen them play in game. These are less opinions and more guesses at this point.

And there is a lot of ways to be misleading without flat out lying.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Suprised by at this stage? So far gotta be MM based on the depth chart. Loved him as a prospecr but did not expect him to be ballin out so soon.

Of course if Days and Laskey are here he's likely 3rd string. WR is also shallow as is AB so may see frosh action there too.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd have to say Meiko Dotson. His offer list consisted of a bunch of MAC teams and his film wasn't overwhelming. But so far in the interviews I've read, he is the incoming CB who is getting the most praise. I have to admit I thought he was a reach maybe. Looks like we found a diamond in the rough.
This is another reason I think this class is so special. I had him in our bottom 5 along with a certain wide out that I refuse to bring up his name!!!!! As good as 2007 was, several of the 4 star players never finished here. It will be fun to watch this group over the next few years and see how they stack up.
Just how many P.J. Davis kids are in this group?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MM since he is going to be in top two at a key position with no returning experience. First Fr to play that position for CPJ @ GT I think was written in one of the AJC articles.

BTW, I don't like having to wade through all the Stewart stuff in so many threads, but I understand that it is off season. Every year it's something ...... recruiting rankings one year, unis another, and this is obviously the year of the Stewart Clan. Rather than White and Gold, I hope you can be identified by this ..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Stewart_tartan

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Kirvonte Benson, I am surprised he is even on campus

LOL you beat me to it.

look, I am not sure any of use have seen any freshman play...so clearly we are relying on reports and quotes. But for me, MM making the case for 1 is a bit of a surprise, its a hard physical spot to play. Brad Stewart making the case for 1 this quick is the other.

but both positions were wide open...so thats the no-surprise part of it.

Last edited: