Who is the most indespensable player on team?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
We have only a few "stars" on the team but some guys are more important than others because of lack of depth at that position.
The names that jump out are JT,Gotsis,Nealy, Shaq, Laskey,White, and maybe even Butker(if he punts also).

In a close race-at this time-I'm going with Gotsis.If he gets hurt ,the rebuilding Def line will be without any proven performer.What could be a struggle becomes a disaster.This would set the stage for a LONG yr on def and we are back to trying to have to outscore folks -again.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Good question.

For me Shaq Mason, Justin Thomas, Gotsis, White and Thomas standout.

Like you I would probably go with Gotsis.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Whoever wins starting tackle on Oline. Of course Gotsis as well. But we seem to have numerous guards/centers that seem to have gotten pt, but we are dangerously thin at tackle. With tackle position could be the make or break position this year if we don't find one.

You could grow White in there as well as we are dangerously low at the corner position.

As far as established players it's got to be Gotsis, Mason, and White. With a little Smelter on the side.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
We have only a few "stars" on the team but some guys are more important than others because of lack of depth at that position.
The names that jump out are JT,Gotsis,Nealy, Shaq, Laskey,White, and maybe even Butker(if he punts also).

In a close race-at this time-I'm going with Gotsis.If he gets hurt ,the rebuilding Def line will be without any proven performer.What could be a struggle becomes a disaster.This would set the stage for a LONG yr on def and we are back to trying to have to outscore folks -again.
Butker works at punter too??

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
J. Thomas by a mile. I don't want to see anyone else taking snaps for us until Jordan is ready.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Last year, I reckon it was Morgan Bailey or Attaochu IJ or Jamal or pod.

This year, Idk

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I disagree with JT as he hasn't even won the job yet and, to be honest, we really don't know what we have. For all we know, he could end up second string. I don't think that will be the case, but.... Hopefully after spring practice, he will have separated himself to the point that the JT people will be correct. With that said, I am not sure who this moniker goes to. Most indispensable? Partly it goes to the player with the most impact, but also who the least depth behind them. I am going to go with Smelter. I make my choice for several reasons. He had a huge impact last year and he is poised for a breakout year in 2014. With Waller in trouble presently (and attitude problems generally) and Autry still recovering from his second ACL, we really need a GO TO guy out there who also blocks like a man. In a close second, I would say Gotsis, for very similar reasons.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I think I have to go with the quarterback. Actually, his leadership affects the whole team, even the defense. If the quarterback does not have the rhythm and finesse to make the offense go, then the defense becomes frustrated for having to go right back on the field each time. Over time this starts to eat on the defense.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is Butker that good or is it the lack of depth on the kicking position that makes him indispensable?

If "indispensable" means a superstar for the team that is a playmaker, I vote for no one. We don't have a Calvin or a Johnny Football. We don't have a killer D player that has to be schemed around.

If "indispensible" means most valuable single individual for the team, that would be QB, whether it's JT or Byerly. But really doesn't matter unless the OL block, the AB and BB block and run and receivers catch the ball.

But if I look at all the players and think who is the best at their position compared to all other players in D1 football, I like Butker. He was the one that came to mind. I have a feeling we will be watching him in the pros for 10-15 years, just like CJ.

son of an engineer

Georgia Tech Fan
If "indispensable" means a superstar for the team that is a playmaker, I vote for no one. We don't have a Calvin or a Johnny Football. We don't have a killer D player that has to be schemed around.

If "indispensible" means most valuable single individual for the team, that would be QB, whether it's JT or Byerly. But really doesn't matter unless the OL block, the AB and BB block and run and receivers catch the ball.

But if I look at all the players and think who is the best at their position compared to all other players in D1 football, I like Butker. He was the one that came to mind. I have a feeling we will be watching him in the pros for 10-15 years, just like CJ.

Good points. But to my way of thinking, indispensable means not only an impact player but also one that has little proven depth behind him to the point that losing him would be tantamount to basically writing off the season. Last year when the mutts lost Gurley (spelling?) for a while it made a huge impact. This year for us, it would be hard to say. Maybe, Smelter or Gotsis because of a lack of depth behind them or it might be a tackle because we don't know what we have. This is probably one of those questions best answered by a coach and we know he's not talking.