Who gets moved to DL

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
With the exception of Green these guys just finished their redshirt freshman season and Freeman was in high school last year. How many tackles do you expect them to have?
I'd expect in year 7 that we would have at least one viable upperclassmen option at DE.

Expecting guys with zero experience to produce is just foolish. The cupboard is bare.

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
But that still doesn't equate to manhandle.
It's not a far leap to expect an inexperienced group of lineman thats short on talent and even shorter on depth to get manhandled.

On paper I don't think I've seen a weaker DL in my 30 years of being a Tech fan.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
With Travis at 230lbs, Cheeks at 237lbs, J Bryan at 245lbs with no experience I see no real help beyond Gotsis, Green, Gamble, Kallon from the existing roster. Rather I can envision, on obvious passing downs, a three man DL (alternating Green and Gotsis for rest) with an extra LB, using a 5 man rush from the 3 DL and 2 more from LB, S, or CB. I am sure Roof is looking at all options like this and others to (1) get a better pass rush and (2) get Gotsis and Green some rest. Another option is to move Stargel over to DT or NT and bring in Whitehead or Freeman at SDE to give Gotsis or Green a breather on those obvious passing downs. If Gurley is pounding us on the ground I have no new suggestions!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It's not a far leap to expect an inexperienced group of lineman thats short on talent and even shorter on depth to get manhandled.

On paper I don't think I've seen a weaker DL in my 30 years of being a Tech fan.

If there is one position or group where experience is overrated it is DL. CMP is telling these guys to beat their man, if not, be disruptive enough so the back 7 can make a play. Not too complicated. If these loss occurred in the back 7 I would feel where you were coming from.

You must've forgot about the DL during the '11-12 yrs

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If there is one position or group where experience is overrated it is DL. CMP is telling these guys to beat their man, if not, be disruptive enough so the back 7 can make a play. Not too complicated. If these loss occurred in the back 7 I would feel where you were coming from.

You must've forgot about the DL during the '11-12 yrs

Really? I agree that the strategery isn't all that complex, but I always thought the whole 'grown man strength' thing hurts young guys.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Good thing the game isn't played on paper (y)
Maybe knox has been talking about this all along:

flicking.jpg

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'd expect in year 7 that we would have at least one viable upperclassmen option at DE.

Expecting guys with zero experience to produce is just foolish. The cupboard is bare.
There were many people expecting Calvin Johnson to produce in 2004. They didn't look terribly foolish.

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
There were many people expecting Calvin Johnson to produce in 2004. They didn't look terribly foolish.
Lol. Comparing Calvin Johnson to what we have on our D Line. If we had a bunch of high fours or fives it would be a different story.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
What I love about college football is that everybody has gaps they have to fill each year. Everybody. And many times, the gap is between the ears. That's what college coaches get paid to do: fill those gaps. Last year preseason, I had Bama fans telling me that this was the year Saban was fully loaded. Best team in a generation. Didn't even win the Division. You think we were disappointed last year? Talk about heart break. Should have been a Bama fan.

It will all be about match ups. We don't play in a vacuum. Some teams will punish our DL for sure. That's when it's up to our OL to dish out the punishment, also. Will the increment of OL over DL be in our favor or theirs, and can we compensate other places if not. Throw in injuries, weather, penalties, brain-farts, scheduling anomalies, and you get the sport we love. Hopefully this year, "Random chance seems to have operated in our favor."