Who are here on the swarm are sidewalk fans?

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
You guys are saints. I’m impressed. I spent 10 years on campus full time through multiple degrees, I taught at Tech, my wife is an alumna, and I barely keep up with the team anymore. It’s just no fun to lose year after year in sport after sport.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If you're a sidewalk fan & under the age of 35 or so... you deserve some sort of medal.

....the kind of medal that can also examine your head. Bless you all!
I might observe that, if you think somebody becomes a sidewalk fan any about 25 or so, the 10 year period involved includes 2014 and 2016. I bet a lot of people noticed and started to follow Tech around then. But good luck on getting any evidence on that.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I hesitated to post this because I didn’t want to go too far off topic but then decided some history for our fans to discuss is close enough to talking about what caused fandom outside of attending classes at MaTech and figured it worth the post:

For those of us looking to learn more about the whistle and it’s history on campus.
Thanks midtown

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You guys are saints. I’m impressed. I spent 10 years on campus full time through multiple degrees, I taught at Tech, my wife is an alumna, and I barely keep up with the team anymore. It’s just no fun to lose year after year in sport after sport.
Well, Tech has a lot of tradition behind it, some great moments. And around the next corner might be an upset or a season that will take us all back there again. We hang in there for those moments, those surprises, and more often than not they come from a long way out of the blue. I don't need to win all the time, and I know Tech isn't going to do that. But Most of the time, even when the Jackets weren't winning, I felt we were dangerous on any given Saturday. It's good just to know, or at least have hope, that we're moving toward one of those moments, or momentous seasons.

And besides, Tech's my team, win or lose. I don't get these fans who just flit from one team to another and just latch onto whoever's winning. No, Tech's my team, and though I've never been a student, down through the years it's been important to me that the Institute has done things the right way and I'll just await the next brief, shining moment in the sun and bask in it. And that sunny day will bring a warmth that the average fan of one of the lowest common denominator factories really wouldn't understand.

Who knows? Maybe this year we'll have another one of those seasons to remember...

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well, Tech has a lot of tradition behind it, some great moments. And around the next corner might be an upset or a season that will take us all back there again. We hang in there for those moments, those surprises, and more often than not they come from a long way out of the blue. I don't need to win all the time, and I know Tech isn't going to do that. But Most of the time, even when the Jackets weren't winning, I felt we were dangerous on any given Saturday. It's good just to know, or at least have hope, that we're moving toward one of those moments, or momentous seasons.

And besides, Tech's my team, win or lose. I don't get these fans who just flit from one team to another and just latch onto whoever's winning. No, Tech's my team, and though I've never been a student, down through the years it's been important to me that the Institute has done things the right way and I'll just await the next brief, shining moment in the sun and bask in it. And that sunny day will bring a warmth that the average fan of one of the lowest common denominator factories really wouldn't understand.

Who knows? Maybe this year we'll have another one of those seasons to remember...
The Bolding is my own, but that feeling is - I hope - universal to all of us. Well done putting it into words.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I grew up all over GA and have so many negative experiences with UGA fans I by default liked tech. As I progressed through High School and early adulthood I have a fondness for the education and programs outside of football/basketball/Softball. I have always appreciated a school with high standards and Tech continues to fit that for me.

I never even applied to Tech although I may attempt my masters when I retire.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been a sidewalk fan for 61 years, through the great and terrible. There is more Glory to be had for the White and Gold, there always has been.
1658185600012.jpeg

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Since mid 14 when we started attending games have had the pleasure of meeting some really special side walk fans.

The most special ones have been parents or friends of players. All of player parents are totally thrilled to have there kidz at Gt. Sometimes the coaching has been an issue. Some of the players bad great success on field. All had injuries and some had injuries that threw them off schedule. For the most part the parents of the players and the players had no previous relative attend Tech .

The privilege of tailgating w folks like the Bryans, Wells, Morgans and others makes the games special. We always encouraged them to fight thru and see how gt will mold them to be able to cut there own path. All are on path for excellence.

I am thinking DT Chimedsa and TE Leonard are ( after grinding thru some injury or scheme issues ) will have good year.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Since mid 14 when we started attending games have had the pleasure of meeting some really special side walk fans.

The most special ones have been parents or friends of players. All of player parents are totally thrilled to have there kidz at Gt. Sometimes the coaching has been an issue. Some of the players bad great success on field. All had injuries and some had injuries that threw them off schedule. For the most part the parents of the players and the players had no previous relative attend Tech .

The privilege of tailgating w folks like the Bryans, Wells, Morgans and others makes the games special. We always encouraged them to fight thru and see how gt will mold them to be able to cut there own path. All are on path for excellence.

I am thinking DT Chimedsa and TE Leonard are ( after grinding thru some injury or scheme issues ) will have good year.
Really hope you're right about T.K. he seems to be a high ceiling guy and I am hopeful he will be able to wreak havoc this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Really hope you're right about T.K. he seems to be a high ceiling guy and I am hopeful he will be able to wreak havoc this year.
Not sure he is a havoc kind of dt.
More like a run stopper we had named Green in 14 .He would not give a lot of ground and would slant towards the hole. Not sure who played lb w him but that was best run stopper we have had in last 8 years.
Last year Parent said he was getting healthy.

He and D Knight looked like they both had feel for run stopping.

What a great thing it would to have other team behind schedule.

Ofcourse it would be great if he was a pass rusher😂

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Not sure he is a havoc kind of dt.
More like a run stopper we had named Green in 14 .He would not give a lot of ground and would slant towards the hole. Not sure who played lb w him but that was best run stopper we have had in last 8 years.
Last year Parent said he was getting healthy.

He and D Knight looked like they both had feel for run stopping.

What a great thing it would to have other team behind schedule.

Ofcourse it would be great if he was a pass rusher😂
hey man some 322lbers are fast enough for sacks :) but yes you're right his role as run stopper is likely more realistic haha

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
True sidewalk fan here. Only connection to school (and I was a Tech fan long before this) is my oldest sister was in the dual degree program. She did her first three years at Spelman and her last two at Tech, graduating with a chemical engineering degree. I grew up a fan of Tech and U(sic)GA being a product of DeKalb county. I had many childhood heroes from SWD, Columbia and Avondale that went on to play for both schools. The older I got (the smarter I got), I grew to hate the school in Athens more and more. Tech's progressive history won out over the backward thinking of the dwags. Season ticket holder too.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You are more than likely 100% correct but c'mon, let's admit it....deep down inside don't you think people who choose this school/team to follow and root for on a 100% voluntarily basis aren't just more than a touch crazy???? I only know one GT fan outside of my circle of GT fans and he is an old HS buddy from middle Ga. Everyone else I know who roots for Tech went to school there (not including wives and offspring, whom were required while taking domicile under my roof to wear the hair shirt support the Jackets). :p
"...required while taking domicile under my roof to support the Jackets" I got that beat. My father required his children to stand up for the "national anthem" which at our house was "Ramblin Wreck" when he would play it on our stereo. It was part of a collection of best known college fight songs. (Sorry Mutt fans Glory Glory to Old Georgia did not make the cut) A song that I thought was pretty cool was the Victors the Michigan fight song. Ramblin Wreck was the only fight song selected from the Deep South. As I recall Notre Dame Victory March, naturally, was on there as well as the USC fight song "Fight On" "On Wisconsin" was on there as well. Oddly enough, Washington & Lee Swing was included and as I recall was a pretty catchy tune.