Who are here on the swarm are sidewalk fans?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You are more than likely 100% correct but c'mon, let's admit it....deep down inside don't you think people who choose this school/team to follow and root for on a 100% voluntarily basis aren't just more than a touch crazy???? I only know one GT fan outside of my circle of GT fans and he is an old HS buddy from middle Ga. Everyone else I know who roots for Tech went to school there (not including wives and offspring, whom were required while taking domicile under my roof to wear the hair shirt support the Jackets). :p
Well, weren’t we all sidewalk fans before we weren’t?

I was a huge sidewalk fan of Cremins and his teams in the 80s and 90s. I left a family full of Boilermakers in Indiana to come to Tech- hadn’t ever stepped foot in Atlanta until then.
I have a couple of sons who wear the Tech gear and we’re trying hard to get the oldest in as a transfer next year. But I’d rather have him be a sidewalk fan than no fan at all!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Tech fan since '65, but was never a student.
Followed Tech primarily (and secondarily Ugag) in my early years but turned against the pups as a student in Athens - familiarity bred contempt.
Ugag grad and Ugag retiree living in Athens off and on since '72 (here continuously since '92) but exclusively a Tech fan for 50 years.
Had a pennant and homemade Tech collage on my office wall above the desk during most of my 23-year Ugag gig.
THWG.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Wait! Vespidae is on OUR side???
Kinda GIF

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
So many of our sidewalk fans I have met since moving back to the ATL are maybe more passionate than I am, so I really appreciate each and everyone of you. When I was in school in the fifties we sort of took them for granted then, GT was the only game in town so to speak, we never lost to the dwags, nationally ranked every year etc,
It's great to have each and everyone of you in the GT family.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I love hearing these origin stories. My dad is an Emory law alum so I grew up in Decatur then later Gwinnett and he was always a fan of GTMBB.

Probably 45% of my HS went to GT and 45% more went to uGA. I toured both campuses and had an offer for honors college at uGa but just couldn’t turn down GT.

19 years later, I couldn’t be happier with my choice.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I guess you could say I was a sidewalk fan have had season tickets since 1981 . Got my degree from Southern Tech but older people say I'm not a sidewalk fan, the reason they said this 99% of the people on here don't know at the time Southern Tech was part of GT. ( Who on here knew that part ?

View attachment 12682
I knew the connection.I've hired guys out of both schools.Glad to have you.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My father was killed in an airplane accident when I was three and a half. (He was a Navy flier and was testing one of the new jets. The ejection seat didn't work.) My maternal uncle was a former Tech student and a legit BMOC. He started taking me to Tech games soon after my Dad was killed. He brought me a rat cap and a Tech sweater and everything. I've been a Tech fan ever since. About 70 years, iow. No other affiliation with the place; my maths didn't allow me to even think about going there.

Btw, this explains my longstanding hatred of Duke. They we're pretty good in the 60s and beat Tech several times. Ever since I've wanted to beat them and bad every season.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Had two options growing up- Bama or Tech. One side of the family huge Bama fans, and the other side of the family was Tech. My Grandaddy was the main reason I chose Tech. His brother played baseball at Tech, and he went to Tech.

Growing up my parents had to work early in the AM so I’d go to a neighbors house to wait for the school bus. These neighbors were huge UGA homers (sidewalk fans- you know.. the kind with a mullet). My neighbor would show me videos of Herschel walker, and their 80’s run. He even gave me a UGA hat to wear whenever I wanted!

One day I went to my Grandaddy’s house (just me and him since my grandparents were no longer together and he would watch me for many weekends, because my parents were working so often and he was a GREAT man who offered to help at any time)… I walk into his house with that UGA hat.. first thing he said was: “I didn’t know you were a Georgia fan?”. I told him about how awesome Herschel was and how the 1980 Dawgs were unstoppable! He then told me about his favorite team and showed me all the cassette tapes he had of Shawn Jones and the Black watch defense.. and I was hooked. I returned the UGA hat to my neighbor the very next day. Going forward every Tech game I’d either be at my Grandaddy’s house or Bobby Dodd watching with him.

He never told me I was wrong for wearing the UGA hat and wanted me to make my own decision on who to cheer for and that is what stood out to me. He wanted me to be my own person. He got Parkinson’s in the late 90’s and passed away right around the time Paul Johnson became coach.

The first game I made it to after he passed away was Tech/FSU, and I was with a buddy who was a huge FSU fan. It was an all out slugfest offensively and he did not stop talking. It got to a point where it seemed we HAD to score every drive to stay in it.. I will never forget my buddy was talking so much trash. I thought to myself “Grandaddy- if you are here get this dude to shut the hell up”.. next play Nesbitt pitched the ball and we fumble.. FSU picks up the ball, and my buddy was all up in my face.. as he was in my face Nesbitt took the ball back from FSU (literally rips it out) and we wind up scoring on that drive, and eventually winning the game. It was an amazing emotional experience.

Sorry for the long story- I just feel like Tech men are different. My Grandaddy made me the man I am today and instilled a confidence in me that no other person could’ve done. Although I did not get into tech (because math was not my strong suit) I will be a Tech fan until I die.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Me. Grew up in middle Georgia and I became a fan when an older neighbor (Ricky Davis) got a scholarship and would get tickets for his brother and me. I was living in the Midwest surrounded by Nebraska fans when we beat them for the undisputed (in my eyes) National Championship. Got a mini season ticket package when I moved back here and later became a full season ticket holder in the upper north (hey, I’m not a GT grad, so I can’t afford the more expensive seats).