Who are here on the swarm are sidewalk fans?

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I grew up as a UGA fan, but Georgia Tech just fit me better during high school. When I started selling programs in the lower east stands in the late seventies, I officially converted to the Jackets. For me it is all about being in my hometown, having a proud tradition and having sports programs that provide a world class education to our student athletes. I love going on the road to these different schools - people respect what Ga Tech stands for. I get goose bumps when we take the field in away games. The upset wins in 2014 in Blacksburg and Athens are two memories that my two sons and I will never forget. It would be a real lift in the Fall if we can start winning some.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m from south ga and now reside in middle ga and I’ve been a die hard tech fan since 1989 and have no affiliation with the school whatsoever. I just love tech football and basketball and was wondering how many on the swarm is like me?
A person with "no affiliation with the school whatsoever..." pretty much fits the definition of a sidewalk fan. Those who are the offspring of alumni, grew up going to Tech games, alumni (obviously), are not true sidewalk fans. UGA is has tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, maybe millions who knows of sidewalk fans. With Tech it has always been a relatively rare species. Although, I did not go to Tech, my father did, as did my brother in law, and I grew up going to Tech games thus, I do not consider myself a true sidewalk fan. Others may differ in their opinion of what constitutes a sidewalk fan.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Me! Moved to ATL in 84. Became a fan because we lined so close to campus (Vine City) 1989-90 seasons (football/basketball) really did it for me. Moved back to MI in summer of 95. Stayed a Tech fan because everyone up here there a Michigan fan reminded me of every uga fan I met when I lived in GA.
Just curious. Is Michigan State a red haired stepchild in the Great Lakes State?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Right here! Funny story, My sister went to GT, got out with honors, but at the college fair, she was upset that Ga Tech wasn't there. But the Georgia Institute of Technology was.
However, I was wearing GT shirts in grade school pictures in the early 90s. In south Georgia, mutt fans are everywhere. I went to a D2 school in SC to play ball but always rocked GT gear. Our head coach was a former mutt player from the late 80s early 90s era.
Also, buddy I get season tickets with is a Cali transplant and his wife is a converted mutt fan.

JacketFan137

Banned
I just want to say that I hope a lot of our fanbase becomes more encouraging and supportive of “sidewalk” fans. I think a lot of tech fans here and in real life are a little bit snooty and disrespectful to side walk fans. I get that they likely didn’t have the same academic rigor as the people that went to tech, but sidewalk fans money counts the same and we should be more welcoming lol

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just want to say that I hope a lot of our fanbase becomes more encouraging and supportive of “sidewalk” fans. I think a lot of tech fans here and in real life are a little bit snooty and disrespectful to side walk fans. I get that they likely didn’t have the same academic rigor as the people that went to tech, but sidewalk fans money counts the same and we should be more welcoming lol
You are more than likely 100% correct but c'mon, let's admit it....deep down inside don't you think people who choose this school/team to follow and root for on a 100% voluntarily basis aren't just more than a touch crazy???? I only know one GT fan outside of my circle of GT fans and he is an old HS buddy from middle Ga. Everyone else I know who roots for Tech went to school there (not including wives and offspring, whom were required while taking domicile under my roof to wear the hair shirt support the Jackets). :p

JacketFan137

Banned
You are more than likely 100% correct but c'mon, let's admit it....deep down inside don't you think people who choose this school/team to follow and root for on a 100% voluntarily basis aren't just more than a touch crazy???? I only know one GT fan outside of my circle of GT fans and he is an old HS buddy from middle Ga. Everyone else I know who roots for Tech went to school there (not including wives and offspring, whom were required while taking domicile under my roof to wear the hair shirt support the Jackets). :p
Lol I think you’re right. Choosing to support this team is probably an indicator that you should be sent to peachford for an evaluation

LangaBanga JACKETS

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m from south ga and now reside in middle ga and I’ve been a die hard tech fan since 1989 and have no affiliation with the school whatsoever. I just love tech football and basketball and was wondering how many on the swarm is like me?
I grew up moving around all over because my dad was Air Force. I've never lived in Georgia but I've been a die hard Tech football/basketball fan ever since I could remember. I have no idea why and my friends ask me the same question as well. I did apply to Tech last week for my masters so hopefully I'll have a good reason to be a Tech fan lol

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I guess you could say I was a sidewalk fan have had season tickets since 1981 . Got my degree from Southern Tech but older people say I'm not a sidewalk fan, the reason they said this 99% of the people on here don't know at the time Southern Tech was part of GT. ( Who on here knew that part ?

1657892452286.png

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Im 100% a sidewalk fan. I grew up in the Atlanta metro area and just fell in love with GT basketball in the late 80's early 90's. When is was in high school during that time at Brookwood, I can honestly say there were just as many GT fans as UGA fans. I ended up playing baseball for Jacksonville State and graduated from there in 95 but have a remained a die hard GT fan.