Who all walked on Sr. Day?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What is your basis for this schedule, just what you think should happen? The majority of the population will never know or need to know calculus, and I've never heard of any school that has their students on this fast of a math track. The brightest, hardest working students at the private high school I attended took the AP equivalent of Calc 2 as seniors, and most seniors were in precalc or statistics.
This is what most of the kids in Ireland (and other European and Canadian kids) are learning. Most European universities offer a 3-year degree for what we do in 4 years.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think i am correct = gt cant offer anything that uga offers.
I have a hard time believing an A VERSES an S is all that stops gt from offers a BS in sports managment

It kinda is by your logic we can't offer engineering because uga has float building.

What happens is the BOR gets final say on course offereings we can ask to offer whatever we want they are not going to let us without consistent pressure from President cabrera so we have to get really creative.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Iirc BOR says Gt is a research institution and will not offer any degree that is offered by UGA.

The prez needs to do something to give us some flxibility. hI loke your idea, because we need players to become hs coaches or ga. Perhaps we could get them jointly taught (gt, ga st, emory) sports related couses ( Injury - avoidance, diagnosus, recovery; Strength/ speed / endutance measurement, improvement, special) that give Certification not Degrees.
No, after beating uga, 8 -in - a- row, ending in the 1950's, the BOR required all Tech undergraduate degrees to be BS. At that time, the BOR required that all BS degrees required calculus. That is when the rest of the sec gained on us.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is a problem with the highschool system in general. I am saying that the expectation should be that we are starting to teach calculus sophmore or junior year of highschool regardless of where you are I understand there is disparity right now and i am not faulting the kids i am faulting the educators.

We should be starting with algebra in the 6th grade, geometry should be an 8th grade course and precalc/trig should be freshmen year. Then calc 1 basically all of sophomore year and calc 2 all of junior. Senior year math should be linear algebra that way its calc 3 and diff EQ in college. We as a country do ourselves a major disservice in mathematics by slowplaying everything. Part of that is because advanced math isn't a common skillset for "education" majors who make up our teachers.
Have you been to a public school lately. No where close to what you advocate. Zero chance that happens.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
And that is thr failure of this country
When public schools are generally funded by property taxes you clearly get what you pay for. No chance our political system will allow any changes to dramatically improve primary and secondary education in the US.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So why can they offer engineering degrees that we offer.
The uga grads un st legislator control the BOR.
As i understand the rule says " Gt" may not offer and course uga offers.

Gt has 4 national college football awards for excellence named after gt coaches or athletic directors. The college football hall of fame is 1 mile from gt.

Uga is given every advantsge so the can be competitive w Ala. That has worked.

BEING creative
It seems like Gt could have an exception to the rule for sports management program. THE degree could be administered with existing resources from gt, gt research, ga state, and emory . It could offer BA - less rigorous or a mire rigorous BS. Would love to see gt research existing tech knowledge applied to sports

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When public schools are generally funded by property taxes you clearly get what you pay for. No chance our political system will allow any changes to dramatically improve primary and secondary education in the US.
It is in my school district. The average teacher's salary is approaching $150k/year. Taxes are through the roof, but the education and other services are pretty spectacular. Bad teachers are washed out of the system, so the kids are learning from the creme. It's cheaper than paying for private school and the education is actually better.