Whitehead update

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
On track while taking 30 hours of classes in a summer would have tempered expectations a bit. The AJC said he passed "all" his classes IIRC.

Again, I never saw in the AJC where it said he had passed all of his classes. As a matter of fact, it was stated several times that he was working very hard to try and graduate early.

Was that(the overload) ever mentioned by CPJ or the AA? My guess is no, gotta try to sell tickets.

I don't see why it would have been mentioned. We seem to act as fans as if we have a right to know details of peoples lives that aren't really our business to begin with. He gave it a valiant effort and seems to have come up just short. At least he WANTS to be here. I'll applaud that and his efforts and look forward to seeing him on the field next year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just gonna throw this out there...may be shooting in the dark. Quotes from the staff have indicated Whitehead "right now" has not graduated from GMC and is thus a transfer student who would have to sit out. I can't remember which thread or article but I previously read Aug 7th would be the date at GMC that grades come out / are finalized. I'm surmising there is an outside shot his graduation could still be up in the air. Perhaps there is a slim chance he obtains associates degree once grades come in and might have outside shot to play still. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
That may not have been the term limit for the online classes he was doing as well. If he became miraculously eligible on Tuesday, I would be willing to bet the NCAA would have compliance officers at Tech by lunch.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Was that(the overload) ever mentioned by CPJ or the AA? My guess is no, gotta try to sell tickets.

You gotta be kidding me. So you're saying that CPJ and the AA deliberately withheld or lied about a transfer student from GMC's progress in an attempt to sell tickets? I mean I know that some people just look for opportunities to take a dump all over how the program is run but come on that's absurd.

The following article was posted in another thread by @YJAlleyCat. Notice the last sentence, which posters in the linked thread picked up on. There were hints that this might happen, and I don't think the staff was surprised by KW not getting his degree.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/07/24/whitehead-will-shock-a-lot-of-people/

People see and remember what they want. Simple as that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
From what I understand Whitehead had a couple of on-line classes and didn't get all their material in on time. It is not unusual for on-line courses to have a different schedule then face-to-face classes. Sooooo … there's a way outside chance that he might play after all. I guess. Maybe. I hope.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
You gotta be kidding me. So you're saying that CPJ and the AA deliberately withheld or lied about a transfer student from GMC's progress in an attempt to sell tickets? I mean I know that some people just look for opportunities to take a dump all over how the program is run but come on that's absurd.

People see and remember what they want. Simple as that.

Look at my post history and see if I dump on GT or the program. I don't. This situation shows that the program is missing things with regards to academics.

There is a reason these things don't happen to FSU and it has nothing to do with the students. Also, I'm pretty sure that in any SEC school no player fails or incompletes an online class.

thwgjacket

Look at my post history and see if I dump on GT or the program. I don't. This situation shows that the program is missing things with regards to academics.

There is a reason these things don't happen to FSU and it has nothing to do with the students. Also, I'm pretty sure that in any SEC school no player fails or incompletes an online class.
Are you saying we should just give them grades? Because it seems like you're implying that.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck

Isn't this post dumping on GT and the program? Phrased a different way, you basically said if we were doing things like FSU and the SEC schools, we wouldn't be having this problem.

From what I understand Whitehead had a couple of on-line classes and didn't get all their material in on time. It is not unusual for on-line courses to have a different schedule then face-to-face classes. Sooooo … there's a way outside chance that he might play after all. I guess. Maybe. I hope.
No, things will not change. Apparently KW, Johnson, and the GMC coach all knew this could happen. He gave it his best with 100% encouragement from both Tech and GMC; he just came up short. He was prepared for it, but I'm sure he's still not happy. On the plus side, he has a year to get used to the hell that Tech can be.