Article White Tops Gold in Spring Game

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
[FLOAT_LEFT][figcap]Video courtesy of ACC Digital Network[/figcap][/FLOAT_LEFT]ATLANTA, GA – Another spring is in the books and Yellow Jackets fans are characteristically confused.

We won! But we lost. Our defense got off the field on 3rd downs! What’s happened to our offense? Interception! Interception…

So it goes with spring games and today was no different. Highlights for either team ultimately led to the question – “Was that a good play, a bad play, or both?”

Here’s what we know. White defeated Gold by a final of 13-3. In an age of high powered offenses including Georgia Tech’s own, it’s safe to conclude the defense got the upper hand today. “It was pretty much a defensive struggle,” said Head Coach Paul Johnson.

Senior quarterback Justin Thomas led the Gold team to victory despite connecting on just 4 of 13 pass attempts. One of those completions, however, resulted in the day’s lone touchdown as Ricky Jeune hauled in a contested corner fade around the arms of defensive back Step Durham. Thomas added an additional 93 yard on the ground, the majority coming on a single 76 yard option keeper in the first half.

The offenses combined for 403 total yards on 108 plays. They converted just 5 of 25 3rd down attempts. Neither statistic is likely to accommodate a win this fall.

But here’s the spring game giant dose of perspective. For one, maybe the defense has improved. Redshirt freshman Brentavious Glanton and redshirt senior Francis Kallon disrupted plays in the middle for both defenses. Said junior defensive end KeShun Freeman, “Everyone had a good energy. Everyone had a mindset to just work together and make plays. I feel like we did a pretty good job.”

Second, according to Johnson, today’s second string offensive line was entirely walk-ons except one. As a fan it feels safe to be pleased that the defensive line, full of scholarship players, won that battle. And it was accomplished despite the absence of Pat Gamble, a redshirt senior anchor on the defensive line, who did not participate today.

Despite the offense’s meager output there were still signs of potential future success. First, the offenses had zero fumbles. Zero. Think about that, both relative to spring games past as well as the 2015 season. As many times as the Jackets shot themselves in the foot in close games in 2015, any improvement in ball handling in 2016 will be welcomed by all with open arms.

Second, Tech enters the summer with few lingering injuries. While the offensive line has taken its hits during spring camp, depth at A-Back and B-Back were luxuries not afforded by the 2015 Yellow Jackets. An influx of freshman talent will join all positions on June 15th.

With spring in the books, the offseason dominoes will fall. Summer workouts, fall camp, and Fan Day all lead to the last one - a trip to Dublin, Ireland. The countdown to Toe Meets Leather begins.

Last edited by a moderator:

yellowjacketjosh

Georgia Tech Fan
such a big defensive struggle yesterday. let's hope our guys can get better offensively by august. Kind of dissapointed in the crowd size yesterday, but it's better than 100. Tired of all the Georgia people making fun of our spring game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Georgia fans have conveniently lost perspective. Just look back at last year's then school record-breaking attendance of 46,000.

Screen-Shot-2015-04-14-at-6.13.26-PM.png

Source: http://grady.uga.edu/fiveseventy/?p=762

yellowjacketjosh

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah I saw that. the upper part of sanford isn't even full, yet this year they are talking about how they got 93k and tech got 9k. It's a spring game, no one cares, yet they have to go all over twitter and instagram saying that the tech fanbase isn't loyal and they send pics to everyone and even rant our own pages. It's stupid and silly.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Funny how they payed 65k to get Luda to lure the 96k crowd. We payed Nothing and we got close to 10k. Funny how they don't mention that.
I have gone from very cautiously optimistic to pessimistic. I wasn't at the game so everything is second hand, but seem to explain Johnson's even more critical than is usual for him response after the scrimmage. This time, he did not even give JT a passing grade. If the offense has in fact gone south again, it will be a very long and uninspired year. It seems to me that even now the participation and response from a normally very active board is tepid, even with the spring practice and game. I guess those who the gods will punish will first make them GT fans.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
It's really hard to quantify the performance. They do need to get their energy up, but it's also hard to gauge JT's performance based on his non-contact status. In all, I am glad we have the summer, and there does need to be some improvement, but I won't jump off the cliff just yet. BTW. Here's the whole game in low res format:

If you would like, I'd be glad to do a whole season thread with all the coaches shows, etc here as with the other GT sites.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's really hard to quantify the performance. They do need to get their energy up, but it's also hard to gauge JT's performance based on his non-contact status. In all, I am glad we have the summer, and there does need to be some improvement, but I won't jump off the cliff just yet. BTW. Here's the whole game in low res format:

If you would like, I'd be glad to do a whole season thread with all the coaches shows, etc here as with the other GT sites.

I gave you a "like", so I guess that's a binding contract.