Which units impress Thursday night?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
QB: I'm bullish on the physical abilities of this unit, but nervous about their ability to direct the new attack. Hesitant to believe they'll perform well.

RB: I can see Mason having an impact with his versatility. I'd like him to catch some passes out of the backfield. Griffin is the only one I can see looking like a CU backfield contributor. He may not play much, but I think he'll just look different when he carries the ball. Overall doubtful that this group has elite speed/quickness to show out vs. the CU defense.

WR: Can't wait to see this group. We seem to be physical and athletic here. Obviously it sounds like Brown has game-breaking ability in the slot (love to see him in jet motion).

OL: We're not there physically yet, but I think CBK will have these guys functioning at a high level in terms of execution. Pass pro will be an issue, but I doubt they forgot how to run block altogether...

TE: It's not just that we have a TE now, it's that I think we have a really good one. Davis' film from UCONN is awesome. He will be a huge key to our success. I can see him leading us in receptions Thursday.

DL: We're gonna get pushed around here. It is what it is right now. Hopefully we'll be quick?

LB: We may be better at LB than the past few years, maybe not. But if we are, it may not show up because of how weak we'll be on the DL.

DB: As excited as I have ever been to see a group. We look like we have multiple future NFL picks in the defensive backfield. Our best package may end up being dime... I think these guys will play well, and maybe get a couple picks or forced fumbles by rocking WRs after the catch, but they'll probably get torched some, too due to lack of pass rush.

ST: Similar to the DB group, I'm pumped about this unit (probably because return and coverage units will have a lot of aforementioned DBs).

Deleted member 2897

Well here is the good news (I think we'll do better than we usually do), which is bad news (because its still a big hill to climb).

The average score over the last 4 years is Clemson 36, Georgia Tech 16. That however, hides a bit of what the games were actually like. The average halftime score was Clemson 26, Georgia Tech 5. So the average final margin was already in place at half time. This means Clemson starts rotating players and takes their foot off the gas a bit. So you should definitely take Georgia Tech to cover the spread. 36 points?

Our average total yards is 197 yards. That is nasty bad. The single most total yards we've had in the last 4 games is 230. The low is 124.

So really, it wouldn't take much for us to play better than we usually do. I actually expect that. Clemson still has a ton of weapons. We can't get down 20 points in the first half again. We have to attack. We have to bring numbers advantages to 1 part of the line or the other with blitzes and make Lawrence get rid of the ball 1 way or the other quickly. Then we have to make tackles.

Really the only wildcard I'm worried about is the poise of Lucas Johnson. He's spent 3 years waiting for this moment, so he's got to stay calm in the middle of what will undoubtedly be a tornado. Its going to be hard and to suck. You can't let that get to you. I expect lots of roll outs, read options, and close passes/screens to the TEs and RBs. Those are easiest to do and will help build confidence. I also suspect thats what Clemson defense will try and shut down - leave their CBs on an island and put everyone else up tight and bring the kitchen sink.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Malachi Carter got some really huge praise from Coach Pat, as he did in high school from @Yomanser ;). Jalen Camp has got the years of experience under him and Tyler Davis may be our best offensive player according to reports. If A. Brown can keep his cool as a freshman walking into Death Valley for career game 1, then I think this receiving group could be lethal.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, the OL and QBs have to be at a good level for any other offensive unit to look good, so it won't be a fair evaluation. And who stands out really represents who gets the opportunity which mostly has to do with what Clemson is doing on the other side of the ball. I expect QB to be a mixed bag. Some flashes in the run game, some really good reads and throws, and some bad ones taking sacks, throwing picks, or missing the open guy.

OL, well, I'm optimistic. Clemson has a huge size/experience edge on this one, but we go up against their DL and not their OL, which is a much better matchup. It's a big question mark for them, but we know what their precedent is so I expect a big challenge.

For RB I feel like Dontae Smith is the forgotten man and can definitely show well.

On D, I'm actually less bullish on the secondary due to lack of experience here but they are certainly deep and athletic. A bit of feast/famine there. Hopefully they can create some TOs.

ST -- everything about this unit has me juiced.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
As a whole the Defense needs to be ready, Clemson has got elite talent at the skill positions and if Trevor Lawrence still has a clean uniform with no grass stains by halftime we are in trouble !

bos

Helluva Engineer
I think the offense will be able to keep up and score a good bit of points. Defense will have a tougher time. I think it'll be a high scoring game.

QBs are a question mark, but one thing is certain, they will have their targets. I think the WR group is extremely underrated. Camp, Carter, Sanders, and Brown are a heck of group to throw to. When you add Tyler Davis, one of the best TE in the conference, you don't need the best and most accurate passer. RBs are a strength of the roster, that's not a secret.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
QB : I think this position is primed to surprise. Johnson has played in similar offenses and can handle this, I thin TO is a better passer than we know and Graham will light up people with his speed (although I think he stays on the bench).

RB: PACKED, this postilion is just as talented if not more so than the WR's , absolutely no issues here

WR: Loaded ! no way this group gets stopped

OL : UNPROVEN, worried about the pass blocking hoping the run game keeps defenses honest.

TE : need to see exactly how this plays out, TE in pass routes is one thing, can he run block ?

DL : was very worried here but now wondering if the talk from the coaches is true. They are said to be bigger and talented -- we shall see

LB : Defense gets better the further away from the line it gets, talented guys here but maybe unproven.

DB : This is where the meat is, the only question is will the talent be negated by having to keep their eyes in the backfield to help in run support. If they do then they will be subject to getting beat over the top.

overall the D line is where the rubber will meet the road. Iif it can hold it's own our talented defene will be better than some think. The offense is absolutely not a worry (pass rushers can be minimized with short passes and running).

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Clempsons offense is far better than their defense. Our defense I expect to play better than our offense.

I think our Safety and Corner positions shine. I expect to see more than one highlight out of them. It will be interesting either way.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Clempsons offense is far better than their defense. Our defense I expect to play better than our offense.

I think our Safety and Corner positions shine. I expect to see more than one highlight out of them. It will be interesting either way.

I'm skeptical about CB, CGC been recruiting too many corners, tells me he doesn't see what he really needs for the way his corners need to play in his style of defense. I'm guessing Swilling may play well in his style, but not sure about that.