Which state produces the most draft picks, 2017?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
So uga only had one player drafted. The question for the board is this: Does uga cheat less than clemson, or do their fans just not spend their money as wisely?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has recruiting plus coaching. Venables coming over completely changed their entire program.
If what you are saying is that Venables bought into Swinney's fast-paced, 100 play a game philosophy and produced an outstanding defense to complement it, maybe you aren't far off. Steele got a bus ticket out of town because he insisted, too loudly sometime, that the offense slow down to give his defense a sideline rest. Swinney wanted to go faster and found himself a DC who agreed with him. (And happened to provide another piece of the Swinney puzzle: the guy is a great recruiter.)

Milwaukee

Banned
If what you are saying is that Venables bought into Swinney's fast-paced, 100 play a game philosophy and produced an outstanding defense to complement it, maybe you aren't far off. Steele got a bus ticket out of town because he insisted, too loudly sometime, that the offense slow down to give his defense a sideline rest. Swinney wanted to go faster and found himself a DC who agreed with him. (And happened to provide another piece of the Swinney puzzle: the guy is a great recruiter.)

Like I said, Venables completely changed that program. They went from good to elite.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I have said for a few years not that Clemson has had a top 5 coaching staff. They are proving it. They have built a machine there. Wouldn't mind our guys taking a look at how they improved so much and try to copy some of their techniques.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have said for a few years not that Clemson has had a top 5 coaching staff. They are proving it. They have built a machine there. Wouldn't mind our guys taking a look at how they improved so much and try to copy some of their techniques.
Curriculum and money. Swinney has had two ADs and a school president who went all in with him, and that quirky "IPTAY" with more money than sense and will provide him with about anything the administration doesn't -- two NC runs didn't hurt -- and that is not much. From the indoor practice facility to that ostentatious football building, weight and lockerrooms. I have a problem with the building, but from what I gather the entire campus is a huge construction site. And of course the counter to criticism is that "We have to compete for top recruits." Swinney and Venables are pretty much a 4-year lock since both have sons as walk-ons this fall. So, as with FSU, the ACC needs to keep up on the field. Should be a fun time.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Swinney has had two ADs and a school president who went all in with him,
This is the bottom line, but don't leave out other factors Swinney himself brought up; everyone from the students, the fans, and the boosters up to the president are on the same page.

That's not to diminish the other things you brought up, but all that flows from the above.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is the bottom line, but don't leave out other factors Swinney himself brought up; everyone from the students, the fans, and the boosters up to the president are on the same page.

That's not to diminish the other things you brought up, but all that flows from the above.
I gather Swinney made a good living after he was fired at Alabama and before being hired at Clemson selling commercial real estate. It shows because he can and will sell at every opportunity. I know he coaches a little league travel team and after the NC he is being swamped with fans, and requests for pictures and autographs. He signs some before, and will stay as long afterward as needed, just nothing during game time. I think I remember reading when Crimins was hired as Tech's basketball coach he got a horse and road dorm to dorm and all over the campus selling his team. Maybe I imagined that, but selling was the point.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Look no further than their DTs and LBs on defense and Deshaun Watson on O and you will find your answer

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Regarding money, Clemson was 39th($83.5M) in athletic revenue in the latest season in the USA Today database. GT was 42nd ($77.2M).
I wonder if Clemson figures this sum into it's "athletic revenue" total:
Facilities such as locker rooms and weight rooms are a significant way that prospects compare schools, which is why Clemson has built a $55 million football operations facility that includes an HD theater, a barber shop, laser tag, a bowling alley, a slide and an outdoor area with fire pits, miniature golf and a beach volleyball court.

In comparison, GT's new lockerroom plan is expected to cost a whopping total of 3 to 5 million.

Imo, this list means next to nothing. Schools spend lots of money on athletics, not all of it is accounted for in lists like these. Not by a long shot.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...-plans-moving-forward/dEKRWtRulQaFctaqT8sFQJ/

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Clemson figures this sum into it's "athletic revenue" total:

In comparison, GT's new lockerroom plan is expected to cost a whopping total of 3 to 5 million.

Imo, this list means next to nothing. Schools spend lots of money on athletics, not all of it is accounted for in lists like these. Not by a long shot.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...-plans-moving-forward/dEKRWtRulQaFctaqT8sFQJ/

It means much more than nothing. The operating budget is important. That is pretty much what the USA Today database shows.

You are correct that capital expenditures are generally not included. That doesn't make the information that is included useless.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It means much more than nothing. The operating budget is important. That is pretty much what the USA Today database shows.

You are correct that capital expenditures are generally not included. That doesn't make the information that is included useless.
I'm assuming your original post (Regarding money.... ) that I quoted was in response to this post from Skeptic:

Curriculum and money. Swinney has had two ADs and a school president who went all in with him, and that quirky "IPTAY" with more money than sense and will provide him with about anything the administration doesn't -- two NC runs didn't hurt -- and that is not much. From the indoor practice facility to that ostentatious football building, weight and lockerrooms. I have a problem with the building, but from what I gather the entire campus is a huge construction site. And of course the counter to criticism is that "We have to compete for top recruits." Swinney and Venables are pretty much a 4-year lock since both have sons as walk-ons this fall. So, as with FSU, the ACC needs to keep up on the field. Should be a fun time.

If so, then capital expenses are exactly what Skeptic was referring to. That is why I brought it back to the forefront. Clemson has a ton of "athletic" money and they're not afraid to spend it. Those expenditures have a huge impact on their success. Operating expenses.... not so much.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm assuming your original post (Regarding money.... ) that I quoted was in response to this post from Skeptic:

If so, then capital expenses are exactly what Skeptic was referring to. That is why I brought it back to the forefront. Clemson has a ton of "athletic" money and they're not afraid to spend it. Those expenditures have a huge impact on their success. Operating expenses.... not so much.

IPTAY is actually part of the revenue in the database. Click on it, click on Clemson, look at the part that says "Contributions". That's where that is.

Clemson had fallen behind in facilities and hired DRad, builder of things, to build a bunch of stuff. I'm sure they have had a capital campaign and I'm sure they are financing some also. It isn't like they are Texas or Ohio State.