which espn do we need to watch the games?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
mods... i wasnt sure where to post this so i posted it in the largest forum to get the most views! feel free to move it if need be. heh. like i have a choice. tia

#ESPNjacket

long story short. i stream using a firebo / kodi. i currently subscribe to the orange sling which has espn. i also subscribe to sportz tv iptv . it has everything including ppv ... and most cable espn channels but not espn+.

id like to drop sling completely but if i do that i lose the option of using the espn app which includes i THINK acc network ... fox sports south... and the espn cable channels and espn watch.

when i looked at the new stand alone espn+ for $5 a month it was unclear if the acc games were going to be SPLIT between cable and stand alone app.

can you explain where the acc network games are going to be broadcast in total? i suspect they want people to spend the extra cash for a provider AND espn+

tia

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't have it, but as I understand it ESPN+ does not include the linear live channels.(ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews, SEC, Longhorn, and ACC in the future) It only includes some lesser tiered things such as Ivy League football. If that is the case, ESPN+ will not satisfy what you are looking for. You won't be able to watch ACC or SEC football on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN+

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
For $40 per month for youtube tv (so $160 between September and December) you can get all of the espn channels (including sec and supposedly acc when it launches) FS1 and 2, FS South and Southeast, CBSSN, NBCSN, and local channels, plus espn+, and other traditional channels. Since you can start and stop at any time that might work well for getting games in the fall.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
Ditto on the YouTube TV - we've had it for over a year and really like it. You also get access to WatchESPN so if it's not on the YouTube TV app, it's on there. It also has unlimited DVR storage and on demand shows.

So far there's only been 1 obscure basketball game that we couldn't get on either app but getting some bunny ears solved that (it was on the local Peachtree TV channel)

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
For $40 per month for youtube tv (so $160 between September and December) you can get all of the espn channels (including sec and supposedly acc when it launches) FS1 and 2, FS South and Southeast, CBSSN, NBCSN, and local channels, plus espn+, and other traditional channels. Since you can start and stop at any time that might work well for getting games in the fall.
Hmmmmm...I've been keeping EXPENSIVE cable/uverse for years for the sole purpose of making sure I had all the football games. Perhaps this is a good option for me soon....thanks!

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
Hmmmm I just checked into Youtube TV and it says not available in my area. Why would that be?
From how I understand it, YouTube has to partner with a local station(s) to show their content. If the market is too small, it may not be worth for YouTube to pursue, maybe the local-affiliated ABC / NBC / FOX / CBS doesn't want to partner with YouTube, or they're actively working on a deal.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't have it, but as I understand it ESPN+ does not include the linear live channels.(ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews, SEC, Longhorn, and ACC in the future) It only includes some lesser tiered things such as Ivy League football. If that is the case, ESPN+ will not satisfy what you are looking for. You won't be able to watch ACC or SEC football on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN+

This. ESPN+, at least for the foreseeable future, will only have things that haven't traditionally been on cable.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
From how I understand it, YouTube has to partner with a local station(s) to show their content. If the market is too small, it may not be worth for YouTube to pursue, maybe the local-affiliated ABC / NBC / FOX / CBS doesn't want to partner with YouTube, or they're actively working on a deal.

This is correct. The syndicated games that are shown on local TV stations (whether network affiliates, Fox Regionals, or other local outlets) will not be available on WatchESPN in your market if their rights to your market are purchased. This should not be a problem as of August, 2019 with the ACC Network coming.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Also with YouTube TV and the chrome browser you can spoof your location with an add-on thereby allowing you to access local programming anywhere in the US. Comes in handy for NFL games in the dc area where all we get are Ravens and Redskins games. Obviously I can spoof the Atlanta area also to get GT coverage not aired locally (which hasn't really happened yet)

We have YouTube TV and Philo and have never looked back at cable or DirecTV

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
but for the fact i cant get all the odd espn channels that carry the acc network i would kick sling to the curb and use sportztv iptv period.

$14 a month for ppv (fights ufc etc) tv world wide including almost all of the espn channels...

it also has fox abc cbs nbc fox fx fs1 fs2 usa hbo sho cim etc...,.. all for $14 a month. but for the new espn lineup this is all id ever need.

im going to pay my $14 for a month tomorrow morning so i can watch the ufc fight tomorrow nite. check out the sportztvs line up here......

http://jc.durextv.xyz/home/channel#!#data

i am hearing impaired so i try to get captions. i use cinema tv for everything including movies. the only reason i use sportz if because it has live sportz which cinema does not, it does have events on demand.

with cinema tv you can add captions at the click of a button and auto binge series like the sopranos shameless ray donovan. breaking bad. etc

https://cinemaapk.com

once i figure out how to watch the acc network ill have my cable bill down to $83 a month for 200mbs. i basically cut the cable when my bill was 220 a month. bought a fire tv an love it.

Last edited:

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
YouTube TV is the best for domestic sports at the ~40$-level. I was very pleased with the channel availability on the mid-level DirecTV Now plans, but the app itself sucked.

This could all change based on who picks up the ACCN (I’d bet 2-5 GT games will be on ACCN). Given they have built the reputation for live sports, I see no reason why YouTube TV won’t pick up the ACCN.

Also, as an aside, ESPN streaming services are shoddy without regard for what streaming platform you are using. I haven’t had problems with other streamers. Silly given the premium they charge for their channels...