Which conference should define Tech next 20 yrs?

Which conference should define Tech next 20 yrs?

• Total voters

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Shouldn’t you be looking at win %. I suspect they played more games in the last 9 year period as well.
I am not trying to skew numbers, that is just more work than simply adding up wins.
Not by 9 years, but by decade. (not trying to skew numbers just easier to do the math)
60s - 31%
70s - 58%
80s - 61%
90s - 76%
00s - 52%
10s - 65%

The 2010s were mostly in the SEC. Going by decade, A&M is doing better in the SEC than they did any decade except for the 90s.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Neither Maryland, nor Rutgers has finished in the top 25 since joining the Big 10. Nebraska finished 24th and 25th the first two years and hasn't finished ranked in the 8 years since then. Joining the Big 10 and getting that extra money obviously isn't a ticket for success.

It depends on what you mean by success. Before they joined the Big 10 Rutgers' athletics were a complete disaster. Not just football but the entire department. This was reflected in the way their teams were for the most part absolutely crushed by other Big 10 teams. Once they started getting the more of the payout of conference money a few years after joining they worked their way up to being a competitive program and have doled out serious money for facility upgrades. The football team may not but much to look at it but as a whole they're in a much better place due to that money.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It depends on what you mean by success. Before they joined the Big 10 Rutgers' athletics were a complete disaster. Not just football but the entire department. This was reflected in the way their teams were for the most part absolutely crushed by other Big 10 teams. Once they started getting the more of the payout of conference money a few years after joining they worked their way up to being a competitive program and have doled out serious money for facility upgrades. The football team may not but much to look at it but as a whole they're in a much better place due to that money.
The football team has averaged just over 3 wins a year in the 7 years since joining the Big 10. In the 7 years prior to that they averaged just over 8 wins a season. Thats a pretty massive drop off. They basically took more money to become a punching bag.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
The football team has averaged just over 3 wins a year in the 7 years since joining the Big 10. In the 7 years prior to that they averaged just over 8 wins a season. Thats a pretty massive drop off. They basically took more money to become a punching bag.

I'm not sure how much you know about Rutgers' football history but they've been a punching bag for the last 40 years outside of that pre Big 10 stretch. It's the greatest stretch of success in the school's modern history and it happened in a diminished Big East and AAC. Given the state of the athletic department at the time and lack of state support it was unlikely to continue especially after Schiano left. It was only a matter of time at that point. Joining the Big 10 probably accerlated it and hiring Chris Ash certainly did not help. The non-football facilities were also really bad. Stuff like this would never have happend without them joining the Big 10. That's huge for the school's athletics. I think they're in a much better place now, as a whole, then they would be as an also ran AAC program and I don't know any Rutgers fans who would argue with that.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Only in the past few days have I come to learn that we practically had an offer from the B1G. I have been in tears since I learned this, nevermind all the bitching and griping I did when Maryland split.

Can we gave a do over? I’m sick of the ACC and the Tobacco Road Cabal.