Which conference should define Tech next 20 yrs?

Which conference should define Tech next 20 yrs?

• Total voters

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
As an addendum to the CFB expansion thread..

Which conference in a perfect world, blending all considerations of athletics, students and alumni, best suits Tech’s interests, suitability and capability?

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech should be in the ACC but I voted for the pac-12. The CA schools in the Pac-12 are a lot like Tech: prestigious research universities, mildly apathetic fan bases, occasionally successful in basketball and football but inconsistent over the past couple decades. U-dub fits this bill as well.

Shame the other half of the conference looks like the SEC academically and the AAC athletically.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we can stay in the ACC - We have a good amount of decent schools. Just need an additional powerhouse to help keep the brand up

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech should be in the ACC but I voted for the pac-12. The CA schools in the Pac-12 are a lot like Tech: prestigious research universities, mildly apathetic fan bases, occasionally successful in basketball and football but inconsistent over the past couple decades. U-dub fits this bill as well.

Shame the other half of the conference looks like the SEC academically and the AAC athletically.
Agreed, but incompatible geographically. Can't spend that much flying teams of 100 people around every week. Not to mention the equipment

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This. I can’t imagine a home schedule of Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, And Maryland.
I have to say, it causes the same sort of emotional reaction to me as saying we will be facing Pitt, Duke, Pitt, Miami, UNC etc. In the ACC, the only teams that really move the needle s far as feeling like a "big game atmosphere" (to me) are FSU and Clemson. To a lesser extent, Miami and Duke (only because I cannot imagine a year in which we don't play Duke). The rest of the league might as well be Iowa, Rutgers and Indiana. I am not saying I favor a switch just that there isn't any sort of emotional attachment to being in the ACC. I am for whatever is best financially after all factors (TV, tickets, travel, etc.) are considered.

Deleted member 2897

Yep, but the challenge is the PAC-12 doesn’t participate in the major sports.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
This. I can’t imagine a home schedule of Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, And Maryland.
gross dumb and dumber GIF

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
We've been screwed by Tobacco Road for too long. Anywhere but the ACC.

B1G is a fit academically, but us old guys know that our real rivals are Auburn and Tennessee, along with the Dwags--who don't want us in the SEC. That might be enough reason to go there.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
What's the best market for tv viewers. That's where the big money comes from. Geographically UCF (not a good match academically-might as well bring in Kennessaw State) Tulane to get the new Orleans market and good trip Navy but nobody wants to play 3O SMU/Rice to get Dallas market Memphis but not good academics WVU but not a great destination and not great academics. Baylor would be good for athletics but not a good destination and has good tv appeal. Not a lot of great choices for expansion and ND needs to be full time.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
SEC makes the most sense from a strictly sports POV...but we all know that probably will never happen again. Dodd's folly indeed.

ACC is the best fit for GT overall (Academically, sports, geographic, etc), but it needs to start thinking on a more strategic level like the SEC and B1G or else all of its members will be poached or leave because those paychecks in the SEC and B1G is hard to turn down.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I do think we are best aligned to ACC given geography hurting the B1G and the SEC hurting academic alignment. Not that I even believe the SEC would bring us in.

Selfishly I am more of a basketball guy and think the ACC lines us best for that. The geographic requirements for sports other than basketball and football also makes it so unlikely to have healthy travel budgets.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Reading transcripts, I think we got the right Commish, but it might be too late. He's really pushing football and for the conference to increase the importance of it. If we can get ND 100% in, (we have their conference rights for a while) we might be able to poach a Big10 (Penn St my choice bc championship level in olympic sports and 100,000 seat stadium thats always full.). if not, the houston cougars my be the next best thing. I'd actually be fine with going all out to poach Vandy, but that'll be a long shot. Although that will open the door for ok st to join oklahoma in the $ec.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Reading transcripts, I think we got the right Commish, but it might be too late. He's really pushing football and for the conference to increase the importance of it. If we can get ND 100% in, (we have their conference rights for a while) we might be able to poach a Big10 (Penn St my choice bc championship level in olympic sports and 100,000 seat stadium thats always full.). if not, the houston cougars my be the next best thing. I'd actually be fine with going all out to poach Vandy, but that'll be a long shot. Although that will open the door for ok st to join oklahoma in the $ec.
I like all of this except the Vanderbilt part

Techster

Helluva Engineer

No one is leaving the B1G for the ACC. Not gonna happen given B1G media and compensation package may be better than the SEC. They're definitely not leaving the B1G for the ACC.