Which coach on GT staff (outside of CGC) should feel most pressure to improve?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
one game does not make a season. just hope we can keep it up. The D created turnovers and shut down the run. Got to give credit to the O and especially a great game by Sims with no turnovers. Finally we have a kicker. This win was similar to what VPI did against Howell. Lots of pressure and several sacks. Those fumbles were huge factors in this win.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
one game does not make a season. just hope we can keep it up. The D created turnovers and shut down the run. Got to give credit to the O and especially a great game by Sims with no turnovers. Finally we have a kicker. This win was similar to what VPI did against Howell. Lots of pressure and several sacks. Those fumbles were huge factors in this win.
That’s why the boo hooers after the NIU loss are idiots.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Andrew Thacker, Marco Coleman, Brent Key, Tashard Choice, Chris Wiesehan, Jeff Popovich, Nathan Burton, are all keepers.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there's enough data in 2.4 seasons for someone like myself with an average fan's knowledge of the game who follows the team closely to have a reasonably informed opinion of what would be best for the program going forward. So here's mine:

Collins should stay at least through the 2022 season barring a total collapse like 1 or 0 more wins for the remainder of the year. If I didn't think this was the case, I wouldn't be posting in this thread, but I really do believe keeping him and giving him the chance to prove his methods can work at Tech is the most prudent choice for the program. Most of us want him to succeed. I truly believe he loves Tech and if he were to be successful would remain here for a while rather than jumping at the first chance for a higher-paying job. This is his dream job, and that isn't likely to be the case for a would-be replacement. Also, we saw with the Carolina game and Clemson game to some degree that our team is capable of playing pretty well right now. Obviously, we need to continue to improve and be more consistent. We still have a fair shot at a bowl game and a decent shot to retain and even improve upon a good recruiting class - both encouraging signs. CGC is not an X & O guy, especially on offense. He's more of a Dabo-type coach that players tend to like and can recruit/market well. I think this model can work at a school like Tech mainly because it's in Atlanta and now because of the NIL opportunities. Time will tell.

Our coordinators, CDP and CAT, are clearly intelligent individuals. It takes less than 5 minutes to figure that out listening to their press conferences. They understand the X's and O's, and in my opinion, are actually pretty good at teaching their players. For example, I think our tackling made a noticeable improvement in 2019, and our players for the most part continue to tackle well. I think the quarterbacks make solid decisions for their level of experience and demonstrate good throwing mechanics and footwork.

Yesterday, the defense was tasked with overcoming a really good opposing quarterback, a Tech offense that had 2 quick turnovers and a few more 3 and outs, 2 safeties that couldn't keep up with receivers, and arguably our 2 best strongside DE's on the bench with injury (no disrespect to Jared Ivey who has played great for a 2nd yr player and will be a monster in the future). That was too much to overcome, and we let go of the rope in the first half. Pitt's offense is probably good enough to score 28 on UGA, Clemson, or Alabama. That game should have been a shootout, but our offense couldn't keep up partly due to injuries on the line and our best receiver being out but additionally because of poor playcalling.

Listening to Roddy Jones on yesterday's broadcast confirmed to me that despite his seemingly strong knowledge of the game, CDP isn't consistently making great playcalling decisions in the game. As someone else said on this board, he's a jack of all trades and master of none. I'm sure it's not easy to make a good play call in a high-stakes environment with a few short seconds to decide; I know I wouldn't be able to, but there are people who can. We should be able to find someone who can get the job done here. Doesn't have to be a great recruiter - CGC and the position coaches have that covered. Doesn't have to break the athletic budget - I would think a youngish someone with a good resume at the FCS or G5 level might work well.

The good news is that we have really talented skill players on offense who know how to play within a wide variety of offensive schemes. I would think a hungry offensive coordinator would love the chance to coach this bunch.

I think also we have to stay the course with CBK despite the slow progress on the O-line. I still believe he must be a good coach else he wouldn't have been at Alabama or have had the success he did prior to that. Another season like this though, and I may change my mind. Transfer portal here we come.

I think CAT is doing a pretty good job, yesterday's result notwithstanding. In addition, CGC can continue to bring his own expertise to the defensive side of the ball and mentor CAT along. I think the ceiling is pretty high for CAT as he is becoming a better coach Every Single Day (TM), but what you see is what you are going to get with CDP.

This was therapeutic for me. Thanks for reading and would love to hear others' thoughts.

Last edited:

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with your post. I'm the one mentioning CDP as jack of all trades master of none. His play-calling is absolutely a problem. If CBK is calling red-zone plays then he is a problem too.

I would like to see CGC move to a Veer and Shoot offense as soon as possible. We have a quarterback that can make the throws like Dillon Gabriel from last year.

I would be pleased with that move. Moving to an offensive scheme that is reliant too much on offensive line movement is a recipe for disaster. NO PRO-STYLE, NO I-FORMATION.

Tempo, Tempo all the time. Like I've been saying I think Josh Heupel would have been the ideal coach if I was looking for a coach whether head coach or coordinator.

Hire Alex Golesh or somebody that knows Heupel's offense mindset.